Milton Friedman's great-niece set to run UK economy (in 20 years or so)

(1/3) > >>

Bono:
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2004460785,00.html

Jess, 17, to wow Tories

By ALEX PEAKE

THIS is 17-year-old Jessica Lever who will address the Tory conference this week - and plans to be the first woman Chancellor.

Jessica - great-niece of the famous economist Milton Friedman - hopes her speech on Thursday will persuade other youngsters to get active in politics.

The A-level student of Elstree, North London, joined the Tories after reading her 92-year-old uncle's weighty tome Capitalism and Freedom at the age of 14.

She said: "It was all about freedom of choice, freedom from the nanny state, which are things I really believe in."

She added: "I'm nervous about Thursday. But it's nervous excitement more than anything. I'm more excited than scared."

The schoolgirl has already sat on a Tory candidate selection panel.

She has been told she has "great expectations" by ex PM Lady Thatcher.

Jessica said: "That's quite a responsibility for me, because she is one of my heroines. If I do make it as an MP, I'd like to work in the Treasury.

"My aspiration is to be the first female Chancellor of the Exchequer."

She added: "In the common room at school, a lot of people sit around complaining and I say, 'What is the point of complaining if you're not going to do something about it?'

"A lot of them have no interest at all. They say, 'Like, sorry, who's the Prime Minister?'"

After A-levels, she hopes to go to Oxford to read politics, philosophy and economics, and then train as a taxation lawyer as a grounding for leading the Treasury.

Pals are comparing Jessica to former Tory leader William Hague, who made his conference debut aged just 16.

She said: "I feel very strongly about politics and it is my main interest.

"But I've a normal teenage life - going to the gym, the cinema and hanging round with friends."

Tory:
Sounds like a girl with her head on straight.

Bono:
Quote from: Tory on October 06, 2004, 12:22:12 PM

Is that Pat Cox in your sig?

Tory:
Quote from: Bono on October 06, 2004, 12:24:12 PM

Quote from: Tory on October 06, 2004, 12:22:12 PM

Is that Pat Cox in your sig?

Boris Johnson and Maggie

Filuwaúrdjan:
Another reason to vote Labour

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page