'16 Democratic possibility
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:29:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  '16 Democratic possibility
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: '16 Democratic possibility  (Read 738 times)
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 29, 2009, 12:26:23 PM »

How do you all feel about Gov. Jennifer Granholm as a possible presidential candidate in 2016?
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 12:29:44 PM »

LOL
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 12:37:38 PM »

And if Sarah Palin is the Republican nominee then we can have Perez Hilton moderate their debate.

Oh, and in case you didn't know she is ineligible (born in Canada).
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 12:40:39 PM »

Right, I had not known until now that she was born in Canada.  My bad.

Still, anyone who has listened to Granholm knows damed well she is light years sharper than Palin.

anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 12:54:18 PM »

But, on this note, isn't it about time we rescinded the requirement that the President be an American-born citizen?  Does this restriction make sense anymore?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 12:56:33 PM »

But, on this note, isn't it about time we rescinded the requirement that the President be an American-born citizen?  Does this restriction make sense anymore?
So then a terrorist can easily get in here and rule our country? I doubt that happens anytime soon.
But anyways, Granholm hasn't done a great job as Governor. Michigan still has one of the worst economy's of all 50 states, which isn't too good.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 01:01:54 PM »

So then a terrorist can easily get in here and rule our country?

You must think quite low of the American voter if you think that they'll elect a terrorist.

Also apparently you aren't familiar with homegrown terrorists such as McVeigh or Kaczynski.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 01:02:29 PM »

Granholm has done a lot regarding the budget deficets in Michigan and has also tried to promote the diversification of its economy.  The fact that she can't single-handedly hold off the effects of a national recession for her state is not necessarily a good standard, since, if it was, almost every governor would be disqualified from consideration.  

Where do you get the idea that allowing foreign-born citizens to run for office would result in a terrorist getting elected?  They are already allowed to run for state-wide office and even for the U.S. Senate.  The election process in the U.S. two years long and involves incredible public vetting of every aspect of a candidate's life.  Do you think the American people don't have the ability to prevent an anti-American terrorist from getting elected to the presidency?  
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 01:53:12 PM »

You must think quite low of the American voter if you think that they'll elect a terrorist.

Also apparently you aren't familiar with homegrown terrorists such as McVeigh or Kaczynski.
The terrorist isn't dumb enough to come out and say "I'm a terrorist". No one will know he is a terrorist, so American's wouldn't be "stupid" for voting for him.

I realize that there are terrorists here in America. And there are a lot more out in the world.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 01:57:15 PM »

The terrorist isn't dumb enough to come out and say "I'm a terrorist". No one will know he is a terrorist, so American's wouldn't be "stupid" for voting for him.

I realize that there are terrorists here in America. And there are a lot more out in the world.

So what prevents a terrorist from being elected under the current rules?

I'm sorry but the argument that we shouldn't allow foreign born people to be elected president because they may be an outside invader/terrorist/whatever carries no weight and is logically unsound.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 01:58:38 PM »

So what prevents a terrorist from being elected under the current rules?

I'm sorry but the argument that we shouldn't allow foreign born people to be elected president because they may be an outside invader/terrorist/whatever carries no weight and is logically unsound.
Nothing. But allowing anyone from any country to run for President greatly increases the chances, and that's a risk we shouldn't take.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 02:07:03 PM »

Terrorists can't do much by themselves; they generally need help and cooperation from others to carry out their plans.  Even if a candidate didn't come out and say they were a terrorist, they need to have connections that enable them to carry out their plans.  The American people are not the only ones who vet presidential candidates; so do the FBI, CIA and NSA.  There are far, far more safegaurds in our time than there were in the nineteenth century to thoroughly check out a candidate's background and intentions.  To say that none of this could prevent a candidate with severely ill intentions toward the United States from getting into office is to distrust practically every federal institution in the United States responsible for investigation and security as well as to distrust that 130 million American voters can't pick a diabolically bad lemon out of a lineup.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies