What to do with ghettos? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:16:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What to do with ghettos? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What to do with ghettos?  (Read 2950 times)
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« on: May 26, 2009, 10:19:53 PM »

I don't know; it's really not my business.  I wouldn't live there myself, but to each his own.

Actually it is your problem Van.  While you may think, my life is good, why I should I care what happens in the ghetto, the truth is that what happens in our community to other people affects us in ways we often may not be able to anticipate.

I often hear from right-wingers that the government shouldn't interfere (and therefore tax them to pay for its programs) to solve problems such as poverty, but what they don't realize is that if the government doesn't interfere, those poor can become a problem to the rest.  Why do you think crime rates are so high in underprivileged communities?

Another example of this is healthcare.  Right-wingers don't want healthcare for all as long as they can afford their medical bills, but if people around you get sick and have no medical treatment, you will get sick too.  

Sometimes I think that the only solutions for those who believe that we shouldn't do anything to solve the problems our society has is to lock themselves in a castle, build a wall around it and not interact with anyone in order to avoid the consequences of their inaction.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 10:28:04 AM »

While it is true that college isn't for everyone, getting an education should be more about becoming a better and more informed person, not about finding a job.  And that's why I think education at all levels should be free.  Not really relevant to the discussion, but I just thought I'd mention it.  The problem of poverty is always more evident in societies where the big fish eats the little fish and no one gives a damn
Recidivism is always going to be high, there is a reason these people went to crime in the first place and most of the time those reasons only get bigger/stronger while they are in prison.

Sadly I don't see a practical solution either.  There are some things we can do though.  Change how we fight or stop the war on drugs.  Keep telling black dudes that getting a girl pregnant and then taking off is one of the worst things a person can do.  Change the public school system...get some kids into vocational training earlier (if they want it).

I see you avoided Sociology.  Good man.

But, but we've been fighting the war on drugs for over forty years now.  Victory will come any day now.  Seriously, regulate weed the same way Nevada does.  I'm on the fence over harder drugs. 

The biggest problem I have public education is telling every kid that they have to go to college.  There are good jobs out there that don't require college degrees.

can't we turn them into shantytowns somehow?

Go for it.  I do love the word "shanty".  I did enjoy Slumdog Millionaire.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 08:17:45 PM »

I think my question may have been misinterpreted. I wasn't so much asking what to do about poverty, though that is a tricky question too. I'm talking about neighborhoods more than people. I don't get the impression that a lot of people live in the areas I'm talking about, with so many properties apparantly abandoned. My county hasn't really grown since 2000, but there's been plenty of new development in desirable areas. The nasty parts of town have been hollowed out. It just seems really inefficient and undesirable.

that has actually been a big problem in many inner cities in the last few decades when everyone moved to the suburbs.  there are actually a lot of things that can be done to clean up the ugliest parts of town.  the change can be either a result of a governmental effort or a citizen's initiative.  downtown stamford, ct was a dump, until the university and several corporations arrived and made it a far more attractive area.  same with times square in nyc when we got rid of the pimps and the drugdealers.  in london tube stations were built in the ugliest parts of town in order to make it easier for young professionals that worked in the city to move there.  what's actually interesting is that in recent decades people have been moving back to the cities (from the suburbs), either because they want to be closer to work and traffic makes it impossible to get there on time from the suburbs or because life in the city is more exciting.  i can tell you for example that many areas here in queens or brooklyn changed for the better when manhattan become too expensive for young professionals and college students and they moved here.  those people are revitalizing cities, bringing new ideas and participating in community activities that aim at improving their lives.  there's a lot that can be done and there's a lot that should be done.  but if no one tries, nothing will happen. 
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 11:41:47 PM »

But, hey, cookouts.  It's a wonder people aren't flocking to Detroit.

They should.  Houses were selling for a dollar a few months ago.  They could at least flip them when the housing market completely recovers.

LOL@ the idea that Detroit will recover. South and North Memphis are a lot lke this. There is exactly 0% chance that these areas will ever be desirable. Nobody is even considering gentrifying these hell holes.

That's the problem.  Unfortunately unless someone makes an effort to make these areas more attractive, nothing will change.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies