Dave's Redistricting App
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:01:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Dave's Redistricting App
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 48
Author Topic: Dave's Redistricting App  (Read 307691 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: July 27, 2009, 08:39:23 AM »

Louise Slaughter lives in Fairport, southeast of Rochester, FWIW. The current gerrymander loops her in.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #176 on: July 27, 2009, 08:45:55 AM »

Massa's district could definitely be made more safe by switching Steuben and maybe parts (all?) of Chemung for parts/all of Ontario, which only barely voted for McCain. That would also make the district boundaries neater. Unless Massa lives in Steuben/Chemung? (Ontario was 49-49; Steuben was 41-58 while Chemung was 49-50.)
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #177 on: July 27, 2009, 05:36:59 PM »

Massa does indeed live in Steuben, the only reason that county is in his district.

Was not aware Slaughter lived in that part. Wikipedia's maps showing the location of towns in NY are crappy.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #178 on: July 28, 2009, 03:56:03 PM »

Massa does indeed live in Steuben, the only reason that county is in his district.

Was not aware Slaughter lived in that part. Wikipedia's maps showing the location of towns in NY are crappy.

I was at the Fairport High School 20th reunion this weekend with my partner. He's not particularly political but he knows Louise Slaughter is local. Smiley
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #179 on: July 29, 2009, 12:14:29 AM »
« Edited: July 29, 2009, 12:21:10 AM by Verily »

All right, New York!

NY-01: Outer Suffolk
Largely unchanged, border with NY-02 neatened up

NY-02: Inner Suffolk
Also largely unchanged, borders neatened up

NY-03: Nassau South
In an effort to actually combine communities of interest in Nassau instead of the pell-mell gerrymandering of the current map, I reorganized the districts into a South Shore and a North Shore district. This one covers the South Shore now.

NY-04: Nassau North
Similar to Nassau South, this district takes in the North Shore of Nassau County. The relatively slow growth of Nassau County means this district expands while NY-05 contracts into Queens.

NY-05: Queens North East
This district contracts into Queens, and now contains Flushing, Bayside, College Point and a handful of other outer Queens neighborhoods. Plurality white (42%) with a very substantial Asian minority (33%)

NY-06: Queens South East
Containing Jamaica, Far Rockaway and a few adjacent areas in Nassau, this district is the first majority-black district at exactly 50%. Whites are only 18%, though; Hispanics are 16% and Asians 11%. The boundaries of this CD have been neatened up somewhat.

NY-07: Queens North West
Containing Jackson Heights, Corona, Astoria, Long Island City and numerous other inner Queens neighborhoods, this district has withdrawn entirely out of the Bronx and therefore declined slightly in Hispanic population, but it’s still strongly plurality Hispanic at 43%, to 24% white and 23% Asian.

NY-08: I’d rather not talk about this one.
The result of my neatening up in New York City was that Anthony Weiner’s district disappeared and reappeared in the Bronx and Westchester. Also, because I wanted to create a black-plurality district around the Bronx, Mount Vernon and Yonkers (NY-17, below), this district ends up misshapen. If one were not trying to create a black-plurality district, it would be easy enough to neaten things up substantially by moving one of the two districts entirely into the Bronx and the other northward into Westchester.

NY-09: Brooklyn South and Rockaway
Containing Coney Island, Gravesend and Rockaway Point, this district withdraws entirely from non-Rockaway Queens and becomes a solidly Brooklyn-based district. It’s also probably not strongly Democratic, although I can’t imagine it actually electing a Republican. (It’s probably D+8 or so.)

NY-10: Brooklyn East
Containing East Flatbush, New Lots, Canarsie, Cypress Hills and a few adjacent areas in Queens, this is the second black-majority district, at 54%.

NY-11: Brooklyn Central
Containing Bed-Stuy and the neighborhoods adjacent to Prospect Park, this is the third black-majority district, at 56%.

NY-12: Brooklyn North and the Lower East Side
The bulk of this district’s population is in Brooklyn, but it does make forays into both Manhattan and Queens to take in extra population in these boroughs and to achieve a Hispanic plurality. Unlike the extremely gerrymandered monstrosity that preceded it, however, this version is only 38% Hispanic, and 35% white, which may be objectionable.

NY-13: Staten Island and Brooklyn South West
More or less the same as the current district, maybe marginally more Democratic than previous due to a rearrangement of which Brooklyn areas are in the district.

NY-14: Manhattan South and Central
This is the Silk Stocking District reimagined. The old version contained a big chunk of Queens in Astoria and LIC; this version is entirely within Manhattan and takes in the wealthy neighborhoods in Lower Manhattan as well as the ultra-liberal neighborhoods along the Hudson. Since Anthony Weiner’s district went *poof*, he probably inherits this one from Carolyn Maloney.

NY-15: Manhattan North
Charlie Rangel will eventually lose a primary as demographics shift; that is inevitable. This district is only 27% black, and even with valiant (abandoned) gerrymandering attempts I couldn’t get blacks to second-place status, let alone a plurality. (Whites are 32% in this CD; Hispanics are 34%.) This district contracts southward slightly, now taking in all of the Upper West Side but losing part of Inwood.

NY-16: Bronx Southwest
Containing Inwood in Manhattan as well as the southwestern neighborhoods of the Bronx, this district is overwhelmingly Hispanic at 66%, and only 4% white, probably the lowest percentage in the nation. (It’s 25% black.) Otherwise, it’s not terribly exciting and little changed, other than the new foray into Manhattan and the loss of some areas of the Bronx to…

NY-17: Bronx North and Mount Vernon
This surprisingly compact district has a black plurality. It’s a reimagining of Eliot Engel’s district to focus on the black population concentrated in extreme southern Westchester and the central and northern Bronx. At 35% black and 34% Hispanic, it might not elect a black Congressman, but it probably would. Whites make up only 22% of the district; they live mostly in Riverdale and around Van Cortlandt Park.

NY-18: Tarrytown and Rockland
This district is shoved further upstate, losing big chunks of Westchester for more of Rockland and a small part of Orange. Despite the change, it’s still solidly Democratic; the Westchester portion is the bulk of the district and voted around 60% for Obama.

NY-19: Hudson Valley East
John Hall breathes a sigh of relief. Containing Democratic-leaning Dutchess and Columbia Counties as well as the most Democratic portions of Orange County, this district easily makes up for the Republican lean of exurban Putnam County to make a reasonably secure district for Hall. D+3 would be my guess.

NY-20: Adirondacks
This district migrates northward dramatically, taking in many of the rural counties previously associated with NY-23 (indeed, it may be considered a renumbering of NY-23). However, it contains Scott Murphy’s strongholds in Washington and Warren Counties and loses some Republican areas to the west. Overall, it is probably around D+1, and it would be a fierce battle between Murphy and Scozzafava, assuming the latter wins the NY-23 special election.

NY-21: Albany North and Schenectady
The splitting of Albany is regrettable but a geographic necessity to reach the required population for NY-22. Nonetheless, this district is reasonably compact and reasonably Democratic, probably similar to its current partisanship or only a slight decline. It moves northward and eastward, losing much of Albany County and areas beyond it while gaining the rest of Rensselaer and most of Saratoga.

NY-22: Albany South and Hudson Valley West
This district loses its ridiculous extension to Ithaca and instead takes in more rural areas. Anchored around Kingston and also containing some very Democratic suburbs of Albany and even a part of the city itself, it’s still not likely to go Republican, although maybe more so than previously. D+5?

NY-23: Syracuse and Rome
Okay, this district bears almost no resemblance to the old NY-23. It takes in Syracuse and some surrounding counties, but is overall reasonably solidly Democratic due to Syracuse. Likely D+3 or so.

NY-24: Ithaca and Binghamton
It’s pretty much impossible to draw a Republican district containing Ithaca; this district is no different. It’s probably the most Democratic of the non-urban upstate districts, although that still means it’s only about D+4.

NY-25: Rochester
Yawn. This district could have been drawn just in Monroe County, but either way it’s solidly Democratic. Louise Slaughter lives in this district although it little resembles her previous district.

NY-26: Southern Tier
a.k.a the Burned Over District, a.k.a Republican-land. Not much to say about this one other than that Lee is very safe.

NY-27: Buffalo South
Less solid for Higgins due to gaining Cattaraugus County and losing more of Buffalo, but he should still be safe in this D+4 or so district.

NY-28: Buffalo North and Niagara Falls
I think the Buffalo parts of this district anchor it as Democratic, but I’m not certain. Well over half of the district is in Erie County, much of that in Buffalo, but the rest of the district leans Republican; although it resembles Louise Slaughter’s district, this one is a very different beast. I’m guessing D+2 or so.

Also, could someone explain to me how you do area maps?
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #180 on: August 08, 2009, 12:34:56 PM »

Here's a map of Louisiana with 150k population districts (29 in total):

I wanted to see how many majority black districts I could make; I ended up with 9, although as you can see that required a little finesse in some places. There are three of them in New Orleans (yellow, dark blue, and dark green), two in Baton Rouge (light green and pink), one between those two cities (grey), one northwest of Baton Rouge (light green, sort of dog-shaped) one in Shreveport (orange), and one in the Monroe area (purple "--C"-shaped one).
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #181 on: August 09, 2009, 05:05:58 PM »

I had some time to play around with the tool this afternoon and looked at the map of MA using the 2008 data. I divided no town except for Boston as this is the primary goal of any MA map. All the districts are within 300 persons of the ideal size which is less than 0.1% maximum variation. I attempted to balance two secondary goals: to keep districts somewhat compact and to keep county fragments to a minimum.

Some items of interest compared to the current map which loses CD 10.

CD 1 picks up Springfield and loses the northern part.

CD 2 shifts east to pick up Worcester and Franklin County.

CD 3 becomes more compact and links the Fitchburg area to Framingham and Dedham.

CD 4 shifts south and east to take in the Cape and Islands from current CD 10.

CD 5 remains centered on Lowell and Lawrence, but dips south to the Woburn area.

CD 6 extends south all the way into the northern part of Boston including Beacon Hill.

CD 7 shifts south to pick up Newton, Brookline and the Allston-Brighton part of Boston.

CD 8 takes up the rest of Boston and the near south suburbs including Quincy.

CD 9 keeps Brockton, but otherwise extends across the south suburbs from RI to Mass Bay.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #182 on: August 11, 2009, 11:50:24 PM »

Massachusetts with districts of approximately 100,000 persons each.  If there were 3 members per district, the 189 members would approximately comply with the cube root rule (185 for Massachusetts population).

The average deviation is 0.96%, 38 districts are within 1% of the ideal population, 55 within 2%, and all 63 are withing 3%.

Split cities/towns are Springfield, Worcester, Lowell, Newton, Somerville, Melrose, Lynn, Boston, Quincy, Fall River, and New Bedford.

1. Pittsfield & The Berkshires
2. Northern Connecticut Valley
3. Amherst, Northampton, & Central Connecticut Valley
4. Westfield, Agawam, & Southern Connecticut Valley
5. Holyoke. West Springfield, South Hadley, & Easthampton
6. Chicopee, Ludlow, Belchertown, & Palmer
7. Springfield Central
8. Springfield East & Greater Springfield
9. Worcester Southwest
10. Fitchburg, Gardner, & Worcester North
11. Middlesex Northwest & Worcester Northeast
12. Leominster & Worcester Central
13. Worcester City North
14. Worcester City South, Auburn, & Millbury
15. Shrewsbury, Worcester East, & Middlesex Southwest
16. Worcester Southwest
17. Chelmsford, Dracut, Westford, & Middlesex North
18. Lowell
19. Billerica, Tewksbury, Burlington, & Middlesex,Northeast
20. Wakefield, Reading, Stoneham, & Wilmington
21. Malden, Saugus, & Melrose
22. Medford & Arlington
23. Woburn, Lexington, Winchester, & Bedford
24. Waltham, Concord, Sudbury, & Lincoln
25. Marlborough, Acton, & Middlesex West
26. Framingham & Natick
27. Needham, Wellesley, Dedham, & MIddlesex South Central
28. Brookline & Newton South
29. Newton North, Waterton, & Belmont
30. Cambridge
31. Somerville & Everett
32. Lawrence & Andover
33. Metheun, North Andover, & Essex West
34. Haverhill & Essex North
35. Gloucester & Cape Anne
36. Salem, Beverly, & Marblehead
37. Peabody, Danvers, & Essex South
38. Lynn, Swampscott, & Nahant
39. Revere, Chelsea, & Winthrop
40. Boston (East Boston, Central Boston, & Charlestown) & Somerville South
41. Boston (Allston, Brighton, Back Bay, & Fenway)
42. Boston (Dorchester & South Boston)
43. Boston (Roxbury & South End)
44. Boston (Mattapan & South Dorchester)
45. Boston (West Roxbury, Jamaica Plain, Roslindale, & Hyde Park)
46. Franklin, Milford, Norfolk West, & Middlesex South
47. Mansfield, Easton, Norfolk Southwest, & Norton
48. Stoughton, Walpole, & Norfolk West Central
49. Randolph, Norwood, Canton, & Norfolk Central
50. Quincy & Milton
51. Weymouth, Braintree, & Quincy South
52. Attleboro, North Attleborough, & Bristol Northwest
53. Taunton, Bridgewater, Raynham, & Halifax
54. Dartmouth & Bristol Central
55. Fall River & Westport
56. New Bedford & Acushnet
57. Brockton & West Bridgewater
58. Plymouth Central
59. Marshfield & Plymouth North
60. Plymouth Town & Plymouth South
61. Falmouth, Wareham, Buzzards Bay, & Martha's Vineyard
62. Barnstable Town, Sandwich, Bourne, & Mashpee
63. Yarmouth, Cape Cod, & Nantucket
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #183 on: August 12, 2009, 08:18:15 AM »

I can't believe you did that.

I've never seen MV and Nantucket split before, but the ferry routes do argue for your division, and it gets the islands double representation.
RBH

« Reply #184 on: August 12, 2009, 06:32:47 PM »

The Boston City Council with 21 districts

District number- White%-Black%-Hispanic%-Asian%-Oth%

01- 79%-2%-6%-12%-1% (blue, SW Allston/Brighton)
02- 62%-6%-14%-16%-1% (green, Central Allston/Brighton)
03- 66%-4%-10%-18%-1% (purple, East Allston/Brighton, Boston University)
04- 77%-4%-12%-7%-1% (red, Charlestown)
05- 41%-3%-51%-4%-2% (yellow, East Boston)
06- 53%-10%-10%-26%-1% (teal, Chinatown and surrounding areas)
07- 87%-2%-4%-6%-1% (gray, Back Bay)
08- 87%-1%-9%-2%-0% (blueish, East Boston)
09- 68%-10%-10%-11%-1% (skyblue, SE of 3, NW of 16)
10- 26%-22%-47%-4%-1% (fuchsia, east of 20)
11- 90%-2%-4%-3%-1% (Green, SW Boston)
12- 42%-23%-20%-12%-2% (skyblue, East, with an extension into central)
13- 12%-53%-23%-8%-4% (pinkish, North of 14)
14- 4%-68%-21%-3%-4% (gold, NW of 17)
15- 39%-32%-26%-2%-1% (orange, S/SE of 10)
16- 32%-35%-25%-5%-3% (green, SE of 9)
17- 48%-25%-9%-16%-2% (blueish, NE of 18)
18- 18%-66%-10%-3%-2% (yellow, south, east of 19)
19- 16%-69%-12%-1%-1% (olive, south)
20- 63%-12%-15%-9%-1% (soft pink, west of 10)
21- 54%-25%-16%-3%-1% (maroon, SW corner)

Any thoughts
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #185 on: August 12, 2009, 09:39:54 PM »

I've never seen MV and Nantucket split before, but the ferry routes do argue for your division, and it gets the islands double representation.
I would have had to split Barnstable town if I had left Nantucket out of the Cape Cod district.  And then if I had gone from Martha's Vineyard to Wood's Hole and then northward towards the Cape Cod Canal, I would have had to get two districts where there was just one line of towns.  And Plymouth has a fairly substantial population so it might have needed to be split.

So this worked out pretty good population-wise.  I probably could have tried to include the ferry landings in New Bedford, but it ended up that just a small bit of that city, so I took an area adjacent to Fairhaven.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #186 on: August 12, 2009, 11:10:22 PM »

I would have had to split Barnstable town if I had left Nantucket out of the Cape Cod district.  And then if I had gone from Martha's Vineyard to Wood's Hole and then northward towards the Cape Cod Canal, I would have had to get two districts where there was just one line of towns.  And Plymouth has a fairly substantial population so it might have needed to be split.

So this worked out pretty good population-wise.  I probably could have tried to include the ferry landings in New Bedford, but it ended up that just a small bit of that city, so I took an area adjacent to Fairhaven.

That will be an interesting quandary in MA if splitting the islands keeps a town intact.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #187 on: August 12, 2009, 11:38:05 PM »

The Boston City Council with 21 districts

District number- White%-Black%-Hispanic%-Asian%-Oth%

01- 79%-2%-6%-12%-1% (blue, SW Allston/Brighton)
02- 62%-6%-14%-16%-1% (green, Central Allston/Brighton)
03- 66%-4%-10%-18%-1% (purple, East Allston/Brighton, Boston University)
04- 77%-4%-12%-7%-1% (red, Charlestown)
05- 41%-3%-51%-4%-2% (yellow, East Boston)
06- 53%-10%-10%-26%-1% (teal, Chinatown and surrounding areas)
07- 87%-2%-4%-6%-1% (gray, Back Bay)
08- 87%-1%-9%-2%-0% (blueish, East Boston)
09- 68%-10%-10%-11%-1% (skyblue, SE of 3, NW of 16)
10- 26%-22%-47%-4%-1% (fuchsia, east of 20)
11- 90%-2%-4%-3%-1% (Green, SW Boston)
12- 42%-23%-20%-12%-2% (skyblue, East, with an extension into central)
13- 12%-53%-23%-8%-4% (pinkish, North of 14)
14- 4%-68%-21%-3%-4% (gold, NW of 17)
15- 39%-32%-26%-2%-1% (orange, S/SE of 10)
16- 32%-35%-25%-5%-3% (green, SE of 9)
17- 48%-25%-9%-16%-2% (blueish, NE of 18)
18- 18%-66%-10%-3%-2% (yellow, south, east of 19)
19- 16%-69%-12%-1%-1% (olive, south)
20- 63%-12%-15%-9%-1% (soft pink, west of 10)
21- 54%-25%-16%-3%-1% (maroon, SW corner)

Any thoughts

The census bureau data for voting precincts is organized by wards, but in Boston it appears that the wards are no longer used for political purposes, since they have quite variable populations and are reasonably compact.  In other cities in Massachusetts, it appears the wards are still used for city council elections.  In many cases there will be some fingers coming out from the city centers, trying to maintain the basic district alignment (as opposed to completely eliminating a district in one area, and creating a replacement elsewhere).

I started by trying to get enough population for a whole number of districts.  Boston is just short of 6 districts.  Most of the towns around Boston have significant population which makes it difficult to find combinations that would work together.  Cambridge and the other three Suffolk County towns (Chelsea, Revere, and Winthrop) are almost perfect for a district each.  It would be nice to use Brookline since Boston surrounds about 80% of it, but it doesn't get anywhere near the target population.  So that is how Boston ended up being matches up with Somerville and Everett.  The connection from Boston is OK since Somerville is adjacent to Charlestown and gives some more weight to Charlestown which is rather small.  I don't think you can actually drive from Somerville to Everett so those two are somewhat iffy.  And to avoid separating those two, the part of Somerville placed with Boston is a long finger along the Cambridge line.

Starting with East Boston and Charlestown, the only adjacent areas are in the central area including North End, Beacon Hill, etc.) to make up enough population.    Allston/Brighton is about 3/4 of a district and by the time you include Fenway about the only choice is to include Back Bay.  If you head south you're just wandering around to pick up enough population with no focus.

I had thought the Black population was generally moving southwest, perhaps because I mentally connect West Roxbury and Roxbury.  But the growth is more to the south into Mattapan and parts of Dorchester.

I was surprised that there were two Hispanic majority districts in Boston.  One in East Boston and the other in Roxbury.  Are these mostly Puerto Rican?  Or Dominican or something else.  Are Azoreans counted as Hispanic, and are there signficant concentrations in Boston, moving up from New Bedford, Fall River, and Providence?

So I was thinking that I had drawn two White districts in from South Boston through Mattapan, and a Black district and a mixed district from Roxbury to West Roxbury and Hyde Park.

I had played around a bit with putting South Boston and the South End together.  Note that #8 on your map is South Boston not East Boston, though it does include Logan Airport.  This is a weird precinct that also includes the Old Harbor between South Boston and Quincy, and likely the islands in the Harbor.  I'm not sure where the people actually live.

If I had included South Boston with the South End then I could also have included the more northern and eastern parts of Dorchester.  And then the Roxbury district could have gone somewhat more  southward.  This would have rotated the Forest Green, Brown, and Slate districts about 1/3 or a district counter-clockwise.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #188 on: August 12, 2009, 11:47:50 PM »

That will be an interesting quandary in MA if splitting the islands keeps a town intact.
According to my atlas, there is not year-round ferry service from Martha's Vineyard to Nantucket, nor from Falmouth to Martha's Vineyard.

Instead year-round service is from Yarmouth (Hyannis Port) to Nantucket; and from New Bedford to Martha's Vineyard.  So my districts actually comply with the transportation links.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #189 on: August 13, 2009, 08:09:49 AM »

I was surprised that there were two Hispanic majority districts in Boston.  One in East Boston and the other in Roxbury.  Are these mostly Puerto Rican?  Or Dominican or something else.  Are Azoreans counted as Hispanic, and are there signficant concentrations in Boston, moving up from New Bedford, Fall River, and Providence?

East Boston has, I think, a large Mexican population that only recently developed in the city.

There is a large Puerto Rican community in part of the South End that shades into Roxbury. There are public housing projects in the middle of substantially gentrified streets of townhouses. One of them is called Villa Victoria and is located on Dartmouth Street; it has a strong identity as a Puerto Rican community built literally into its walls and includes both high rises and 1960s-style modern townhomes.

I know very little about Roxbury, but parts of the South End I do know about may be classed as Roxbury for official purposes. Blame the realtors for pushing "the South End" out to the west and south.
RBH

« Reply #190 on: August 14, 2009, 10:24:18 PM »

Gerrymander theater

District 1 (55948 people): 52% Hispanic, 40% White
District 2 (55795 people): 74% White, 22% Hispanic
District 3 (55461 people): 59% Hispanic, 27% White, 11% Native American
District 4 (55377 people): 85% White, 10% Hispanic

this is with the 2000 numbers, which are 56% white, 36% Hispanic, 4% Native American

the estimates would probably make a real electable majority in two Hispanic districts possible.

For those unfamiliar with the map of Yakima County, District 1 is East Yakima, District 4 is West Yakima, District 2 is rural, District 3 is rural and Hispanic.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #191 on: August 16, 2009, 04:30:39 PM »

10 districts of Arizona excitement, brilliantly cut off by the stupid jpg converter:

AZ-01 (magenta, Ann Kirkpatrick - D) - Pretty much unchanged.
AZ-02 (teal, Trent Franks - R) - Also mostly the same. I kept the stupid little gerrymander the state law requires.
AZ-03 (red, John Shadegg - R) - Once again, kept close to the original.
AZ-04 (purple, Ed Pastor - D) - Moved a bit to the left, but still majority-Hispanic.
AZ-05 (yellow, Harry Mitchell - D) - Chopped off the northeastern parts and made it more Democratic.
AZ-06 (blue, Jeff Flake - R) - Shifted north to pick up the aforementioned removed parts of Mitchell's district.
AZ-07 (light purple, Raul Grijalva - D) - Removed the La Paz and Santa Cruz portions of the district. Still 54% or so Hispanic.
AZ-08 (gray, Gabrielle Giffords - D) - Took out the Oro Valley part of the district and added the heavily-Hispanic part of Santa Cruz to make it more Democratic.
AZ-09 (green, new district) - Majority-Hispanic district, safe Dem.
AZ-10 (teal, new district) - Stretches from the Oro Valley up to the southeastern tip of Maricopa. Should be safe Republican.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #192 on: August 21, 2009, 06:22:24 AM »

Dem gerrymander of Michigan:

MI-01 (dark blue, Bart Stupak - D) - I didn't change Stupak's district much. At best it's added a couple of Dem-leaning counties.
MI-02 (pink, Vern Ehlers - R) - Combination of Hoekstra's district and the Grand Rapids portion of Ehlers'. Should be a fairly Democratic district.
MI-03 (brown, open) - A safe Republican district encompassing the suburbs of Grand Rapids and the Republican counties north of there. Ehlers would probably move here.
MI-04 (red, Dave Camp - R) - Added Saginaw to Camp's district, making his re-election much harder.
MI-05 (dark green, Dale Kildee - D) - He lost Saginaw but retains heavily-Democratic Flint. Also picks up some Democratic portions of Candace Miller's district. Should still be safe.
MI-06 (light purple, Fred Upton - R) - Expands east to take in the Republican territory from Schauer's district. Safe Republican.
MI-07 (light green, Mark Schauer - D) - Basically a Battle Creek/Lansing district, so it'll be much safer for Schauer.
MI-08 (teal, Mike Rogers - R and Thad McCotter - R) - I put Rogers and McCotter in a new, Ann Arbor-based district. Either one would lose the general. Rogers might move and challenge Kildee in his district, but that would still be an uphill climb for him.
MI-09 (grey, Gary Peters - D) - Not much changed here, although he did lose a few Republican bits at the top of his district.
MI-10 (purple, Candace Miller - R) - Safe Republican district, didn't change much.
MI-11 (light blue, John Dingell - D) - Dingell's district expanded southwest to include the slightly-Republican county of Lenawee. It should still be balanced out by the Wayne portions of the district.
MI-12 (yellow, Sander Levin - D) - Not much changed here.
MI-13 (magenta, Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick - D) - Expanded a bit, but still majority-black (51%).
MI-14 (light purple, John Conyers - D) - Same here, 53% black.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #193 on: August 28, 2009, 08:53:53 PM »

Dave's added Alabama, Colorado, Illinois, Maryland, Mississippi, and Virginia. I will be posting a Virginia map shortly.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #194 on: August 28, 2009, 09:09:27 PM »

Here's the map of Ohio I made.  All districts are have a deviation from the ideal population of less than 1000.  I used the new estimates for population and made 16 districts since Ohio is projected to lose 2 after the next census.

Blue: A safer district for Dreihaus-D (OH-1)
Dark Green: Schmidt-R (OH-2), Jordan-R (OH-4), and Austria-R (OH-7) are pitted against each other.  Jordan would likely move to represent the red district.  Austria defeats the reviled Schmidt in the primary
Magenta: Turner-R (OH-3) gets a slightly less friendly district and could face a stiffer challenge.
Red: As I mentioned, Jordan probably moves into this open seat.
Yellow: An open seat which Latta-R (OH-5) may move in on.  This district is more Dem friendly than the current OH-5 but is probably still around R+5 or more.
Blue-Green: This is an open seat and would probably be hotly contested despite the Republican lean.  Wilson-D (OH-6) may move in here giving the Dems a semi-incumbent advantage.
Gray: Boccieri-D (OH-16) Gets a much safer district and cruises to re-election.
Purple: Boner Boehner remains safe.
Cyan: Kaptur-D (OH-9) faces off against Latta-R (OH-5) in a contest she'd almost certainly win.  As mentioned earlier, Latta will likely move to the yellow district.
Pink: I don't think I've take the elf Kucinich out of this district.  Safe Dem regardless.
Yellow-Green: Fudge-D (OH-11) is safe but the district drops below 50% black.
Lilac: Tiberi-R (OH-12) trades most of his black constituents for suburban whites and becomes considerably safer.
Peach: Sutton-D (OH-13) sees a dramatic change in her district but remains safe
Bronze: LaTourette-R (OH-14) faces off against Ryan-D (OH-17) in what will surely be the most contested race in the state.  However, the district has a distinct Democratic tilt to it which will probably put Ryan over the top.
Orange:: I think Kilroy-D (OH-15) is still in this district and it becomes much easier for her to hold.
Neon Green: This district pits Space-D (OH-18) against Wilson-D (OH-6) but Wilson may move.  This district is much more Dem friendly than Space's current district and he should have little trouble holding it even though it probably leans Rep.
I think you missd a good oppoortunity not connecting Montgomery and Clark counties, or at least greater Springfield. Turner would likely still be safe, but the district turns notably more Democratic whil maintaining contiguity. Also I think you're throwing in the towel way too fast on Tiberi's district. It's an Obama district rapidly growing Democratic. In a good year where Franklin County Dems aren't focusing on getting Kilroy (re) elected this district will flip.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #195 on: August 28, 2009, 10:08:28 PM »

No time wasted...

Click to embiggen.

VA-01 (teal, Rob Wittman - R) - Wittman's district is reconfigured to stretch from the Northern Neck (eastern edge) to the West Virginia border, taking in the exurbs of Northern Virginia along the way. Safe Republican district.
VA-02 (dark green, Glenn Nye - D) - I excised the Republican portions of Virginia Beach, added all of Norfolk and minority-heavy parts of Chesapeake and Suffolk. The district is 35% black now and probably voted pretty strongly for Obama, I'd guess in the high-50s.
VA-03 (dark blue, Bobby Scott - D) - Not much changed here. Removed Norfolk, added Petersburg and some more territory around Richmond. 53% black.
VA-04 (purple, Randy Forbes - R) - Pretty much all the population here is Chesapeake, Virginia Beach, and Chesterfield. The district is solidly Republican now.
VA-05 (red, Tom Perriello - D) - The heavily-Republican southwestern part of the district is removed, and instead it stretches both down southeast to the Greensville/Emporia area and northeast to Caroline/Essex/King & Queen, both Democratic areas. Also included most of Lynchburg, not a heavily Democratic city but friendlier territory than the Bedford area. District probably voted for Obama in the low-50s. Now 27% black.
VA-06 (light green, Bob Goodlatte - R) - Picked up the aforementioned Bedford area, and lost Lynchburg and the Democratic parts of Roanoke. Safe Republican.
VA-07 (yellow, Eric Cantor - R) - Instead of stretching up almost to NoVa, the district now spreads east to the Jamestown/York/Williamsburg historic triangle. Sorry, Williamsburg.
VA-08 (grey, Jim Moran - D) - Alexandria, part of Arlington, and eastern Fairfax. Safe D. Interestingly, this district is only 54% white.
VA-09 (magenta, Rick Boucher - D) - Poor Rick Boucher, can't do much for him. Added the Democratic parts of Roanoke and snaked up to Bath County, so Creigh Deeds could give it a try in the future if he felt like it.
VA-10 (light blue, Frank Wolf - R) - Wondering about the population growth in NoVa? Well, this district now consists solely of Loudoun, Prince William, Clarke, and a sliver of Fairfax. Probably won by Obama with around 55%, Wolf would be able to hold it but it would be a tossup (slightly Dem-leaning) in an open seat.
VA-11 (light purple, Gerry Connolly - D) - western Fairfax, Falls Church, part of Arlington, Manassas/Manassas Park and one or two precincts of Prince William. Safe Dem seat, probably 60%+ for Obama.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #196 on: August 30, 2009, 02:56:07 PM »

I've used the tool to divide Illinois into 18 Congressional districts with the 2008 data. His app uses voting districts which corresponds to the year 2000 precincts. These precincts have changed over the decade, since IL law requires them to adjust to congressional and legislative boundaries after the 2001 remap, and they can split and merge to accommodate growth patterns for each election cycle.

The goal in the map was to create 3 Black and 2 Latino districts in Chicago and suburbs, wiuth detail shown in the second map. The remaining districts were designed to be reasonably compact with minimal numbers of county fragments. No voting data was applied for this version. The maximum population deviation is under 200.

Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #197 on: August 31, 2009, 07:49:36 AM »

Who does this map pair? It looks like Halvorson and Biggert, would that be accurate?

Where do Quigley and Gutierrez fall in the two earmuff successor districts?

I did some research and saw that Melissa Bean now has a Cook County district and Bill Foster is in the district to the west.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #198 on: August 31, 2009, 01:32:32 PM »

Who does this map pair? It looks like Halvorson and Biggert, would that be accurate?

Where do Quigley and Gutierrez fall in the two earmuff successor districts?

I did some research and saw that Melissa Bean now has a Cook County district and Bill Foster is in the district to the west.
I think the northern earmuff is the Puerto Rican district, and the red district by the stockyards is the Mexican district, so I'd guess Gutierrez has the northern district.   The question then does the Mexican district have enough US adult citizens to be an effective minority majority district.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #199 on: August 31, 2009, 03:18:57 PM »
« Edited: August 31, 2009, 03:31:04 PM by Verily »

Gerrymandering Maryland is extremely fun. This map should make Kratovil reasonably safe (or, rather, not really vulnerable), as his district would be at least D+1. It now includes very Democratic Annapolis proper and some very Democratic areas in MontCo. Ruppersberger probably becomes less safe, but not radically so.

Overall, the new map relies on unpacking MD-08, which is now still D+10 or so but not the ultra-Democratic bastion it was before, and taking advantage of the Democratic areas in Frederick and Washington counties that previously went unexploited. That allowed MD-03 to completely reorient, taking in large, heavily Democratic areas of MontCo to allow for more freedom to spread the Baltimore and Annapolis Democratic vote around among the other districts.

MD-07 is 50% black; MD-04 is 54% black.

The two islands in the southeast are in Kratovil's district. I didn't fill them in for the map because the program doesn't handle islands well in its rendering. Also, Maryland has the wackiest census tracts I've seen so far.

Edit: I notice Ruppersberger has been drawn out of his district. That explains why the district has the weird northern arm. Oh, well, that would be easy enough to fix by fiddling around with the MD-03/MD-02 border. Same goes for Donna Edwards, but I really only rearranged how PG County was split to make the MD-04/MD-05 border look better. MD-04 would actually be more heavily black if it included her home town and dropped College Park and environs to MD-05.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 48  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies