Dave's Redistricting App (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 08:47:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Dave's Redistricting App (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dave's Redistricting App  (Read 308602 times)
Badlands17
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: -5.04

« on: July 03, 2009, 07:55:25 AM »

I gave this app a crack for my native state, Indiana. I wanted to make a nonpartisan map so I made it and then looked up how it would affect the existing representatives.

District 1 (blue) trades in Newton, Jasper, and Benton counties for the Michigan City area; probably slightly safer for Visclosky.

District 2 (green) is adjusted a little to the east and loses Michigan City and gerrymandered Kokomo, so it's probably less safe for Joe Donnelly in the process.

District 3 (royal purple) is pushed up against the Ohio state line by the 2nd, and as a result expands southward slightly. Souter still safe in most challenges, can get down to favored.

District 4 (red) loses its gerrymandered constituencies in Bedford and the Indy suburbs and gains the Terre Haute area. While initially probably lean Rep, the Lafayette area has been becoming more Dem lately (seen by the particularly strong performance of Barack Obama last year), and this might very well be a swing district by the end of the 2010s.

District 5 (gold) is a suburban ring around Indianapolis, composed entirely of county fragments. Both Steve Buyer and Dan Burton are going to have to fight for this one, but it will be even stronger Republican than it was before.

District 6 (teal) is a belt stretching from Richmond to Kokomo made up of towns with low prospects and population growth (that were not helped by the auto industry's recent collapse, upon which it was heavily dependent). More Dem but still lean Rep.

District 7 (gray) is modified as to be stronger Dem, designed to take in as many lower-class minority constituents as possible (however, it's still three fifths white).

District 8 (grayish purple) trades the Terre Haute area for the Bloomington area; slightly safer for Ellsworth.

District 9 (turquoise) is pulled to the east and probably becomes lean Rep; Pence and Hill fight for this one.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies