The Atlasian Sentinel
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:37:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Atlasian Sentinel
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 30
Author Topic: The Atlasian Sentinel  (Read 63985 times)
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: June 22, 2009, 02:14:42 PM »
« edited: June 22, 2009, 02:17:22 PM by Vepres »

I think we need a concrete interpretation of that law, but either way, I do agree they need to be looked into, though the motives of some are suspect. But that in no way means they're wrong of course.

Edit: On reflection, I do think these votes may not be legal and should be challenged.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #151 on: June 22, 2009, 10:26:20 PM »

The Atlasian Sentinel

Supreme Court Rules Senate's GM Replacement Act Unconstitutional
By Vepres

The supreme court has ruled that the Removal of the GM Act that was passed in the senate, which would forcibly remove the GM, unconstitutional. Sam Spade, who delivered the courts opinion, stated that the GM was a constitutional executive office, and therefore couldn't be eliminated or transformed into a new executive office by the senate, save a constitutional amendment.

The court also found in a previous case, Sam Spade v. Porce, that the power to appoint the GM was vested solely in the President, thus the removal of the GM also is vested solely in the president. The senate was infringing the executive branch's power by removing the GM due to inactivity. Thus, they found the Removal of the GM Act unconstitutional. They stated that any present or future attempts by the senate to remove the GM will be deemed invalid.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #152 on: June 22, 2009, 10:32:41 PM »

It took awhile, but it's an excellent decision. I'm quite happy that the Supreme Court made this ruling to say only what myself and others have been saying since the beginning.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #153 on: June 22, 2009, 10:35:38 PM »

It took awhile, but it's an excellent decision. I'm quite happy that the Supreme Court made this ruling to say only what myself and others have been saying since the beginning.

While at the beginning I sided with the senate, the court's opinion is fool-proof, and therefore I side with them.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #154 on: June 22, 2009, 11:18:24 PM »

I dislike the Court's limiting of the "necessary and proper" clause to solely create executive offices (as opposed to general offices of the Republic), but I won't protest the decision. I know the Court put a lot of effort into crafting their ruling and I plan on abiding it.

I can only express my hope that, whomever shall be elected to the presidency, we will see a newly active GM to build on the recent activity in the game.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #155 on: June 23, 2009, 12:33:49 AM »

I dislike the Court's limiting of the "necessary and proper" clause to solely create executive offices (as opposed to general offices of the Republic), but I won't protest the decision.

There is no such limit in the ruling.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #156 on: June 23, 2009, 03:31:08 AM »
« Edited: June 23, 2009, 04:21:59 AM by Jas »

Vepres, first of all, this paper is excellent. Keep up the good work. Smiley

How do you think all of these controversial votes should be resolved, and who do you think should, and will become the next President?

Personally, I think some in the JCP are trying to win through a technicality, and that PiT won. However, what matters is the legal opinion of the justices, should it get that far. Whatever they decide, the Sentinel will support (however, I personally may not). In the end, I think PiT will win, but we'll have to see.

Electoral laws are not technicalities.

Nobody doubted their registration until the election turned out to be close.
Ditto
I also question if the same people would be fighting this hard for those votes not to count if the questionable votes had been for Leif, not PiT.

I voted for PiT...and I am challenging the votes.
And you are just about the only one, too.

Wrong. I would also be willing to challenge these votes.
^See bold^
What I'm saying, is that the one of the main reasons most of these "challengers" are challenging these votes is because they don't want PiT to win. Would they have challenged the votes if the votes were for Leif? Who knows, but I'm sure the chances would be a lot lower.

It doesn't matter why people want to challenge votes. If anyone has reason to believe that a vote was cast illegally...then I'd say it's their duty to challenge.
Agreed
But would they have challenged it if the votes were for PiT? Possibly, but I doubt it.

Jas would have challenged the votes. He likes to challenges elections and to sue the government.

^^^
We have a winner. Grin

(I also think I'm a tough fit for a JCP stooge, as I'm sure the President agrees.)
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #157 on: June 23, 2009, 03:32:21 AM »

In the Midwest, GMantis and Lewis.

Lewis left ages ago, I'm in for the Midwest now.

As Senator indeed.
The list though was of ilikeverins Governors & ican'tbelieveit'snotverins Lt. Governors.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #158 on: June 23, 2009, 03:36:49 AM »

How do you think all of these controversial votes should be resolved, and who do you think should, and will become the next President?

Personally, I think some in the JCP are trying to win through a technicality, and that PiT won. However, what matters is the legal opinion of the justices, should it get that far. Whatever they decide, the Sentinel will support (however, I personally may not). In the end, I think PiT will win, but we'll have to see.

Their registration is not in question (though I still believe that question marks hang-over some of these individuals). Their legal ability to vote in this election is at issue - and to my mind is open-and-shut.

I highlighted the issues as I noticed them. At any rate, even if one were to believe I was acting in some malign fashion - that doesn't take away from the veracity of my arguments.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #159 on: June 23, 2009, 11:45:40 AM »

Their registration is not in question (though I still believe that question marks hang-over some of these individuals). Their legal ability to vote in this election is at issue - and to my mind is open-and-shut.

I highlighted the issues as I noticed them. At any rate, even if one were to believe I was acting in some malign fashion - that doesn't take away from the veracity of my arguments.

Indeed, motives are meaningless if your arguments are sound.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #160 on: June 23, 2009, 11:52:54 AM »

The Atlasian Sentinel

Lief/Bacon King Elected
By Vepres

The SOFA certified the official election results, which elected Lief/Bacon King President and Vice President, respectively. It was a tie at 41 to 41 in the final round, however, because Lief/Bacon King had one more first preference vote, they were deemed the winners of the election.

This is, of course, after the Atlasian Sentinel reported that PiT had won. In Franzl's count, he did. However, the SOFA, who is more familiar with election laws and thus better qualified to determine which votes are valid and which aren't, and his results showed Lief winning. We apologize for the error.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #161 on: June 23, 2009, 12:14:30 PM »

In Franzl's count, he did. However, the SOFA, who is more familiar with election laws and thus better qualified to determine which votes are valid and which aren't, and his results showed Lief winning. We apologize for the error.

I posted a warning saying that my count included certain disputed votes! Wink
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #162 on: June 23, 2009, 12:18:40 PM »

The Atlasian Sentinel

Lief/Bacon King Elected
By Vepres

The SOFA certified the official election results, which elected Lief/Bacon King President and Vice President, respectively. It was a tie at 41 to 41 in the final round, however, because Lief/Bacon King had one more first preference vote, they were deemed the winners of the election.

This is, of course, after the Atlasian Sentinel reported that PiT had won. In Franzl's count, he did. However, the SOFA, who is more familiar with election laws and thus better qualified to determine which votes are valid and which aren't, and his results showed Lief winning. We apologize for the error.
It might not be in error.  PiT could still win, as this will go to court.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #163 on: June 23, 2009, 12:43:56 PM »

I dislike the Court's limiting of the "necessary and proper" clause to solely create executive offices (as opposed to general offices of the Republic), but I won't protest the decision.

There is no such limit in the ruling.

Why did the GM Act necessarily create the GM as an executive office? Under the necessary and proper clause, the GM was created, through statute, as an office outside of the direct jurisdiction of the President.

Granted the decision was lengthy and it's possible I misread.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #164 on: June 23, 2009, 01:45:44 PM »

Not my preferred outcome, but I suppose this is fine.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #165 on: June 23, 2009, 02:01:56 PM »

The Atlasian Sentinel

Lief/Bacon King Elected
By Vepres

Where can I find official results ?
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #166 on: June 23, 2009, 02:15:23 PM »

The Atlasian Sentinel

Lief/Bacon King Elected
By Vepres

SOFA thread, second to last page.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #167 on: June 24, 2009, 03:09:03 AM »

The Atlasian Sentinel

Lief/Bacon King Elected
By Vepres

SOFA thread, second to last page.

I didn't find it. Could you send me a link please ?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #168 on: June 24, 2009, 03:22:34 AM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=79358.msg2045787#msg2045787
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #169 on: June 24, 2009, 10:44:22 AM »
« Edited: June 24, 2009, 11:05:43 AM by Vepres »

The Atlasian Sentinel

BrandonH Nominated for GM Position; Confirmation Underway
By Vepres

President Bgwah appointed BrandonH to fill the GM position after Ebowed resigned. Yesterday marked the beginning of his confirmation hearing with the senate. Though the hearing has just begun, we do know that BrandonH's two biggest concerns will be our relations with foreign nations and the economic situation in Atlasia. He has also stated that he hopes to provide updates at least weekly, and that he can dedicate enough time to fulfill the duties of the GM.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #170 on: June 25, 2009, 09:16:34 AM »
« Edited: June 26, 2009, 11:53:04 PM by Vepres »

Whoops, accidentally deleted article. Oh well.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #171 on: June 26, 2009, 11:53:34 PM »
« Edited: June 26, 2009, 11:56:34 PM by Vepres »

The Atlasian Sentinel

Editorial: Post-Election Blues Felt Across Atlasia; Governors Should Act
By Vepres

Now that the election season is over, many Atlasians are withdrawing into the void, silent. Just a few days ago, two-thirds of the front page had posts from the current day. Now, only three can claim that. The contrast between now and just last week is stark to say the least. It's as if the majority of Atlasians have gone on extended vacation.

Even the Senate is feeling it. While they wait for the new senate to begin, they have largely stopped activity, only debating bills introduced prior to the election fall-out (where Lief was declared victorious). The exception to this is the Intelligent Voting Amendment to the constitution which, among other things, changes the requirements to register to vote and to become a President or officeholder.

While BrandonH is stuck in confirmation, we have absolutely nothing to talk about or do in Atlasia. The regional governors should do something to stir activity in their respective regions. After all, it is part of the job. Governor Inks.LWC is trying just that by bumping up the Mideast Assembly thread. I urge CultureKing, AndrewCT, Duke, and GMantis to do something. anything to inject discussion and debate into Atlasia now, before we get too far into these blues. If not, Atlasia will be dead for the next month and a half, which would be unfortunate.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #172 on: June 27, 2009, 12:08:23 AM »

That is fairly typical after an election...but where are the lawsuits?  That would liven things up a bit.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #173 on: June 27, 2009, 12:09:30 AM »

I expect everyone is waiting for the court challenge to the election results to start. If we can get the runoff expect activity to shoot upwards.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #174 on: June 27, 2009, 10:31:58 AM »

I expect everyone is waiting for the court challenge to the election results to start. If we can get the runoff expect activity to shoot upwards.

Obviously. However, I want the governors to actually do something to fill the void. Not just now, but during the whole off season.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 30  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies