Will the GOP eventually bite the bullet and start nominating "moderates?" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:36:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  Will the GOP eventually bite the bullet and start nominating "moderates?" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will the GOP eventually bite the bullet and start nominating "moderates?"  (Read 13841 times)
sg0508
United States

« on: May 28, 2009, 01:37:53 PM »

As a moderate that still remains committed to our party (the party that Lincoln and Barry G created), I am still hopeful that eventually, the party will move back to the middle socially and become more fiscally conservative.

You take a look at what Chuck Schumer (my Senator who I happen to like) has done in the House/Senate and it's very smart.  Democrats have made serious inroads into reddish states by nominating moderate to even some conservative congressmen, senators and Governors and most of them, seem to be doing well. 

Freudenthal, Henry, Sebelius, Napolitano, and Bredesen have all stayed very popular throughout their two terms.  We've done okay too with Douglas of VT, Pataki of NY (3 terms), Carcieri of RI and Rell of CT. 

In the house and Senate though, we've gotten murdered.  We're almost unelectable now in our own VA, CO has been a nightmare since 2002, MT we've lost ground on a local level, and other bluish states that we should have a chance at holding or picking up (WA, OR, WI, MN, MI, PA, NH, ME and NJ) it's like we're just clueless.

I don't know if it's George Bush, us putting up horrid candidates, being too conservative or what, but we're not even competitive anymore in any of these and it's embarrassing.  Maybe it's finally time to realize that the middle vote matters and that the pro choicers are important to our party's breadth and survival?
sg0508
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 01:49:22 PM »

We couldn't even hold IN or NC on a national level this past election.  IN?  We should NEVER lose there in a presidential race.  I know Evan is popular and that I understand, but that was embarrassing.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 02:22:12 PM »

Because we used to be the socially moderate party and that's the basis why we were so successful for years on a national level (outside of the 60s when we just got killed in Congress). 

Barry stated before his death that the party went way too far right and that was back in 98.  I think he's rolling in his grave now considering where we are.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 05:33:29 PM »

What is Simmons running for?  He got knocked out in 06 and Shays lost in 08.  At least Rell will get re-elected. 

It's a shame Castle from DE never runs for a Senate seat. 

The problem is, the ones in our party that keep losing are us RINOs.  Smith loses, Sununu loses, Chafee loses, Simmons loses, Shays loses, our 2 Rinos from NH lose (forget their names), and Hagel was forced to retirement. 

Meanwhile, idiots like DeMint are untouchable.  Guys like that are the definition of what's wrong with the party than right.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 12:53:04 PM »

The fact that a lot of people on here can't equate the major drop in polling from Sept on starting with Lehman and the economy is remarkable.  McCain did about as well as possible.

If we had nominated someone from the far far right, Obama easily breaks 400 EVs.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 10:23:55 PM »

By the way, Romney didn't really come close to Kennedy in 94.  It was 59-41%, which is a decent showing, but not really that close.

The party may not want to admit it, but it cannot win on a nat. level or in bluish states without the pro-choice/pro gay rights moderates like myself.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 10:42:47 PM »

Now, the fact that he broke 40% in a nat. race (Pres/Senatorial) in MA and against Kennedy?  That's impressive.  I will say that.

The GOP's best shot though at a Senate seat in my lifetime in MA was Bill Weld vs Kerry.  Weld had him on the ropes in the summer of 96, until the debates saved Kerry bigtime in the fall.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies