The Atlasian Sentinel
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:01:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Atlasian Sentinel
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 30
Author Topic: The Atlasian Sentinel  (Read 64132 times)
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: July 03, 2009, 06:41:58 PM »

Someone should change the first page of the Wiki to say "President: Vacant and Vice President: Vacant".  And make a page called "The Atlasian 2009 Constitutional Crisis"!
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #226 on: July 03, 2009, 09:54:50 PM »

The Atlasian Sentinel
Lief is now President
by Vepres

Today, the supreme court ruled in favor of the SoFA in the case challenging the validity of Marokai's vote. The court stated that PiT failed to provide enough evidence that Marokai's first vote existed, and further more that the law was intended to prevent manipulation of the system, not to disenfranchise voters who suffer from a forum glitch.

The court upheld the SoFA's results, and stated that the President and Vice President should swear into their offices.

Therefore, Lief is now President and Bacon King is now Vice President (once they are sworn in).
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #227 on: July 03, 2009, 10:05:41 PM »

I would urge all Atlasians to accept this rulling for the good of the country and to not hold any bitterness, anger, or resentement over this rulling.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #228 on: July 03, 2009, 10:10:34 PM »

I would urge all Atlasians to accept this rulling for the good of the country and to not hold any bitterness, anger, or resentement over this rulling.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #229 on: July 04, 2009, 03:43:24 AM »

Time's up for peace...
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #230 on: July 05, 2009, 01:54:14 AM »

Accepted. Was there a fear that we wouldn't? Wink

I totally missed all the excitement today. Too bad. Well, I congratulate Lief and BK on a well run, clean campaign and I look forward to working with them in the next term.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #231 on: July 05, 2009, 02:17:35 PM »

Accepted. Was there a fear that we wouldn't? Wink

I totally missed all the excitement today. Too bad. Well, I congratulate Lief and BK on a well run, clean campaign and I look forward to working with them in the next term.

No but there were protests in the streets of Nyman according to the GM. Also there were some threats from "certain" people.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #232 on: July 07, 2009, 11:53:12 PM »

The Atlasian Sentinel
Lack of Consensus in the ConCon, CoG Debate is the Focus
by Vepres

As we reported earlier, Senator Purple State, the presiding officer of the constitutional convention, attempted to steer the convention in a new direction. Now the ConCon is attempting to simply reform the current system, instead of building a new system from scratch. Many ideas have been thrown around, yet there is a lack of consensus among the delegates. Purple State seems to be most interested in encouraging regional reform with the new system, as well as reducing the number of elected positions to increase the competitiveness of elections.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

He repeatedly emphasized that the reforms must encourage the Governors to be active. The only idea that has seen the much support is creating a council of governors (CoG). They would, in addition to their other gubernatorial activities, approve of legislation passed in the Senate before it would be presented to the President. Supporters of this argue that it would not only reduce the number of offices, as it removes five Senate seats, which would in theory increase the competitiveness of Atlasia's elections, but also ensure that the governors were active citizens of Atlasia.

It is not without it's opponents however.

However, the main debate now seems to be focused around Senator North Carolina Yankee's firm support of regional senate seats, regardless if there is a CoG or not. Many want to eliminate the regional seats and make a CoG in their place. NCYankee doesn't support that however.

A compromise has yet to be reached, and it's unclear when a draft of the amendments will begin to be written.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #233 on: July 08, 2009, 12:40:57 AM »

I called it...
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #234 on: July 09, 2009, 05:53:19 PM »

The Atlasian Sentinel
Interview With Fritz
by Vepres

I interviewed Fritz, a candidate in the special Senate election.

Vepres: First, I would like to thank you for allowing us to interview you.

Fritz: Thank you for having me.

So, why have you suddenly become interested in seeking elected office?

This country needs strong leaders who will be able to understand and analyse the arguments being presented in the Senate from both opposing points of view, and come to the most rational conclusion.  I believe that is the type of Senator I will be.  While I am a member of the JCP, I do not intend to vote strictly along party lines.   My brief tenure with the DA testifies to my centrist qualities.

What is your primary goal, legislation wise, in the senate?

My first priority is universal health care, this is so important.  I intend to begin drafting this legislation as soon as I am elected.

How would you ensure universal coverage in your plan? What ideas do you have at this point?

I support a single payer health plan, such as is found in Canada and Australia.  These plans are not government run health care systems, but they do guarantee coverage for all.  I am open to debate on the best ways to implement this, the most important thing is that we guarantee coverage for all Atlasians.

What are your thoughts on the "Federal Government Accountability and Oversight Reform" bill?

It appears to be a sensible piece of legislation.  I will vote in favor of it, if it is still on the floor when I am sworn in.

How do you feel about the general direction being taken in the Constitutional Convention? What ideas stand out to you?

I am very pleased that the Convention has changed directions from attempting to write an entirely new Constitution, that was unnecessary.  The changes that are made to the Constitution should enhance the game in some fashion.  I am personally in favor of the proposal to replace regional Senators with the Council of Governors.  This would eliminate the uncompetitive regional Senate elections, as well as make the position of Governor much more interesting.  I realize there is a lot of opposition to this idea, however, and I am willing to listen to opposing points of view.

How do feel about your chances of winning? After all, you are running against a very established and well known RPP candidate and former Senator Downwithdaleft.

I think we have just recently seen how close elections in Atlasia can be.  Honestly, I feel my chances are fifty-fifty.  This could go either way.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #235 on: July 09, 2009, 06:55:52 PM »

Shocked
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #236 on: July 09, 2009, 07:02:46 PM »

it is better than nothing.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #237 on: July 09, 2009, 07:08:24 PM »

As long as people are lazy and refuse to take responsibililty for the own well being, no reform will be affordable. A better term for this is third party Health care. People currently view health insurance the same way. Instead of comparison shopping, asking about prices and generics, they just hand over the card be done with it. Prices can very be as much as 19% among hospitals. 
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #238 on: July 09, 2009, 07:20:09 PM »

As long as people are lazy and refuse to take responsibililty for the own well being, no reform will be affordable. A better term for this is third party Health care. People currently view health insurance the same way. Instead of comparison shopping, asking about prices and generics, they just hand over the card be done with it. Prices can very be as much as 19% among hospitals. 
also it seems to disappear when someone is ill and needs it.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #239 on: July 09, 2009, 07:23:33 PM »

also it seems to disappear when someone is ill and needs it.

lol
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #240 on: July 09, 2009, 07:24:36 PM »

True, but not better than a French or (fingers crossed) new American system.
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #241 on: July 09, 2009, 07:32:02 PM »

well we have to start somewhere.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #242 on: July 09, 2009, 07:36:40 PM »

So start with one of the more overarching, restrictive systems?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #243 on: July 09, 2009, 07:45:03 PM »

There are a lot of things wrong with what you just said. First of all, unlike with a consumer good or something, health insurance doesn't follow a lot of the normal rules of supply and demand. You can "shop around" for a new TV because if you don't find one that you like or one that is cheap enough, you can just not buy one or buy a used one or buy a smaller one. With health insurance when you're sick, on the other hand, you either buy it or you die; the supplier has all the power and the consumer has very little. Secondly, in many areas, there's no such thing as choice between insurance options, as there are only one or two insurance providers in the area. This is especially problematic in rural areas. Finally, depending on your insurance plan, you might not be able to "shop around" when it comes to hospitals or treatments either, as often times your insurance company tells you where you should go or will only pay for treatment at certain hospitals.
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #244 on: July 09, 2009, 07:51:40 PM »

well i don't see someone else having a better idea. Plus there is always be some who dislikes an idea.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #245 on: July 09, 2009, 07:56:35 PM »

It will be amended and worked on in the Senate. Look what we did to DWTL's Free Palestine Bill a few Senates ago.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #246 on: July 09, 2009, 07:58:03 PM »

well i don't see someone else having a better idea. Plus there is always be some who dislikes an idea.

Fair enough, then. I guess it depends on where your priorities lie.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #247 on: July 09, 2009, 08:15:35 PM »

There are a lot of things wrong with what you just said. First of all, unlike with a consumer good or something, health insurance doesn't follow a lot of the normal rules of supply and demand. You can "shop around" for a new TV because if you don't find one that you like or one that is cheap enough, you can just not buy one or buy a used one or buy a smaller one. With health insurance when you're sick, on the other hand, you either buy it or you die; the supplier has all the power and the consumer has very little. Secondly, in many areas, there's no such thing as choice between insurance options, as there are only one or two insurance providers in the area. This is especially problematic in rural areas. Finally, depending on your insurance plan, you might not be able to "shop around" when it comes to hospitals or treatments either, as often times your insurance company tells you where you should go or will only pay for treatment at certain hospitals.

In some cases you are right but not all surgeries are life and death and many are completely elective. Health Consumerism can be made possible with a few simple reforms. Like the lack of competition and the almost cartel like relationship between Hospitals/Doctors and the insurance companies. I am in support of some kind of plan to help the poor, but I would oppose all such measures untill these  issues are addressed.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #248 on: July 09, 2009, 11:32:25 PM »

You know you can walk into an ER for free and they have to take you.

1. They're often forced into one by their employer. As the business secures deals with the insurance company, it is far cheaper than if you bought it on your own. Very few people can afford to pay premiums without the aid of an employer.

2. The health insurance industry is not competitive at all. As to why, it probably has to do with over regulation combined with excellent lobbying.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #249 on: July 09, 2009, 11:45:43 PM »

You know you can walk into an ER for free and they have to take you.

1. They're often forced into one by their employer. As the business secures deals with the insurance company, it is far cheaper than if you bought it on your own. Very few people can afford to pay premiums without the aid of an employer.

2. The health insurance industry is not competitive at all. As to why, it probably has to do with over regulation combined with excellent lobbying.

And is there a reason why those two things can't be corrected. If people shopped around or at least those who could did, it will decrease prices making insurance more affordable and encourage price competition. You change regulation that hurts competition and work to again reduce prices through competition. I know, when my dad got laid off we would have to have paid three times as much for the insurance, allmost 1,000 dollars a month to keep it, then we did when he was employed. It was pretty damn good coverage two, and as such it had the price to match. We need to get those prices down and encourage ways to help people afford there health care once they get laid off. It will be much easier to cover everyone once we achieve what I am talking about, then to just jump in an pick up the tab.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 30  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies