LA-Sen: Charlie Melancon (D) to Challenge David Vitter (R)? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:20:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  LA-Sen: Charlie Melancon (D) to Challenge David Vitter (R)? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: LA-Sen: Charlie Melancon (D) to Challenge David Vitter (R)?  (Read 11046 times)
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« on: June 04, 2009, 02:46:58 AM »

I didn't see this one coming. I know Melancon is a Blue Dog/conservative Democrat, but does he (or any Democrat anymore) stand a shot at winning a statewide office in Louisiana?

http://www.politico.com/blogs/scorecard/0509/Melancon_for_Senate.html

"Rep. Charlie Melancon, the only remaining Democratic Congressman from Louisiana, is now said to be re-considering a challenge to Sen. David Vitter (R-La.); a March poll put Melancon 7 points behind him. While I still think there's more smoke than fire here -- Vitter isn't as unpopular in Louisiana as you'd think -- he is sure to make a few entertaining gaffes on route to trying to win reelection and Melancon would have a decent chance with a well-executed campaign." - 538.com

HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 11:47:38 PM »

Louisiana has been turning away from the Democrats lately. I agree with the less-than-impressive victory that Mary Landrieu achieved over former State Treasurer John Kennedy, a Democrat who jumped ships and became a Republican simply to run against Landrieu. I think Landrieu was able to achieve her 6-point victory simply because she had better name recognition in the state - I gather that the Landrieu name is pretty popular down there, kinda like the name "Carnahan" is here. But I agree that it will be difficult for Charlie Melancon to get elected even if it is against the tainted David Vitter. Melancon may not even carry his own district - John McCain carried LA-03 with 61 percent of the vote in 2008. I would say get Lt. Gov. Mitch Landrieu (D) to run against Vitter, but the nepotism might not play so well, so I think right now that Melancon would be our best candidate.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 11:56:07 PM »

I've indirectly heard from a number of articles that claim that there's a consensus among LA political analysts that the state wouldn't elect two Landrieu's to the senate at the same time.

The Landrieu name isn't political gold, but it helps to have a Cajun last name if you're running against an Irishman (Vitter is also Cajun, for what it's worth, although that doesn't matter for more than a point or what have you).  The senate race was an oddball campaign with both sides accusing the other person of being a liberal Democrat.

Well yeah, it's Louisiana! They don't like baby-killing liberals down there in Bayou Country Tongue
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 02:17:03 AM »

Despite his fancy for diapers and hookers, isn't David Vitter still kinda popular in Louisiana? I mean, last time I consulted with the Bible, fornicating with prostitutes isn't exactly what "Christians" preach. Tongue

That being said, why is Louisiana becoming more Republican? Last statistics I saw had Louisiana as the second blackest state in the nation (only behind Mississippi), and it was one of five states in which John McCain did better than George W. Bush. Is it because of Hurricane Katrina that displaced many African Americans, or is the Bubba vote growing and just too strong for Democrats to overcome? I'm asking sincerely because my cousin recently relocated to Louisiana but lives in Slidell (wherever that is) and I'm meaning to make a road trip down there to visit her sometime, but not if they don't like "my kind" down there, and by my kind, I mean well, anything other than WASP conservative Republican straight men.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies