What to do with ghettos?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:53:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What to do with ghettos?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What to do with ghettos?  (Read 2945 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 26, 2009, 09:07:25 PM »

I had the day off today. Out of boredom, driving around town. It's really breathtaking how rundown and abandoned sections of town are. Miles of boarded up houses and even whole apartment complexes left to rot. Grassy lots feet overgown. Little legitimate business in sight.
What productive actions can be taken to correct this? It's really disturbing that people live like that. It's even more disturbing that people don't even think about it.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 09:29:28 PM »

I had the day off today. Out of boredom, driving around town. It's really breathtaking how rundown and abandoned sections of town are. Miles of boarded up houses and even whole apartment complexes left to rot. Grassy lots feet overgown. Little legitimate business in sight.
What productive actions can be taken to correct this? It's really disturbing that people live like that. It's even more disturbing that people don't even think about it.

I agree. I really enjoy driving around ghettos, too, as its instructive to see how the other half lives.

Though I recommend treating red lights as merely a suggestion. Smiley
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 09:34:44 PM »
« Edited: May 26, 2009, 09:37:16 PM by memphis »

I agree. I really enjoy driving around ghettos, too, as its instructive to see how the other half lives.

I wouldn't say I enjoyed it, though I guess one could say that it was interesting in the same macabre way that it's hard not to gawk at a nasty accident. I really wanted to post some photos to give people a sense of what I'm talking about, but I'm not about to go around the slums snapping photos and I really couldn't find any online, which struck me as strange b/c usually I can find photos of anything (no matter how obscure) online.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 09:37:43 PM »

You know what's funny? The part of Minneapolis that looks most like my hometown (I mean Bismarck, not the Reservation) IS the "ghetto". And the part that I live in most resembles where I went to college. Haha.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 10:19:19 PM »

I wouldn't say I enjoyed it, though I guess one could say that it was interesting in the same macabre way that it's hard not to gawk at a nasty accident. I really wanted to post some photos to give people a sense of what I'm talking about, but I'm not about to go around the slums snapping photos and I really couldn't find any online, which struck me as strange b/c usually I can find photos of anything (no matter how obscure) online.

Well yeah, true, enjoyable in a macabre way is the best way to explain it. It's definitely sad to see such living conditions in a first world country.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 10:19:53 PM »

I don't know; it's really not my business.  I wouldn't live there myself, but to each his own.

Actually it is your problem Van.  While you may think, my life is good, why I should I care what happens in the ghetto, the truth is that what happens in our community to other people affects us in ways we often may not be able to anticipate.

I often hear from right-wingers that the government shouldn't interfere (and therefore tax them to pay for its programs) to solve problems such as poverty, but what they don't realize is that if the government doesn't interfere, those poor can become a problem to the rest.  Why do you think crime rates are so high in underprivileged communities?

Another example of this is healthcare.  Right-wingers don't want healthcare for all as long as they can afford their medical bills, but if people around you get sick and have no medical treatment, you will get sick too.  

Sometimes I think that the only solutions for those who believe that we shouldn't do anything to solve the problems our society has is to lock themselves in a castle, build a wall around it and not interact with anyone in order to avoid the consequences of their inaction.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 10:28:05 PM »

Ghettos are fascinating to drive through.  I've driven through the ones in Texas (Houston, Dallas), but also most of the big ones in the East Coast (DC, Baltimore (where I lived for a while), Philly, Trenton, Newark).  Not NYC however.

However, ghettos are not anything new - they've been that way for the last 30-40 years.  Why the sudden fascination?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 10:56:32 PM »

However, ghettos are not anything new - they've been that way for the last 30-40 years.  Why the sudden fascination?

30-40 years? You can't be serious.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_The_Other_Half_Lives
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 11:14:33 PM »

30-40 years? You can't be serious.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_The_Other_Half_Lives

I was referring to the present-day inhabitants and condition of ghettos, not the fact that ghettos have existed for quite a while.  So your point is quite fair, even though that's not exactly what I was talking about.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 11:22:53 PM »

What to do with ghettos?
Fire
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 12:55:08 AM »

Yes, what to do with people within those ghettos.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 01:41:07 AM »

They usually start the fires don't they?

And I thought cities were spreading them throughout the town instead of piling them on top of each other.  Gives them a nice, steady level of crime throughout the city instead of focusing it on one small part.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 02:13:52 AM »

They usually start the fires don't they?

And I thought cities were spreading them throughout the town instead of piling them on top of each other.  Gives them a nice, steady level of crime throughout the city instead of focusing it on one small part.

Help them to quit ghettos by themselves.
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009, 02:27:31 AM »

I often hear from right-wingers that the government shouldn't interfere (and therefore tax them to pay for its programs) to solve problems such as poverty, but what they don't realize is that if the government doesn't interfere, those poor can become a problem to the rest.  Why do you think crime rates are so high in underprivileged communities?

Part of the reason is that criminals are often released from prison back into areas that are crime-ridden.  But, at the same time, what do you expect them to do?  Release criminals into affluent neighborhoods?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 02:29:53 AM »

I don't think they release criminals to a location.  The criminals are released and they go home...."home" for criminals is almost always in poor areas.
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2009, 02:33:43 AM »

Halfway houses?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2009, 02:49:45 AM »

Aye...forgot about them.  They are nearly always in or near the sh**t part of town.  Several reasons for that I'm sure....cheaper to buy, neighbors have less money to fight putting it there in the first place, closer to manual labor type jobs.
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2009, 02:58:22 AM »

Aye...forgot about them.  They are nearly always in or near the sh**t part of town.  Several reasons for that I'm sure....cheaper to buy, neighbors have less money to fight putting it there in the first place, closer to manual labor type jobs.

Right, but if you talk to any Sociologist (and I had to, as it was one of my minors), this leads to a greater amount of recidivism than if they were released into halfway houses that were constructed in wealthy neighborhoods.

My problem with this, and why I bolded part of the earlier quote, is I don't see a practical solution to this.  And doing what Sociologists want would escalate class warfare...literally.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2009, 03:06:57 AM »

Recidivism is always going to be high, there is a reason these people went to crime in the first place and most of the time those reasons only get bigger/stronger while they are in prison.

Sadly I don't see a practical solution either.  There are some things we can do though.  Change how we fight or stop the war on drugs.  Keep telling black dudes that getting a girl pregnant and then taking off is one of the worst things a person can do.  Change the public school system...get some kids into vocational training earlier (if they want it).
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2009, 03:08:54 AM »

can't we turn them into shantytowns somehow?

Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2009, 03:29:01 AM »

Recidivism is always going to be high, there is a reason these people went to crime in the first place and most of the time those reasons only get bigger/stronger while they are in prison.

Sadly I don't see a practical solution either.  There are some things we can do though.  Change how we fight or stop the war on drugs.  Keep telling black dudes that getting a girl pregnant and then taking off is one of the worst things a person can do.  Change the public school system...get some kids into vocational training earlier (if they want it).

I see you avoided Sociology.  Good man.

But, but we've been fighting the war on drugs for over forty years now.  Victory will come any day now.  Seriously, regulate weed the same way Nevada does.  I'm on the fence over harder drugs. 

The biggest problem I have public education is telling every kid that they have to go to college.  There are good jobs out there that don't require college degrees.

Go for it.  I do love the word "shanty".  I did enjoy Slumdog Millionaire.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2009, 05:33:01 AM »

What productive actions can be taken to correct this?

What do you mean 'correct this'?  It is exactly as it is intended to be, memphis.  The ghettos are the necessary mirror image and economic basis for the posh neighborhoods. 

You appear to be unfamiliar with the society in which you live.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2009, 07:30:56 AM »

opebo, thank you for always being here to educate us on the various social classes in the US.  We should all be thankfull we have such an expert on our message board.  Always willing to drop into any thread about the poor to tell us they have no chance at all to move up in life, how 80% (or was it 90?) of us are in this group and the top 10-20% (of which opebo is part) knowingly keep their collective boot on the throat of the masses.  We're too brainwashed here to see it though, only opebo has managed to remove the rose colored (coloured) glasses and has seen America for what she actually is.

Thank you again sir.

(pimplyfaced teenager indeed) Wink
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2009, 10:28:04 AM »

While it is true that college isn't for everyone, getting an education should be more about becoming a better and more informed person, not about finding a job.  And that's why I think education at all levels should be free.  Not really relevant to the discussion, but I just thought I'd mention it.  The problem of poverty is always more evident in societies where the big fish eats the little fish and no one gives a damn

I see you avoided Sociology.  Good man.

But, but we've been fighting the war on drugs for over forty years now.  Victory will come any day now.  Seriously, regulate weed the same way Nevada does.  I'm on the fence over harder drugs. 

The biggest problem I have public education is telling every kid that they have to go to college.  There are good jobs out there that don't require college degrees.

Go for it.  I do love the word "shanty".  I did enjoy Slumdog Millionaire.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2009, 10:42:26 AM »

I don't think anything could be done unless we address the problems that lead to a continuation of ghettos.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies