The Atlasian Sentinel
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:31:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Atlasian Sentinel
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 30
Author Topic: The Atlasian Sentinel  (Read 63329 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2009, 11:59:55 PM »

I could give a good humorous interview if people are up for a good laugh.

How to Get A Girl In 10 Days
By Governor Duke

10 days? I once proposed to a girl in 10 minutes.

Please don't hack other people's accounts, BushOklahoma.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2009, 12:02:09 AM »

By Governor Duke

Now that explains his last minute disorganized Write-in campaign against me. Cheesy After all I did for him in the Special Election Wink
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2009, 12:03:14 AM »

By Governor Duke

LOL! You hit that one out of the park.

By Governor Duke

Now that explains his last minute disorganized Write-in campaign against me. Cheesy After all I did for him in the Special Election Wink

It's politics. If I lose, I'll simply switch parties and run again like my hero Arlen Specter! Cheesy unless the Lord comes for his church before then.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2009, 12:12:58 AM »

By Governor Duke

LOL! You hit that one out of the park.

By Governor Duke

It's politics. If I lose, I'll simply switch parties and run again like my hero Arlen Specter! Cheesy unless the Lord comes for his church before then.

Then I will be Pat Toomey. Cheesy
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2009, 03:31:53 PM »

The Atlasian Sentinel

Editorial: Do We Really Need a New Constitution?
By Vepres

Around the time of his reelection, President Bgwah called for a new constitution and constitutional convention. He said, "I hope we can come up with something that will breathe new life into Atlasia." Fast forward to today, and the situation is far different. We have many active newbies, a competitive presidential election as well as three competitive senatorial elections. Our senate has been very active as well, passing over twenty bills in its time. There has been daily activity throughout Atlasia in recent times.

The one place where you don't see much activity, however, is the constitutional convention. I have been following the constitutional convention for some time now, and it occurred to me that they weren't getting much done, particularly in the past few weeks. They appeared to be mostly having theoretical discussions about this and that and the other thing. None of it seemed to really have the potential to take shape into anything concrete. Sure, they were drafting constitutions, but the convention itself seemed to be an after thought for most of the delegates. And even if they could finally draft something, I highly doubt it would survive through the public referendum process. Indeed, the two most prominent proposals mirrored European style democracy as opposed to American style democracy. I highly doubt that either of these proposals would be popular among the mostly American participants in Atlasia.

With this in mind, one has to ask himself: Is the convention really necessary? When asked if we needed a complete overhaul of the system, President Bgwah simply said, "No." When asked just today by the Atlasian Sentinel if he believes the constitutional convention is necessary, he, again, simply answered, "No."

What stimulates activity is the willingness of our elected officials and candidates to campaign, debate and pass laws, and encourage others to be active. If a region's governor is active, the region will be as well. e.g. Mideast Governor Inks.LWC. We should stop focusing on how to change the system and instead focus on getting active office holders and active campaigners.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2009, 04:10:14 PM »

I've been thinking about this a lot recently, actually, and that's partly my reason for my serious drop in activity in the convention. I've been thinking that we should simply take the constitution we have now, make simple edits, compile all passed amendments into the Constitution, expand the Senate by perhaps 5 seats, shrink the regions to perhaps three, and just go from there, as opposed to an entirely new government.

I'm thinking more along the lines of the status-quo crowd in terms of retaining the government we have now, but changes are needed and our current system just isn't going to cut it. We need a lot of serious alterations and there have been so many changes over the years that it makes our current constitution clumsy and disorganized. I think the best way to do that is a constitutional convention, but perhaps myself and the delegates should re-think our approach.
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2009, 04:12:14 PM »

I've been thinking about this a lot recently, actually, and that's partly my reason for my serious drop in activity in the convention. I've been thinking that we should simply take the constitution we have now, make simple edits, compile all passed amendments into the Constitution, expand the Senate by perhaps 5 seats, shrink the regions to perhaps three, and just go from there, as opposed to an entirely new government.

I'm thinking more along the lines of the status-quo crowd in terms of retaining the government we have now, but changes are needed and our current system just isn't going to cut it. We need a lot of serious alterations and there have been so many changes over the years that it makes our current constitution clumsy and disorganized. I think the best way to do that is a constitutional convention, but perhaps myself and the delegates should re-think our approach.

Thats funny, I have been thinking the same thing.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2009, 04:21:03 PM »

Hate to admit it....but I've also had similar thoughts.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2009, 04:22:20 PM »

I'm inclined to agree with Marokai.  We really don't need a new Government; just some adjustments here and there.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2009, 04:34:04 PM »

This proposal has been dead for about a month and a half basically, and I've been doing something thinking.

Activity in Atlasia has taken a jump, even though of course some of the activity is from The 25's, I think that an entirely new government has lost considerable support amongst the people and this convention's activity, including mine here, has dropped to a record low. As such, I think we need to re-think our approach. We still have considerable problems in Atlasia and the best way to fix them IS through this convention, but let's take our current system as our model and make some improvements here and there.

• Take our current Constitution and combine it with all the passed Amendments so it's alot cleaner and more organized, and make some changes where necessary to deal with Regional Powers and other small areas, etc.
  • Reduce the number of regions to three, the simplest way could be to divide the Midwest and the Mideast between the Pacific, Southeast, and Northeast regions. This still keeps the mode of some of the current regions but improves the system a bit.
  • Expand the size of the Senate to 15, perhaps having two elected by each of the three new expanded (and consequently more active) regions, and the remaining six elected at-large.
  • Deal with issues revolving around the GM, such as putting the position in the Constitution or putting it's responsibilities into a new job reminiscent of my "Department of Economic Affairs" or something.
  • Fix other misc. problems such as Absentee voting, Presidential powers, or anything else we need to deal with.

We can do all of this within the framework of our current constitution without the need to build and entirely new government. So, if Lief is willing to hear me out, and PS is willing to possibly scrap and rebuild this proposal like we did with Presidential Universalism, I think we can fix Atlasia without building an entirely new house and get something we can all agree with.

Something I was thinking about and posted in the convention.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2009, 04:38:48 PM »

This proposal has been dead for about a month and a half basically, and I've been doing something thinking.

Activity in Atlasia has taken a jump, even though of course some of the activity is from The 25's, I think that an entirely new government has lost considerable support amongst the people and this convention's activity, including mine here, has dropped to a record low. As such, I think we need to re-think our approach. We still have considerable problems in Atlasia and the best way to fix them IS through this convention, but let's take our current system as our model and make some improvements here and there.

• Take our current Constitution and combine it with all the passed Amendments so it's alot cleaner and more organized, and make some changes where necessary to deal with Regional Powers and other small areas, etc.
  • Reduce the number of regions to three, the simplest way could be to divide the Midwest and the Mideast between the Pacific, Southeast, and Northeast regions. This still keeps the mode of some of the current regions but improves the system a bit.
  • Expand the size of the Senate to 15, perhaps having two elected by each of the three new expanded (and consequently more active) regions, and the remaining six elected at-large.
  • Deal with issues revolving around the GM, such as putting the position in the Constitution or putting it's responsibilities into a new job reminiscent of my "Department of Economic Affairs" or something.
  • Fix other misc. problems such as Absentee voting, Presidential powers, or anything else we need to deal with.

We can do all of this within the framework of our current constitution without the need to build and entirely new government. So, if Lief is willing to hear me out, and PS is willing to possibly scrap and rebuild this proposal like we did with Presidential Universalism, I think we can fix Atlasia without building an entirely new house and get something we can all agree with.

Something I was thinking about and posted in the convention.

That's actually a pretty good idea.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2009, 04:40:47 PM »

I made a bit of a typo with how to elect Senators. It could be two from each region and 9 at-large. Or three from each region and 6 at-large. Sorry.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2009, 04:44:09 PM »

I made a bit of a typo with how to elect Senators. It could be two from each region and 9 at-large. Or three from each region and 6 at-large. Sorry.

9 at-large seems a little excessive to me for some reason. Never mind the inherent difficulty of passing a plan to reduce the number of regions.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2009, 04:46:07 PM »

9 at-large seems a little excessive to me for some reason. Never mind the inherent difficulty of passing a plan to reduce the number of regions.

I think there are enough of us who support shrinking the regions in combination with those who support eliminating them. If we can join forces through some compromise I'm sure we could overcome those who support five regions, which has been pretty much, a failure.

I support regional governments, but even I can see five regions have led to a couple good regions, and a couple HORRIBLE regions.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2009, 04:46:08 PM »

I will oppose any attempts to reduce the number of regions in Atlasia. I will compromise to 4 but 3 or less is impossible.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2009, 04:48:56 PM »

If we did four, we could have two Senators by each region, along with seven at-large. That would roughly approximate the current balance of regional vs. at-large in the Senate.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2009, 04:52:51 PM »

I have also been thinking bout this, less because I don't believe massive reforms are needed and more because activity in the Convention has all but disappeared.

However, what I have come to realize is that, while national reform may not be necessary on a large scale, the regions are in dire need of reform. Can this be done by the regions? Should the federal government step in and push these reforms? The questions are complicated and likely elicit strong feeling by most people one way or the other.

The truth is, a movement of citizens dedicated to regional reform is necessary to enact the reforms necessary, including elected regional legislatures and clear constitutions. There is no need to reduce the number of regions so long as there remains sufficient and sustained activity by members. I am willing to help any region that wishes to revamp its constitution.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: June 19, 2009, 04:56:19 PM »

I have also been thinking bout this, less because I don't believe massive reforms are needed and more because activity in the Convention has all but disappeared.

However, what I have come to realize is that, while national reform may not be necessary on a large scale, the regions are in dire need of reform. Can this be done by the regions? Should the federal government step in and push these reforms? The questions are complicated and likely elicit strong feeling by most people one way or the other.

The truth is, a movement of citizens dedicated to regional reform is necessary to enact the reforms necessary, including elected regional legislatures and clear constitutions. There is no need to reduce the number of regions so long as there remains sufficient and sustained activity by members. I am willing to help any region that wishes to revamp its constitution.

That's a big leap though. It takes a lot to get & keep a region active. Five regions is too large a number and does ultimately been a failure in the grand scheme of things. A smaller number of regions would increase activity and competition.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #68 on: June 19, 2009, 04:58:37 PM »

If we did four, we could have two Senators by each region, along with seven at-large. That would roughly approximate the current balance of regional vs. at-large in the Senate.

The issue doesn't seem to be national seats. There is barely competition for 10 Senators. Will there be any for 15?

How about we remove governors and lieutenant governors, create three person regional legislatures in every region that together form a House of Representatives and reduce the Senate to five.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: June 19, 2009, 04:59:50 PM »
« Edited: June 19, 2009, 05:02:50 PM by Senator Marokai Blue »

The issue doesn't seem to be national seats. There is barely competition for 10 Senators. Will there be any for 15?

How about we remove governors and lieutenant governors, create three person regional legislatures in every region that together form a House of Representatives and reduce the Senate to five.

The idea of creating two houses in a new bicameral system seems unnecessary. If we allowed people to hold two offices (regional and federal) then that would solve the problem, since regional offices largely don't hold the same importance.

EDIT: Also, keep in mind the whole idea here is to try and work within the system we have now.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #70 on: June 19, 2009, 05:13:13 PM »

I agree with Purple State, 15 is too big for legislature. I would like to return to the district system without ditching the at-large races. What if each region had a senator, the country was, every x months, divided into districts as close in population as possible, and the other four would be at-large. Senators could have a 6 month terms, but we would have senatorial elections every two months.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: June 19, 2009, 05:21:32 PM »

Didn't we try districts before? We don't need to be too complicated here folks.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #72 on: June 19, 2009, 05:24:21 PM »

Didn't we try districts before? We don't need to be too complicated here folks.

I wasn't around then, so I don't know how it turned out.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #73 on: June 19, 2009, 05:24:53 PM »

Guys, regional Senate elections, as evidence by the ones currently happening, are boring and awful. Why do we want more of them again?
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #74 on: June 19, 2009, 05:29:27 PM »

Guys, regional Senate elections, as evidence by the ones currently happening, are boring and awful. Why do we want more of them again?

If we had three regions, and then two per region, they will be far more competitive. If you had three regions, you would be far less likely to have ideological bastions like the Pacific and Southeast, thus resulting in more competitive elections.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 30  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies