Vepres Ends His Senatorial Bid
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2024, 09:20:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Vepres Ends His Senatorial Bid
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Vepres Ends His Senatorial Bid  (Read 4555 times)
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: June 04, 2009, 09:29:38 AM »
« edited: June 04, 2009, 09:44:30 AM by Vepres »

My friends, there are some in the senate who don't pay attention to their constituents. There are some who treat like an exclusive club, where they and they alone make all the decisions. But not me, I will be your senator. The Midwest has gone for too long without a representative leader who doesn't listen to the concerns and ideas of his constituents. Not only does this make the senator lose touch with the public, but it also decreases activity and participation amongst the non-senators in Atlasia.

Thank you for not attacking me! You didn't use my name this time but you still did it! But don't worry, I'm still not going to attack you over an online game that's for fun.

I was making a broad statement about all senators.

Besides, shouldn't there be a little attacking in an election simulator.

I wasn't attacking you for the sake of attacking you, I was trying to illustrate how I would be better. Besides, this attack is an attack on the issues (senators talking to their constituents became an issue in either the ATLAS thread or one of the special election campaign threads).

I apologize, I realize I agreed not to attack you. I got carried away, you know, I got in the zone while writing that. It's hard to not make the race a referendum on the incumbent when you're challenging one. But no excuses, I was over the line a broke a promise, I apologize and will not break that promise again.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #76 on: June 04, 2009, 09:59:15 AM »

Vepres addresses a press conference in Cheyenne, Optimism...

Today I would like to address my attacking of Senator MaserJedi. About a week ago, I promised the Senator that I would not attack him, but just yesterday I did again. I realize now that I would never endorse that among other candidates, so once again I apologize to Senator MasterJedi.

I realize that I'm having trouble controlling my inner political animal, so to speak. Which is why I will promise you, the people of the Midwest, that if I ever overtly attack our Senator as I have in the past, I will withdraw from the race.

Keep in mind, I'm still in this, and I believe I would be the better choice, but I will keep my promise to the Senator, or leave the race.

Thank you.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #77 on: June 04, 2009, 03:13:06 PM »

Campaign Update

I am now conducting a public poll to assess my support in the Midwestern senate race. If my support is too low, I will drop out. I'm trying to see if I have a shot, or if I'm just an overeager newbie.

I'm also conducting a poll of Midwesterners through PM, I will post my results tomorrow.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #78 on: June 04, 2009, 03:44:51 PM »

Vepres gives a speech in Pueblo, Denial...

My friends, based on both public and internal polling, I realize that I have almost not support. I have come to realize that I only entered and stayed in the race for my own personal ambition. I realize now that that was wrong, and I have complete respect for MasterJedi, and should not have challenged him when we agreed on so many issues.

During the campaign I was negative and harsh towards MasterJedi, and I sincerely apologize for all my remarks.

Which is why, as of 4:43 pm forum time, I will end my campaign for the Midwest senate seat, and enthusiastically endorse senator MasterJedi.

In truth, we need active newbies here in Atlasia, but I went too far, and I apologize for my futile and selfish attempts too win this senate seat.

Thank you.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #79 on: June 04, 2009, 03:48:15 PM »

I notice that you're actually leading in the polls as  far as midwesterners go.

Maybe that's why this speech was held in a State of Denial.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #80 on: June 04, 2009, 03:49:30 PM »

You're a good person, Vepres. I hope, when you build up more experience, you run for public office again. You'd do a fine job serving the people of Atlasia. Smiley
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #81 on: June 04, 2009, 03:50:59 PM »

I notice that you're actually leading in the polls as  far as midwesterners go.

Maybe that's why this speech was held in a State of Denial.

My internal PM polls showed me losing by a significant margin.

The only reason I entered and stayed in this race was because I lived in a state of denial. Grin
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #82 on: June 04, 2009, 03:58:06 PM »

wait! why leave? finish what you started. to me that would be more honorable.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #83 on: June 04, 2009, 04:00:37 PM »

Because I realize now that I only entered the race for selfish reasons, and that I agree with MasterJedi on many issues. Plus, I had no support. I would be lucky to get more than a handful of votes.
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #84 on: June 04, 2009, 04:02:37 PM »

Because I realize now that I only entered the race for selfish reasons, and that I agree with MasterJedi on many issues. Plus, I had no support. I would be lucky to get more than a handful of votes.
so what. this is just a game. just finish what you started. I hate people who quit.
*chants: Finish it!!!*
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #85 on: June 04, 2009, 04:39:49 PM »

Well in all fairness his campaign started in a state of Denial then ventured to a state of confusion so his chances were never good anyway.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #86 on: June 04, 2009, 09:39:17 PM »

I actually respect you for your withdrawal. To me, the sudden surge of new members running for particularly high offices is harmful to the game. We saw the consequences of that with last night's incident. The best course is for new members to learn the ropes, interact with respected members, and work their way up. Dan and Persepolis have both done this and so the Mideast Senate race will be a respectable battle.

I urge you and all the new members rapidly joining to get involved and stay so, but start lower. Look to your regional governments. Perhaps move to amend your constitutions to versions similar to that of the Mideast, one with a legislature. Then join the legislature, get some experience and, only after you are comfortable with the game, run for Senate or President. Otherwise, you run the risk of jumping the gun and accidentally coming into conflicts that are more than you can handle.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #87 on: June 04, 2009, 10:49:02 PM »
« Edited: June 04, 2009, 10:54:28 PM by Vepres »

I actually respect you for your withdrawal.

I dropped out because after last nights' incident and after talking to Tmthforu94 and (indirectly) hearing the opinions of a few more respected Atlasians (this was passed to me by another member, so I don't know who they were) I decided I was running for selfish reasons and not adding to the game really.

To me, the sudden surge of new members running for particularly high offices is harmful to the game. We saw the consequences of that with last night's incident. The best course is for new members to learn the ropes, interact with respected members, and work their way up. Dan and Persepolis have both done this and so the Mideast Senate race will be a respectable battle.

Well, on the positive side it shows that active newbies exist. Perhaps amend the constitution so that you can only run for a national office (senator, president, Vp) after you have voted in at least one national election.

Yes, I'm looking forward to seeing Dan and Persepolis' race heat up.

I'm not justifying my or any other newbies' decision to run, but I can explain why. Let's face it, outside of the Mideast, the regions are dead and none have legislatures. The problem is worsened by the fact that many newbies lurked around this board before joining (at least in my case) and were eager to join.

I urge you and all the new members rapidly joining to get involved and stay so, but start lower. Look to your regional governments. Perhaps move to amend your constitutions to versions similar to that of the Mideast, one with a legislature. Then join the legislature, get some experience and, only after you are comfortable with the game, run for Senate or President. Otherwise, you run the risk of jumping the gun and accidentally coming into conflicts that are more than you can handle.

Yes, I have been interested in reforming the Midwest legislative system to include a legislature. Not only so I could hold office, but so activity in our region will increase.

The hard thing for newbies outside of the Mideast is that the only office that isn't considered a "high" office is lieutenant governor.
Fine...I Made This More Civil
persepolis

« Reply #88 on: June 04, 2009, 11:12:23 PM »

I'm very sorry to hear your campaign has come to an end. I suggest  staying active on a regional level, like Purple State said, to get your feet wet.

Is the race between Dan and I really under the spotlight? I thought we were just two inexperienced politicians fighting for an open seat. Hurrah!
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #89 on: June 04, 2009, 11:14:30 PM »

I'm very sorry to hear your campaign has come to an end. I suggest  staying active on a regional level, like Purple State said, to get your feet wet.

Is the race between Dan and I really under the spotlight? I thought we were just two inexperienced politicians fighting for an open seat. Hurrah!

Well, it's one of only two contested senate races (the other being the Northeast's).
persepolis

« Reply #90 on: June 04, 2009, 11:17:26 PM »

Well, it's one of only two contested senate races (the other being the Northeast's).

That means the Mideast does have the most interesting race now that you dropped out.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #91 on: June 04, 2009, 11:19:43 PM »

That means the Mideast does have the most interesting race now that you dropped out.

Was the Midwest's ever interesting beyond an unknown newb in way over his head?
persepolis

« Reply #92 on: June 04, 2009, 11:21:05 PM »

Don't be so hard on yourself. Better luck next time kid.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #93 on: June 04, 2009, 11:23:44 PM »

Yeah, I was just eager because I had been lurking around here for at least two weeks before I joined, so I really wanted to become involved. I should see what I can do as a citizen.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #94 on: June 04, 2009, 11:28:25 PM »

Yeah, I was just eager because I had been lurking around here for at least two weeks before I joined, so I really wanted to become involved. I should see what I can do as a citizen.

Oh, the excitement, it never ends Tongue
the artist formerly known as catmusic
catmusic
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.16, S: -7.91

P
« Reply #95 on: June 05, 2009, 12:37:32 AM »

I am sorry to see you leave.

In memory of Vepres. You will be missed.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #96 on: June 05, 2009, 01:21:22 AM »

He doesn't leave. He will be still there, but as a citizen like anyone.
the artist formerly known as catmusic
catmusic
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.16, S: -7.91

P
« Reply #97 on: June 05, 2009, 09:56:34 AM »

He doesn't leave. He will be still there, but as a citizen like anyone.

I mean leaving the race.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies