The Atlasian Sentinel
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:48:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Atlasian Sentinel
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30
Author Topic: The Atlasian Sentinel  (Read 64044 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #700 on: August 18, 2011, 04:44:42 PM »

I read that you wanted all comments on the debate in this thread.  I have to say, amazing debate.  The last round of questions were great and wide-ranging and the responses by all the candidates informed and thoughtful.  I actually have a problem.  The questions covered a wide range of topics.  During each candidates response I found myself saying "totally agree" and thought maybe I had my first preference.  Then later within those same answers found something that I disagreed with and decided that maybe someone else should be number 1.

I am left with a real issue.  I agree with each candidate on a issue very important to me and also disagree on an issue very important to me.  Great debate, great candidates.  Honestly, I kind of want to first preference everybody and also not first preference everybody.  This honest and thoughtful discussion really makes this game for me.

Great job everyone.

I've been pretty disappointed by it, but I guess I always am. I think nearly everyone in the debate opposed every specific proposal from the reform committee save one or two, which is what pretty much always happens the second you go from talking in game reform generalities to talking about specific changes. And thus, we'll end up with our current system for eternity.

That is one area where I don't agree.  But as far as discussion of the issues, and questions that are wide ranging and force disagreement, the dabte has been great.

By the way, I am little angry.   Just saw your proposal to eliminate the joint Pres/VP ticket.  It is something that occurred to me last night.  Was going to mention something about it, and saw your proposal for the first time.  I am just not  quick enough.  Great idea though.

Hah, sorry. Tongue I'm always at work to come up with new crackpot reform ideas. The whole wiki editing contest thing came to me only as I sat down to write my contribution to the interim report.

I can't really take all credit for that though, I've opposed and supported and opposed again the idea of breaking up the P/VP ticket throughout my time in Atlasia when it was brought up by others, though I think I've finally settled on supporting the separation. I just seem to have finally settled in my views on this issue at a time where no one else is talking about the issue.
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -4.35

« Reply #701 on: August 18, 2011, 04:48:03 PM »

Some I am years behind the curve on this one?  Well I guess I won't campaign as an original reform thinker. 
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #702 on: August 18, 2011, 04:55:59 PM »

Some I am years behind the curve on this one?  Well I guess I won't campaign as an original reform thinker. 

It was only supported by a handful of people as a random idea. I only had to think about it so many times because when I first joined Atlasia it was the official position of the party I was in, and then a couple people brought it up in the Senate during my time there. It's an idea that's been kicked around, but never really taken seriously by most people. Thankfully I think momentum is building to do something with the Vice Presidency.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #703 on: August 18, 2011, 07:37:11 PM »

The Atlasian Sentinel
A Need for Compromise
By Tmthforu94

Sources close to the administration are telling the Atlasian Sentinel that talks between several Atlasian Senators and President Polnut have fallen flat. The President reportedly made several attempts to compromise by making concessions over Iraq and Afghanistan. However, the Senators could not find an agreement amongst themselves on a way to move forward.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #704 on: August 18, 2011, 07:55:42 PM »

The Atlasian Sentinel
Senate Field Set
By Tmthforu94

Up until the last minute, the Senate Race looked pretty predictable with only 5 candidates running. However, late announcements have shaken up the race. Here is a short background and a bit of an analysis of each candidate:

Snowguy716: Snowguy, though a longtime resident of the Atlas forum, only started getting active in Atlasia recently. Snowguy first served as the appointed Midwest Senator, starting in November 2010, and then later became an at-large Senator. Senator Snowguy has a center-left voting record and has had strong activity as of late, though has been criticized in the past for missing votes. Snowguy is a member of the JCP.

ahduke99: Duke has been in the Senate for ages, and has had a strong record of activity in the Senate during his time there. Duke has a center-right voting record, being more conservative on economic issues. Duke is a member of the RPP.

Shua: Shua has served in the Senate for several terms as the at-large representative for the Populares. Shua has had a libertarian streak in the Senate, and like Duke, has a consistent record of activity.

JBrase: JBrase was just elected in a surprise upset in the July 2011 Special Election where he defeated TexasGurl and Meeker, many dubbing him as the "Scott Brown of Atlasia". While it's a bit early to accurately describe JBrase's voting record, he has been a very active Senator in his short time. JBrase is a member of the CID.

HomelyCooking: Homelycooking has played a big role in turning the Northeast around in the past few months, and also founded the surging Coalition of Independent Democrats Party.

Benconstine: Benconstine is one of the oldest Atlasian's of this bunch, and has served in many prominent positions, but never Senator. Ben describes himself as a foreign policy hawk, and is also pretty liberal on economic issues. Ben is a member of the CID.

BRTD: BRTD is running a last-minute write-in campaign. BRTD hasn't really been involved in Atlasia for a long time, and really hasn't established much of a platform or described his position on key issues in Atlasia. However, as the second JCP candidate in this race, The Atlasian Sentinel expects BRTD to have a pretty good chance at claiming an at-large seat. Though he may be the most active of any of these candidates on the forum at-large, he ranks last on activity in Atlasia.

The Atlasian Sentinel won't be making any endorsements in this Senate race. I think there are 5-6 very qualified candidates who will make great Senators. This will be a tough vote Tongue
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #705 on: August 23, 2011, 09:48:39 PM »

The Atlasian Sentinel
I'm quoting this post by President Polnut in this thread because I think it's important and people should read it. Smiley

TRANSCRIPT

The President's remarks to airport press-conference, Cleveland Hopkins International Airport

Reporter: Mr President, is this visit the unofficial start of your re-election campaign?

President: *laughs* No, not at all. I have to decide whether I'm running again before conversations start about campaigns, official or unofficial.

Reporter: What are main issues you think the Mideast region is dealing with, that you could have an influence on?

President: Look, the entire nation is very slowly recovering from the fundamental economic shock from nearly 3 years ago. Considering how severe and deep those problems were and are, we are getting there. But unemployment is still far too high, too many people without jobs and too few businesses with the confidence to hire.

Reporter: Back in Nyman you are dealing with a sometimes hostile Senate, which is largely made of people from your own party, how does that make you feel?

President: What I feel is immaterial, I think both myself and all Senators know that what we do in our capacities, we do in those roles. The issues being debated are very important to people all over the country, so passion is expected and to be fair, a bit of a necessity. I don't think the Senate is actual hostile, no more than I am to them. It's a robust exchange of views and ideas and we need that in a democracy. But sometimes words are said that shouldn't be and passion overwhelms reason, but that's very human.

Reporter: Given what's going on in Libya right now, what are your hopes for your Troop Withdrawal plan being implemented over the more dare I say ambitious plan supported by Senators Napoleon and Snowguy?

President: I think what's going on in Libya is positive, but it's too early to claim any sort of victory, the rebel forces still need to do a lot of work before any sort of practical end game comes about.

In relation to the competing withdrawal plans, I think we do need to tone down the rhetoric and the temperature. I've said from the outset that our plans have the same end goal. We both want our troops extricated from the theatres. I do understand the position of those who want a more rapid withdrawal, but I want to know that they also understand where I'm coming from. The position my administration has come to, has been developed with the involvement of the highest levels of our military and diplomatic services. We can move out of Libya and Iraq the fastest, because our involvement is smaller and less crucial, but we need to realise that the Afghanistan theatre is the one that cannot be exited rapidly from without consequences. The situation on the ground is not stable enough. I truly hope some kind of compromise can be reached.

Reporter: If the current Bill passes the Senate, will you veto it?

President: I really hope I don't have to. I think some clear thinking and better understanding of each other's positions would cure a lot of the ills we're dealing with. But I've said that if I'm presented with a Bill that is militarily irresponsible or endangers the situation that so many have fought and died to achieve, then I will veto it. But, there are other options before a blanket veto. But in the end, I do respect the constitutional role for the Senate to declare war and reverse that declaration and to withdraw funding. I will not go beyond what are my constitutional powers but I will argue until I'm blue in the face for what is the better approach to our joint goal.

I think the first step is to calm down and work through our differences.

Guys, I've got to go, thanks.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #706 on: August 24, 2011, 09:32:09 AM »

The Atlasian Sentinel
"It's believed the President may have struck a deal over troop deployments. Details are sketchy however, it is believed that while combat troops may be coming home sooner from some hotspots, greater flexibility will be given to localised stability and training forces"
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #707 on: September 01, 2011, 07:01:59 PM »

The Atlasian Sentinel
Interview with Reagafan
By Tmthforu94

Today, The Atlasian Sentinel will be interviewing one of the older members in Atlasia, Reaganfan.

First off, Reaganfan, I’d like for you to have the chance to give a brief introduction on who you are/what you have done in Atlasia, since many of our new members may not be familiar with you exactly you are.

Well thank you for having me today. I began public service in Atlasia...geez...seven years ago. The game was new and the rules were much more loose so I found that getting involved was rather easy, but no doubt serving in public office was a challenge especially when trying to confront the difficult issues that face the people of the nation. I served as Senator from District 3 about six years ago after I defeated Senator and former President Nym, and that began a downward trend in my approval ratings and a witch-hunt began against me. As you know I was narrowly elected, I mean, that election was as close as close could get, and our get-out-the-vote efforts were far and away the most superior GOTV efforts ever to have been implemented in Atlasia at that time. This was within the rules of our laws and was justly used to increase awareness and participation, but of course when one side does it and wins the election, another side clearly was upset due to the defeat and that began the witch-hunt against me throughout my brief Senate career, leading to my decision that the best thing I could do for the people of my district was to step aside. I was elected Lieutenant Governor of the Southeast region, and later ascended to the Governorship to which I was elected to my own term unopposed. Again the partisanship atmosphere did me in and I decided that my best bet would be to retire from public life.

What has been your proudest accomplishment in Atlasia?

Helping elect President PBrunsel. I don't think Atlasia has had such a distinguished politician that was as impeccable and articulate and had such a tremendous love for this nation as did PBrunsel. I mean from his whistle-stop tours to his amazing speeches and addresses to the nation, deciding not to seek re-election as President which was for all intents and purposes in the bag, it was just an amazing administration and I think that whatever I did to help contribute to that would be my most proud accomplishment.

When you look at how Atlasia was years ago and how it is today, what are some ways you think Atlasia has improved throughout the years? What are some ways you think Atlasia has declined?

I think the improvement is the positive fact that the game has continued. We wondered how long Atlasia would last...maybe a year or so...here we are almost a decade later and we're all still so deeply involved, some more than others, and the participation continues, so that is an improvement. As far as the decline, I do believe there are far too many rules and too little individual decision making on the part of Atlasians. Whether this can be contributed to the game moderators or our elected leaders or the legislation, I can't quite say, but for sure that decline over the past couple of years is due to their inability to lessen the amount of rules and Government, I guess you could say, and allow more individuality among Atlasia as a hole. I do feel though that there may be a leader in the coming months who can return Atlasia maybe back more to the days of President PBrunsel when participation was growing and people had fun, it wasn't just a game of continuity.

Have you given any thought to possibly getting involved in Atlasia again? We all know now that you’ve been an active, conservative leader in the past. Any chance we could see that side of you again?

I'd like to someday, perhaps when the time is right. I ran for office and lost so many times I think there had to be a period of several years out of public life to regain some sense of legitimacy. I did come in third for President in February 2007, which, all things considered, wasn't half as bad as people had anticipated, and despite the shakiness and the controversy surrounding it, I was a Senator and a Governor so I hope that someday I can get involved again.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #708 on: September 02, 2011, 03:55:07 AM »

An interesting read, thanks! Wink
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #709 on: September 03, 2011, 11:17:06 AM »

The Atlasian Sentinel
A Decision Soon?
By Tmthforu94

Recently, it was revealed that President Polnut would be making his decision regarding reelection in the coming days. Our sources close to the administration tell us a decision could come as soon as tonight. The President is grateful of his strong approval ratings, but hasn't quite made up his mind. Our sources also tell us that the President is concerned over how effective he has been as a President and whether some of his opponents might do a better job.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #710 on: September 03, 2011, 11:43:54 AM »

He better not run again. Otherwise, I'll crush him like an ant...

Oh, I thought you're talking about Purple State. Sorry
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #711 on: September 03, 2011, 12:00:10 PM »

It might catch the left off guard IF Polnut doesn't run, in a way that is similar to when Tmth announced that he would not seek a second term. And then the right will seize the opportunity and triumph in the election. Tongue
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #712 on: September 03, 2011, 12:10:07 PM »

It might catch the left off guard IF Polnut doesn't run, in a way that is similar to when Tmth announced that he would not seek a second term. And then the right will seize the opportunity and triumph in the election. Tongue

I'm here Tongue
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #713 on: September 03, 2011, 12:13:31 PM »

I'm here Tongue

Yes, but maybe in the wrong "party" (=independent)? Wink
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #714 on: September 03, 2011, 12:20:26 PM »

I'm actually getting responses to a story?!?! Cheesy

*Does happy dance*

The JCP has much better organization skills than the right does - there's almost never an election where the JCP doesn't put up a strong fight. It takes a very special environment/ticket for the right to be successful.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #715 on: September 03, 2011, 12:24:14 PM »

I'm actually getting responses to a story?!?! Cheesy

*Does happy dance*

The JCP has much better organization skills than the right does - there's almost never an election where the JCP doesn't put up a strong fight. It takes a very special environment/ticket for the right to be successful.

I'm sure - and the previous pages show it - there are many readers of the Atlasian Sentinel. People simply don't always respond, but the stuff you post here is usually very worthwile to read. Wink
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #716 on: September 03, 2011, 12:47:29 PM »

I'm here Tongue

Yes, but maybe in the wrong "party" (=independent)? Wink

Shhh... it's just a cover.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #717 on: September 03, 2011, 09:07:00 PM »

The Atlasian Sentinel is currently in the process of interviewing our President, who has just announced he will NOT be seeking reelection. We'll post it as soon as it's done. Smiley
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #718 on: September 03, 2011, 09:29:12 PM »

The Atlasian Sentinel
Interview With Polnut
By Tmthforu94

Once again, I got the pleasure of interviewing Herr Polnut....

First, let it be known, I saw this coming. I think I predicted this happening somewhere recently.

Polnut: Did you? What made you think that?

I'm a palm reader. I snuck into your house a couple weeks ago and felt your palms. I go to great lengths to get the stories.  

Polnut: ...I thought that was dream....

The questions was asked multiple times to me when I decided not to run..."Why?" since I had rather high approval ratings. Yours are even higher - you have solid ratings across the board, and would have coasted to reelection. What made you pass that up?

Polnut: Toward mid-August I was thinking about my goals versus my performance. I thought about what I could achieve and why I hadn't been able to do as much this term... and I didn't see a clear way through

What was your biggest pain as President?

Polnut: Pain? I think I had many frustrations ... but I suppose my biggest was my inability to engage with the Senate sometimes, in the constructive manner I would have preferred.

Anyone who follows the Senate closely knows there were some heated negotiations going around the "End to Imperialism Act". What made reaching compromise so difficult for those involved?

Polnut: I think that particular negotiation was especially trying... I admit getting my back up at the premise of the original Bill for a 30 day withdrawal, I thought it was based on an ideological view, and not in reality. I had already outlined a policy for withdrawal long-before this Bill emerged. However, I went into negotiations with the Sponsor and others in good faith to get a workable compromise. I made massive concessions, knowing that Senate would have the ultimate say. I know concessions were made on the other side, but I think the current Bill reflects my willingness to work with others

You mentioned in your statement that some external pressures kept you from running. Care to elaborate?

Polnut: Well I do have a long-planned holiday coming up and it would have meant I would have had varied and unreliable contact for several weeks, which is why I stressed the need for the Atlasian people to have an active president.

Were there any forces within the game you felt were pushing you from running?

Polnut: Well, certainly no one trying to get me not to run, but there were some elements that certainly made me less interested in running, let's say that

Care to elaborate?

Polnut: Not really, lol but I think it doesn't take too much to figure it out

You seem to have had a pretty bumpy relationship within your party recently. You hinted at dissatisfaction with some in the left in your speech and how you may not have lived up to what they hoped for. You've also been nearly mocked in the Senate debate over the "Student Loan Protection Act". Did this play a pretty big role in your decision?

Polnut: I think the relationship has been too antagonistic at times, it doesn't help our democracy. I'll admit not appreciating the tone of the Senate to my questions, the Bill is incredibly vague and needs tightening up... simple as that. I think the President and the Senate need to have a constructive relationship, I hope my successor will have more luck.

How do you feel about the current party system in Atlasia, particularly your party, the JCP?

Polnut: Parties are a natural consequence, and given the background of many Atlasians, it makes sense that there are two dominant parties. The JCP is a dominant and well-organized party, but it exists only as long as people are prepared to support it...

If there's one thing you could do right now that would massively shake up the game for the good, what would it be, if anything?

Polnut: There's still a long time left in my term, I do have some ideas... but they're about positive change and I will make details public soon

Let me just say, I think you've been an excellent President, and you would have had my support if you had ran for reelection. Best of luck to you in future endeavors. Thank you for doing this interview.

Thank you very much. Smiley

(I think it'll be better in the future to italicize my questions, but I don't feel like changing it now)
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #719 on: September 04, 2011, 07:23:00 AM »

A truly revealing interview. When can we expect the President to publish his memoirs which contain a reckoning with his political opponents? Tongue
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #720 on: September 05, 2011, 09:55:27 AM »

The Atlasian Sentinel
Senate Could Be Losing Icon
By Tmthforu94

The Senate has already taken a small hit by Shua (someone who actually was an active part in debate) now gone, but The Atlasian Sentinel suspects that North Carolina Yankee's days as PPT are also numbered. Despite arguably being the best PPT Atlasia has ever had, we believe Bgwah will finally have the votes to overtake Yankee in the position, with 5 JCP Senators and a JCP Vice President. Bgwah almost had the votes in July, but due to a Senate vacancy and Antonio V voting for Yankee.

While I have no doubt Bgwah will do a fine job as PPT, I also believe this is telling of how partisan the Senate has become, particularly the PPT, which should be a non-partisan position.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #721 on: September 05, 2011, 12:13:19 PM »

An election for PPT that hasn't even take place is evidence of the Senate's partisanship? Are you serious?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #722 on: September 05, 2011, 01:12:11 PM »

Past elections for PPT have shown the position has become increasingly partisan. It's almost to the point that every PPT election is between someone from the JCP vs. everyone else. I'm going to assume, this is just a prediction, that Yankee won't run for PPT because he knows he won't win. It's fairly obvious the 5 JCP Senators will all vote for Bgwah.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #723 on: September 05, 2011, 02:29:43 PM »

The Atlasian Sentinel
IDS Fights STD's
By Tmthforu94

Back in July, the Imperial Dominion of the South took steps to fight STD by passing a bill which puts male condom dispensers in all male restrooms in public universities. This was paid for by a $5 dollar tuition increase.

The bill also introduces the Dibble as a bartering tool in the IDS, allowing citizens to use the Dibble (very similar to Atlasian coins). Dibbles can be exchanged for dollars at any state capitals.

The Atlasian Sentinel commends the IDS for taking steps to fight STD's while also bringing some fun and humour into the game. Tongue You can see the full text of the bill here.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #724 on: September 05, 2011, 02:32:35 PM »
« Edited: September 05, 2011, 02:41:08 PM by Tmthforu94 »

The Atlasian Sentinel will be giving out two more interviews within this week. Please contact me ASAP if you are interested.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies