Summer TL: President Henry Wallace
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:36:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Summer TL: President Henry Wallace
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Author Topic: Summer TL: President Henry Wallace  (Read 69619 times)
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: July 10, 2009, 03:35:01 PM »

Lawls. Reagan the Liberal.
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -3.90

« Reply #126 on: July 10, 2009, 04:21:48 PM »

1980 Presidet
The Presidential Election of 1980 could not have started on a strange enough foot. Of course there was the awkward truce in Europe, but there had also been a hostage crisis, a stalling economy, and still very high inflation. Many political observers felt that things had not changed a great deal from four years earlier at home, but in the international scene things were as different as they could possibly be. The threat of Communism vs. Capitalism seemed to be subsiding, and the possibility of a true energy crisis seemed to be unlikely. However President Reagan had been unable to single handedly give the economy CPR, and the real question was whether or not Senator Dole would be able to knock him out over that issue.

The campaign season kicked off in a fairly standard fashion. Reagan and Dole were fairly close in the polls, though the two campaigns couldn’t have been farther apart in style and theme. Reagan was the ultimate optimist, speaking of how the world “is a far safer place than it was four years ago, when the threat of total war and economic collapse seemed imminent.” Reagan’s most infamous device was his commonly recurring stump speech, dubbed by commentators and his press team “The Morning in America Speech”. The speech itself was fairly standard, but the way Reagan delivered it made it memorable:

“My friends, today is a new morning in America. We are seeing the fruits of our labor paying off all across this great land, as we no longer are restrained by the threats of war abroad, or collapse at home. We are reminded of the days following World War Two, when the people of this great nation went to work, had families, and bought beautiful houses in suburbia. They did not complain or make a fuss over their actions. No, they simply did what they believed was their duty as Americans and made this country what it is today. Today, my fellow Americans, we must do the same. We cannot be content with the victories of the past; we must work to make even greater ones for the future. Together, with your help, we can do this. It is the next great challenge for this great nation.”

The President would then add on various endings that dealt with specific issues, what was going on in the news at the time, or talk about local issues and needs. Reagan’s optimism was a major boost in areas of the nation where for many years pessimism had been ingrained in them: areas like Appalachia and the Rust-Belt, the Gulf-Coast and the Great Plains. Many would look back and say that this was the way to run if you were an unpopular incumbent.

Dole on the other hand focused his campaign on sharp and aggressive attacks against the President. He would repeatedly state that “the failures of this administration have held America back, and have put our nation into a debt that will not likely be undone for generations.” Dole was also very critical of Reagan’s foreign policy, stating that “rather than make the world safer, the President has actually made the world a much more dangerous place by aggressively pursuing war with Russia, and then claiming to have saved us from destruction by negotiating a peace that changes little. If not for the bravery and determination of our soldiers, the world would be engulfed in the fire of total destruction. We have also seen him risk the lives of American soldiers and hostages in Iran, rather than negotiate and make clear that the Iranians would pay the price for hurting any of our great people. I believe that these decisions were not made because they were right, but because they made our President look like the brave hero among men.”

The real highlight of the election came during the Presidential debates. Here Reagan and Dole’s two conflicting styles would come head-to-head in a battle to decide who would be the next President of the United States. Dole would come out swinging, attacking the President’s “Bull-Dog Foreign Policy” and “Cowboy Diplomacy.” Reagan would stay positive, repeatedly pointing out that “my actions in the international stage have resulted in victory and peace, not the death and destruction Senator Dole seems to think.”  On domestic policy Dole would call out Reagan for “claiming to have roses when he really has just weeds.” Again Reagan would avoid the low blows by stating “the economy is turning around, we can all see that. If we abandon the policies that work we will simply see more and more and more inflation, debt, and unemployment.”

But the highlight of the debates came in a showdown between Reagan and Dole in the second debate which focused on foreign policy (the first was on domestic issues, the second on foreign policy, and the third a town-hall style debate). The following is the transcript:
Moderator: Now we turn to a controversial decision by the President. When American hostages were taken in Iran, President Reagan deployed the 101st Airborne Division to Tehran to rescue them and return them to America. Some have called this brash and dangerous, while others have defended it. Senator Dole you have been a critic of the President’s decision which you have called “dangerous and ill-conceived”. What would you have done differently?

Senator Dole: What I would have done really doesn’t matter, since I was not the President but…

President Reagan: But it does, it does mater.

Senator Dole: Excuse me Mr. President but I was not done. The point is that the President made a overly risky and poorly thought out decision in the face of the death of American hostages. He made a choice that put more lives at risk for the same end result..

President Reagan: The result would not have been the same. Americans would have died who did not die otherwise. If we had tried to negotiate they would have likely killed off many of the hostages to prove their point, because they did not want concessions, they wanted to prove a point.

Senator Dole: If they wanted to prove a point they would have just killed them all. What you did, Mr. President, was put not only their lives at risk but also the lives of US soldiers.

President Reagan: Yes, but it was successful and it saved many more lives in the process. The fact is that you have still not answered the question.

Senator Dole: The question is irrelevant because I was not President when these regrettable actions occurred.

President Reagan: But it is relevant because you do not know what you would have done because you know just as well as I do that this was the only way to ensure that the hostages would be freed, because all the Iranians had were a bunch of kids with guns and we have the greatest military on earth.

Following this the moderator would end the brawl and move on to the next question. However Dole had been caught in his own trap. While trying to portray Reagan as irresponsible he had instead made himself appear as though he was unsure of what to do and was simply swinging at the President with no real alternative. Most Americans said that they believed that the President was the clear winner of the second debate, while the town hall was a draw and Senator Dole won the domestic debate if only because the economy still stunk. But it would be the exchange over Iran that would define the debates as a whole, making Reagan the winner. However it would still be close heading into Election Day.

Reagan/Kennedy (D)-299 EVs, 51% of the PV
Dole/Thompson (R)-239 EVs, 49% of the PV

The narrow results of the election were not surprising, and neither was much of the map. The economic struggles helped Dole in the mid-west and rust-belt, but Reagan's strong foreign policy moves helped him to sure up the solid south. However the closest states were Illinois, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and California. Illinois was the only one which broke for Dole, due in large part to his pick of "Big Jim" Thompson as his Vice-Presidential nominee. California was pretty close, but Pennsylvania and Michigan were real nail-bitters as Reagan's strong support from unions pushed him over the edge and countered Dole's wide margins in rural regions.

1980 US Senate Elections
Despite Reagan's narrow victory, Republicans would gain in the Senate and House, primarily in the mid-west and in states where Dole won, such as Iowa and Washington. The margin in the Senate would still be 58-42, more than enough for Reagan to continue his economic policies that drew support from many Republicans and Democrats alike.
Republican Gains
-Alaska: Frank Murkowski
-Iowa: Chuck Grassley
-New Hampshire: Warren Rudman
-South Dakota: James Abdnor
-Washington: Slade Gorton
Democratic Gains
-Arizona: Bill Schulz
-New York: Elizabeth Holzman
-Pennsylvania: Arlen Specter
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #127 on: July 10, 2009, 04:23:32 PM »

Doomsday for the Republicans lol

But seriously I think it's fun to imagine What-If? Reagan never left parties. I like to believe that the GOP would be more like the party of George the elder.

However it's not all good for Democrats. There are a whole lot of Dixiecrats out there like Helms and Thurmond, not to mention a certain reverend who we all know and don't love!
Historico
United States

« Reply #128 on: July 10, 2009, 07:10:46 PM »

Great Installment HC,I knew old Bob Dole couldn't really stack up with Ronnie in a General Election. Can't wait to see how is second term goes...Keep it comming.
Lahbas
United States

« Reply #129 on: July 10, 2009, 10:48:58 PM »

I have just finished reading this and saw your discussion on nuclear weapons, and I would just like to make a point in that direction. In the case that the weapons were never use, they would not have the same level of importance. In fact, I doubt that even Hydrogen bombs would have been developed, staying at the Fission level. At the same time, the effects upon human beings were only being studied at Hiroshima and Nagasaki, the bombs themselves originally meant to hit the beachs, with the marines pouring in two days after, when the radiation would be at its worst. Without those detonations, the true power and danger of these weapons would never have been fully known, nor realized. The Soviet Union would not have pursued it as much as it did due to its power not being fully known, developing it somewhere by the early fifties. There would be no Nuclear Proliferation Pact, and Nuclear Technology would become largely available. Until a nuclear detonation on a major city were to occur, or there was a meltdown somewhere around the globe, there would be no fear, nor no plan to deal with, nuclear radiation. The public itself would know about it by then, but they would think of it as just another bomb, without the pictures of Hiroshima. Also, there would be no concept of "Fallout", so it would be though perfectly acceptable to detonate nukes in Central Germany. Scary, I know, but that is at least what I think the world would have looked like. Something you are going to have to deal with now is that it is very likely that a few nuclear reactors do exist in the now Islamic Republic of Iran.
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #130 on: July 14, 2009, 10:19:37 AM »

The Second Term of Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan’s victory over Bob Dole represented a mandate for the President. The American people had entrusted him to lead the nation forward and to continue with his domestic and foreign policies. In his second inauguration, the President made a promise to his citizens: “And today, my fellow Americans, I will make a promise to you. I promise that everyday that I sit in the Oval Office, I will work as hard as possible to ensure that the problems of today will not be the problems of your children. This generation will not be remembered as one that failed. It will not be viewed as one which gave up on the future. No, as long as I am the President of these United States it will be remembered as the generation that fought to make America as great as its people deserve.”

The President’s opening budget of his second term showed a commitment to the promises made in the inauguration. While increasing funding in education and health care, President Reagan also reduced spending on public works and discretionary spending. He also pushed for a tax increase on the highest earners and businesses in an attempt to curb inflation. By the end of February President Reagan’s approval rating stood at a solid 62%. Many believed that President Reagan would indeed fulfill his promise to lead the American people on to a greater future than even they had inherited.

Throughout the spring months, President Reagan embarked on a cross-country tour in support of his policies and in an attempt to rally support from voters. He would start by journeying through the south, hitting Richmond, Atlanta, Miami, and New Orleans. He would then travel to the Midwest, speaking in Cincinnati, Detroit, Chicago, and St. Louis. He would then return to his home-state of California, speaking in Los Angeles and Sacramento before going to the northeast where he would speak in Boston, New York, and Philadelphia. This was to be a massive undertaking which would draw the focus to the successes and potential successes of the President’s first term. However before he was to leave, Reagan was to deliver a speech to the national Chamber of Commerce to defend his policies. This was going to be a hostile crowd, but the President was never one to back down from a fight. Yet there was one thing that he could not account for. As he walked into the Chamber’s offices, a lone gunman emerged from the crowd, firing four shots. Two of the shots hit the President, one in the abdomen, the other in the spine. One of the other shots hit the President’s bodyguard in the arm; the other hit a bystander in the leg. Neither were lethal, although the shots that hit the President were. After being rushed to George Washington for treatment, the President would succumb to his wounds after several days of fighting for life. It was a chilling moment in American history, and for many it would forever define the Presidency of Ronald Wilson Reagan.

Following the President’s death, Vice-President Robert Kennedy was sworn in as President of the United States. Addressing the grieving nation, President Kennedy delivered a moving speech, highlighted by these words: “Yesterday we did not just loose a great President, but we lost a great man. For his wife Nancy, his children, and those close to him he will never be remembered as the man that created peace in Europe, freed the hostages, or set this country on the right economic course. They will remember him as Ronald, Ronnie, Dad. It is for these people that we must never forget the President, and we must never forget what he has done for us as a Nation. Good night friends, and God Bless you all.”

President Kennedy’s first major initiative was to continue the policies of President Reagan. Embarking on President Reagan’s planned tour, President Kennedy would deliver speech after speech in defense of President Reagan’s policies. Everywhere he went the President was greeted with cheers and overwhelmingly positive crowds that saw him not only as the standard-bearer of the fallen President’s legacy, but also the standard-bearer of his brother’s. Over time these twin duties would take their wear on the new President, but for now he was simply focused on preserving the legacy of his predecessor.

The one controversial moment of the trip actually came at the end. Many expected President Kennedy to speak at the Chamber of Commerce, as President Reagan had planned to do in the beginning. However the White House had been quite secretive in regards to where they would rap up the trip, and even when the President would speak at pre-scheduled destinations. Despite this, most believed that the President would likely go to what would be a much more sympathetic crowd at the COC. This was not to be however. Instead of speaking at the COC, President Kennedy made an appearance at the AFL-CIO’s convention. Giving a speech strongly in support of organized labor, the President made himself a powerful enemy in the Chamber, which would paint him as “public enemy #1 when it comes to economic recovery.”

President Kennedy would continue to take liberal stances throughout the rest of his first term, though he perhaps was even more hawkish than his predecessor. Supporting the Air Traffic Controllers in their strike, the President was able to help negotiate a favorable settlement for the Union. When a seat on the Supreme Court became open, the President selected career politician Mo Udall. Despite drawing criticism from Republicans who saw this as an obviously political move, Udall would be confirmed, if just narrowly. The President would also support the liberal economic policies of Reagan, leading to increased economic successes and strength. On foreign policy Kennedy would take a hard-line against Communism in Latin America, while also making sure to support humanitarian regimes. In the most extreme example, Kennedy deployed troops to Grenada to help protect the American students there. Many saw this as “Reagan-esque”, a recurring view of President Kennedy’s first term. Overall, despite the tragedy, President Kennedy’s first term in office was viewed as a good one, and one which continued the legacy of a fallen hero.

1982 Midterm Elections

With the recent death of President Reagan and the overall popularity of President Kennedy’s policies, The Democrats would make good gains both houses of Congress in 1982. In the Senate they would have a 64-36 super-majority, giving the President the ability to continue to pass liberal domestic legislation.

Democratic Gains
-California: Jerry Brown
-Connecticut: Toby Moffett
-Missouri: Harriet Woods
-New Jersey: Frank Lautenberg
-New Mexico: Jeff Bingaman
-Vermont: James Guest

Historico
United States

« Reply #131 on: July 14, 2009, 03:56:22 PM »

Great Installment HC, I wasn't expecting Ronnie to get assasinated in your timeline, Might Boby have tried to get something along OTL 25th Amendment being passed since hebasically serving out all of Reagan's term. I think an older Bobby in a less racist America than OTL 1968 would pick a Minority for Vice President. General Benjamin O' Davis Jr of DC, Congressman Andrew Young of Georgia, Governor Dixie Lee Ray of Washington, Congresman Harold Ford Sr. of Tennesse, Congresswoman Barbara Jordan of Texas, Julian Bond and Jesse Jackson of Illinois would all be good choices for a VP Pick. Can't wait to see how the '84 election turns out...Keep it comming
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #132 on: July 14, 2009, 04:31:48 PM »

Good installment. What was the date of Reagan's assassination?
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #133 on: July 14, 2009, 05:05:50 PM »

In this timeline, April 18th. He died on the 22nd.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #134 on: July 14, 2009, 06:20:04 PM »

That's really unfair : the real life conservative Reagan survives to the assassination atempt whereas the liberal one of your timeline dies ! Sad
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #135 on: July 14, 2009, 06:29:56 PM »

That's really unfair : the real life conservative Reagan survives to the assassination atempt whereas the liberal one of your timeline dies ! Sad

Yeah, this was the Reagan I could like
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #136 on: July 14, 2009, 11:14:46 PM »

In this timeline, April 18th. He died on the 22nd.

Of 1982? Thanks Smiley
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #137 on: July 15, 2009, 09:47:45 AM »

hcallega
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #138 on: July 15, 2009, 10:30:14 AM »

1984 Democratic Nomination
Riding a wave of popularity (and sympathy), President Robert Kennedy was viewed as particularly strong heading into the 1984 Presidential Election. Voters saw him as a true continuation of President Reagan, as well as a solid President in his own right whose compassion and humanity made him relatable on a level that few Presidents had ever achieved. Despite this, he was not without challengers within his own party.

Reagan’s secretary of the treasury and former Governor John Connally declared his intention to seek the Democratic nomination early in 1983, resigning from the cabinet to focus on his campaign. Connally was a conservative who helped to gain the support of southern Democrats as well as working class whites who might have been uncomfortable with some of Kennedy’s positions on issues like bussing, civil rights, and women’s rights. Connally also courted the support of business groups such as the Chamber of Commerce, an adamant opponent of Kennedy and his Keynesian economics. In fact the COC published a fairly supportive semi-endorsement of Connally: “For our members who are registered Democrats, 1984 presents a rare opportunity to challenge the prevailing notion among party leaders that tax-and-spend policies coupled with intense regulations lead to economic success. This could not be farther from the truth, and Secretary John Connally agrees with this. Both as Governor and as Secretary of the Treasury, Mr. Connally has repeatedly taken stances favorable to the growth of business and the economy, despite the opposition from his own party. Thus we encourage members of the Democratic Party to vote for Mr. Connally in their state’s Democratic Primary.”

Connally outlined his primary campaign along several key points. The major focus fell on economics, where he made clear that he would push for new tax-cuts and deregulation to grow the private sector. He also supported spending cuts on domestic programs, though not to the same degree that many Republicans did. On foreign policy Connally spoke of confronting “the Evil Empire” and continuing to push it to eventual defeat. On social issues, Connally generally took conservative positions as well, coming out against bussing and abortion. Kennedy’s campaign, by comparison, focused on the improving economy as well as improving the general welfare of Americans and fighting to end poverty. Kennedy received the support of most of the national Democratic groups, including the AFL-CIO and the Americans for Democratic Action. Connally received only the support of conservative Democratic groups and several Dixiecrat senators, though he was unable to gain the endorsements of moderate Southerners like Senator Dale Bumpers of Arkansas, Fritz Hollings of South Carolina, and Robert Byrd of West Virginia. However his fundraising from big business kept him competitive.

In the primaries, Kennedy would pick up many early victories before Connally would finally pick up victories in Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, Louisiana, and North Carolina. Due to his disappointing primary campaign, Connally would withdraw from the race and reluctantly endorse the President.

At the convention, many Democratic leaders feared that Southerners would leave the convention due to Kennedy’s liberalism. However Senator Thurmond (a prominent supporter of Connally and the leader of the Dixiecrats) promised that he would support the President “barring any unforeseen change in his views towards something more undesirable.” Thus, at the convention in San Francisco, Kennedy and the Democrats would emphasize President Reagan, the improving economy and taking on Soviet Russia. The two most memorable speeches of the convention were quiet different in nature. The first was by former First Lady Nancy Reagan, who had since become a strong supporter of gun control and tough anti-crime and anti-drug legislation. First Lady Reagan took the stage in support of President Kennedy, applauding him for his work “to not only protect those like my husband, but also the people who we often do not hear about, but also suffer the same fate.” The other speech was by Secretary of Defense Jeanne Kirkpatrick, who claimed that “we must continue the work of the former President. Communism, Marxism, and Leninism must never gain a foothold ever again in any country, among any people, in this world!” Kennedy would also deliver a generally well-received acceptance speech, and choose Tennessee Representative Harold Ford as his Vice-Presidential Nominee. Though generally viewed as a good choice, many Dixiecrats were annoyed by the choice of a black as Vice-President, but did like how he was a southerner and a political moderate.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #139 on: July 15, 2009, 11:04:16 AM »

So, still there was no way to replace V.P. and there was vacancy until term end?

Anyway, great installment. Waiting for GOP nomination Smiley
Historico
United States

« Reply #140 on: July 15, 2009, 02:40:17 PM »

Hmm a Kennedy/Ford Ticket seems pretty strong going into the General Election, despite the Connally challenge from the right of the Party. Btw HC, could we see a Primary Map for the Democrats? and also The site here has good pics of the Democratic Vice Presidential nominee... http://thadmatthews.blogspot.com/2007_09_01_archive.html .Can't wait to see what you have in store for the Republican Nomination race.
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #141 on: July 15, 2009, 05:07:10 PM »

In regards to the primary map, in this case Connally only won a few states, so I didn't think it was worth it. I meant to do one for the 1980 GOP, but somehow I screwed up.

By the way Historico, that was a weird site that you linked to!
Historico
United States

« Reply #142 on: July 15, 2009, 05:44:36 PM »

In regards to the primary map, in this case Connally only won a few states, so I didn't think it was worth it. I meant to do one for the 1980 GOP, but somehow I screwed up.

By the way Historico, that was a weird site that you linked to!

Lol, yeah, I just googled images for Harold Ford Sr. and those where the best one's that could be skewed to be involving the Vice Presidential Nominee in Action campaigning or on the stump. I didn't realize that it was a crazy blog sight lol.
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #143 on: July 16, 2009, 01:30:07 PM »

1984 Republican Nomination
Bob Dole’s defeat in 1980 did not defer the Republican Party in their quest for the White House in 1984. Conservatives and moderates alike believed that they had the answer to their party’s electoral woes. After all, they had not had a two term President since Dewey, and two of their incumbents had been defeated. However the party was still active as the opposition to Kennedy, and many believed that since he had never run for political office before, they could effectively defeat him.
Bob Dole, the 1980 Republican Nominee for President

The Republican candidates were a very similar group to the 1980 field. Both Senator Dole and George Bush ran, and quickly established themselves as the early frontrunners. Dole had the support of many conservatives who viewed his narrow defeat as a sign that he could indeed take the White House against the liberal Kennedy. However Bush quickly ran up big leads in fundraising, drawing support from the wealthy GOP establishment and businesses that saw him as a better candidate than Dole to take the Presidency back.
Bush with Dan Quayle campaigning in Indiana

However these two men were not alone in the race. Congressman Jack Kemp of New York drew support from the conservative grassroots and followers of Senator Barry Goldwater. However Kemp also drew support from moderates due to his strong support for civil rights and ending poverty. Kemp proposed “supply-side economics”, advocating flat-taxes, free trade, and deregulation to create economic growth. Delaware Governor Pierre du Pont also ran, focusing on ending welfare and social security reform. Senator Paul Laxalt of Nevada ran as a moderate and focused on foreign policy, while often referencing his friendship with the late President Reagan in an attempt to show his leadership and bipartisanship. However it often just reminded Republicans that Laxalt wasn’t the most loyal of GOP senators. RNC chairman Ben Fernandez was the last major candidate, garnering some support from party leadership, though his resignation as party chairman (due to his candidacy) hurt his name recognition.
Kemp and Dole following the first Republican debate in Iowa

Early polling showed a close two way tie between Bush and Dole, with Kemp running a strong third. However it was soon clear that the real battles for the nomination would not be in Iowa or New Hampshire, as Dole and Bush both had commanding leads there, respectively. The real race came in South Carolina (after big Dole victories in Iowa and South Dakota, and big Bush wins in New Hampshire, Maine, and Vermont). Here the major contenders went toe to toe over issues ranging from taxes to abortion to military service. The relatively small state party in South Carolina was primarily made up of businesses, suburban whites, and some urban blacks. Bush made his appeal directly to suburban voters, emphasizing his focus on low taxes and “leading America to a brighter and safer future.” Dole on the other hand targeted military voters due to his military record, speaking on issues of foreign policy. Kemp focused on running a campaign to appeal to independents and conservative Democrats not interested in the Democratic Primary. In the end, Bush would win a narrow win over Dole, with Kemp 8-points behind the Kansas Senator. Following the big win, Bush would real off victories in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, and Louisiana, with Dole winning Kentucky. From that point on, Bush was the clear frontrunner, suffering defeats only in the mid-west and west to Dole, while Kemp withdrew following the “super south” races, then endorsing Bush in an attempt to gain the Vice-Presidential nomination.

At the convention, the Republicans would unite around Bush, with Dole giving his strong support in his speech. The keynote address would be given by Barry Goldwater Jr. in support of his retiring father, who also spoke but in a much more minor role. Goldwater Jr. outlined that “today we must burry any animosity and unite around an experienced, thoughtful, and brave man who will lead our party to victory in November!” Bush would choose Representative Jack Kemp as his VP selection to form a strong GOP ticket.
[img]http://www.desmoinesregister.com/assets/jpg/1988handshake350px.jpg[/img
Kemp with Republican Presidential contenders during the Convention
Historico
United States

« Reply #144 on: July 16, 2009, 02:19:56 PM »

I really hope that Jack Kemp might win the GOP Nomination or even the presidency one day ITTL lol...But as for my endorsement of the candidates,"I choose to stay the course and vote for Kennedy/Ford in '84!!!" lol
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #145 on: July 16, 2009, 02:41:44 PM »

Kennedy/Ford in '84!!
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #146 on: July 17, 2009, 01:03:40 PM »

I think picking Ford would provide that "unforeseen change in his views towards something more undesirable" that Thurmond was talking about.....
Lahbas
United States

« Reply #147 on: July 17, 2009, 02:00:31 PM »

Bush/Kemp in 84!!
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #148 on: July 17, 2009, 04:56:44 PM »

I think picking Ford would provide that "unforeseen change in his views towards something more undesirable" that Thurmond was talking about.....

On the surface yes, but at the same time there is less racial tension in American than in OTL, so choosing a moderate southerner that happens to be black is not as big a deal as it would have been in OTL. The reality is that for Thurmond and company, choosing someone like Jesse Jackson or the like would be undesirable, but not choosing a fellow southerner and moderate.
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #149 on: July 18, 2009, 10:33:10 AM »

The Presidential Election of 1984

The showdown between Kennedy and Bush pitted two of the Northeast's most powerful political families against each other. However there was more to this race than simply clashing dynasties and large war chests. Both parties saw this as a major opportunity; for the Democrats a chance to win a third consecutive election, for the Republicans there best shot at defeating an incumbent since Winnie Rockefeller. It was sure to be a great race.

The opening polls showed a strong lead for Bobby, who was strongly supported by labor and minority groups who saw him as their strongest advocate. In deed, as President, Attorney General, and even Harvard Law Professor, Kennedy had been a strong supporter of Civil Rights, much more so than his brother. Kennedy also drew support from Hispanics, in part due to his faith and in part due to his strong support of worker's rights (he was close friends with the late Cesar Chavez).

Bush on the other hand was far more moderate, both a positive and a negative. On the one hand he appealed to a large swath of voters, especially suburban and middle class whites. But at the same time he did not receive outright strong support from conservative groups that had rallied behind Dole and previous nominees. In fact, many saw Bush as no better than Kennedy in the long run. However at least on the surface groups like the Chamber of Commerce were eager to endorse him over their arch-enemy in Kennedy.

Despite a narrow lead in the polls, Kennedy was eager to debate Bush in an attempt to broaden his appeal and perhaps put the nail in the coffin that was Bush's campaign. His lackluster support from conservative groups, combined with a generally weak campaign theme made it look as if this could be what finally knocked out the GOP insider. However the debates would actually be where Bush made a nice comeback. Focusing on the problems in the cities, especially crime, Bush effectively portrayed Kennedy as weak on this key issue to many voters, while coming off himself as the strong fatherly candidate. Yet on the economy Bush was unable to withstand Kennedy's barrage of attacks against Bush's "failed policies of the past." Kennedy also played up his connection to the late President Reagan, evoking "the patriotism of the past, which will guide us forward today and into the future." These images and attacks made the debates a draw, which actually favored Bush as many believed that his campaign would essentially be over with a bad performance.

Heading into election day, Bush would continue his barrage of attacks over crime and the plight of the cities in a desperate attempt to woo suburban whites, but for the most part it was too little too late. Americans felt comfortable and confident behind Kennedy and his leadership, while also fearing the possibility of a return to a recession.

Kennedy/Ford (D) 314 EVs, 54% of the PV
Bush/Kemp (R) 224 EVs, 45% of the PV

1984 Congressional Elections
Despite a mandate for the Democratic Party in the 1984 elections, the Democrats in the congress would gain relatively little. In the Senate, the Democrats would win in Iowa and Tennessee, but would fail to gain anywhere else. In the house they would make small gains aswell. The final Senate tally would be 66-34.

Democratic Gains
-Iowa: Tom Harkin
-Tennessee: Al Gore
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies