The Atlasian Sentinel
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:18:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Atlasian Sentinel
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30]
Author Topic: The Atlasian Sentinel  (Read 63965 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #725 on: September 05, 2011, 03:34:35 PM »

The Atlasian Sentinel
Interview with SoEA Benconstine
By Tmthforu94

Thank you for contacting me about an interview, SoEA Benconstine. How are you?

Ben: Thank you for interviewing me.  I'm doing quite well.  I'm having a mild panic attack about school starting tomorrow, but I am otherwise content.

Be grateful, I started three weeks ago. Are you pleased with the job you've done as SOEA over the course of your time there?

Ben: I definitely am.  I feel like foreign affairs has become more prominent, which is my overarching goal.  Additionally, I am pleased with the actual policy successes; notably the diplomatic agreement with China, which was started while I was GTO Ambassador and completed during my term, as well as the policies enacted for the Middle East, and of course the pending GTO Expansion.

You've now been Secretary of External Affairs in two administrations. However, you've expressed recently your interest in running for Mideast Senate in October? Has a decision been reached?

Ben: No it has not.  I'm currently in the exploratory stage.  No decision will be reached for at least two more weeks, as I want to see who else declares, and also get a feel for my schoolwork to see if I have the time.

Is running for President again on your mind?

Ben: James Carville once said that running for President was like having sex: you don't do it once and forget about it.  It's on my mind, in the back.  I am not currently considering a run for President in the near future, and my hope is that Senator Duke will take the plunge and run for President.

You've been active in Senate debate, particularly those regarding foreign policy. How would you judge the Senate and the members within it?

Ben: That's an interesting question.  On the one hand, the Senate has recently been far more active than in the past, and I appreciate that.  Ideologically, I am very much at odds with the Senate, especially Senator Napoleon, who I wish were more like his Corsican namesake in terms of ideology.  I also feel as though the Senate has discounted me in terms of negotiations, focusing on simply attacking me, and that hurts both sides.  Overall, though, I do approve of the Senate, but I wish it would be quicker on debating my many recently introduced bills, and the FPR I released.

Are you pleased with the compromise to the "End to Imperialism Act", or would you have rather done Polnut's proposed plan?

Ben: I would have preferred the President's plan, which I helped work on, but the ultimate compromise was acceptable.  I do wish, though, that it had been renamed.  I bristle at the suggestion our foreign policy is based on "imperialism" which is in itself a ridiculous notion as far as I am concerned.

How has working with President Polnut worked out for you?

Ben: Surprisingly well.  Polnut has been extremely supportive of me, and has kept me involved in everything the Administration does.  He has also been very tolerant of my conservative ideology in foreign policy, and my often combative statements.  He has been an excellent President, and I will miss him.  I have worked for three Presidents, and have been blessed to always have a good relationship.

You say surprising. What were you expecting?

Ben: To be fired or sidelined.  To be honest, I did not have much experience with Polnut prior to his election, whereas I had worked closely for a long time with Purple State and with you, so I had known how I would be received previously.  With Polnut, all I knew was that, politically, he was a standard JCP liberal - I would agree domestically, but on foreign policy less so.  Shortly before his term began, he had sent me a PM explaining that he knew foreign policy well, and so I was concerned that conflict would ensue.  I was pleasantly surprised, then, when Polnut continually asked my advice, kept me involved, and had me remain one of the main spokesman for the Administration.  I do not want to give the impression that I distrusted Polnut, or had low or negative expectations; he simply surprised me by how much faith he had in me, and how tolerant he was of my differing viewpoint.  I never feared disagreeing with him, and I appreciate that.

You indicated earlier that you're saddened Polnut isn't running for reelection. Why do you think he chose not to run?

Ben: He mentioned a long vacation, and that was also the explanation given privately - he said that he would be away in the Winter, and didn't want to leave Atlasia with an absentee President.  Everything he said publicly he said privately, so I have no reason to doubt his statements.  I also hope he does not keep to his retirement announcement.

What are the biggest problems today in Atlasia, and how would you seek to fix them, regardless of what position you may hold?

Ben: I think the Senate election system is broken.  I think it is a problem when someone who is barely active, essentially a zombie, declares for the Senate after the deadline, and is then elected easily as a Write-In over a far more active candidate - although BRTD has been a good Senator so far.  I also think the discourse needs to calm down; things are getting too personal, and that is driving people away.  As to fixing them, I am less sure.  The latter problem cannot be legislated away; it can only be fixed through conscious decisions to change.  The former problem, too, is tough to fix.  More stringent activity requirements, but they can also hurt newbies and others who are trying to stay involved.  It's difficult, and it makes me glad that I am a FoPo wonk.

Any last words?

Ben: Hmm.  I want to thank the citizens who have continued to support me, especially you and Polnut for appointing me SoEA, and the members of the Senate who have kept foreign policy debate alive. Smiley
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #726 on: September 05, 2011, 06:47:22 PM »

Past elections for PPT have shown the position has become increasingly partisan. It's almost to the point that every PPT election is between someone from the JCP vs. everyone else. I'm going to assume, this is just a prediction, that Yankee won't run for PPT because he knows he won't win. It's fairly obvious the 5 JCP Senators will all vote for Bgwah.

The JCP exists solely to turn everything into a partisan funhouse. They stand for nothing but themselves.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #727 on: September 05, 2011, 07:03:11 PM »

Past elections for PPT have shown the position has become increasingly partisan. It's almost to the point that every PPT election is between someone from the JCP vs. everyone else. I'm going to assume, this is just a prediction, that Yankee won't run for PPT because he knows he won't win. It's fairly obvious the 5 JCP Senators will all vote for Bgwah.

The JCP exists solely to turn everything into a partisan funhouse. They stand for nothing but themselves.

Tell that to the region you left. Smiley
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #728 on: September 05, 2011, 07:06:30 PM »

Blah blah. Your controversies are about two months out of date. I intended to move for awhile now.

You all seem to enjoy being a left-wing version of the Populares anywho.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #729 on: September 05, 2011, 07:11:33 PM »

Blah blah. Your controversies are about two months out of date. I intended to move for awhile now.
You all seem to enjoy being a left-wing version of the Populares anywho.

I know you intended to move but that doesn't mean the JCP is super partisan. One look at the Northeast would tell you that both I and Governor Winfield, and the Assembly, have ignored partisanship in our reforms of the region. You don't have to give us credit but it would be nice not to insult us.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #730 on: February 21, 2013, 08:15:27 PM »

I took a nap earlier. While I was taking a nap, John Engle came to me in a dream and informed me that instead of becoming GM, I was to (once again) revive the Atlasian Sentinel, one of Atlasia's most successful papers.

I am looking for individuals to be contributors to the paper. I am looking for folks who could write on Senate/regional affairs, party politics, as well as give interviews. I will also be engaging in all of these activities.

Please PM me if interested.

Isaac Smiley
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #731 on: February 21, 2013, 08:25:19 PM »

How can I be of assistance? Cheesy
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #732 on: February 21, 2013, 08:29:46 PM »

Wolfentoad, Scott, and Napoleon will all be contributors to The Sentinel. More may come. Details will be released later on what roles each individual will have.

For now, we'll be taking requests for individuals who would like to be interviewed.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #733 on: February 21, 2013, 08:44:35 PM »
« Edited: February 21, 2013, 11:45:56 PM by Tmthforu94 »

The Atlasian Sentinel

Things Looking Up in the Midwest
By Tmthforu94

After years of struggling to stay alive, things appear to be finally looking up for the Midwest Region.

Despite large growth in Atlasia over the past year, the Midwest is the only region to have shrunk, has often lagged in open voting booths, and the Universal Alþing has barely stayed afloat. However, the current Midwestern regional election has drawn out fourteen voters, which equals to over 70% turnout! The region is also about ready to experiment with an elected legislature as well as elect Maxwell as Wisard Extraordinære. Maxwell is a new, excited member of the Midwest who seems to have a true interest in turning things around, much like Vepres did several years ago.

Better days appear to be ahead for the good people of the Midwest Region. The Atlasian Sentinel, originally based in the Midwest, wishes Maxwell and The People of the Midwest the best of luck as they attempt to bring activity once again to the region! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

We have opened a new thread. Please respond in that one if you have any comments or would like to be interviewed! Smiley
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=169775.0
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies