Would you support Israel if it fell under a non-democratic government?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 12:30:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Would you support Israel if it fell under a non-democratic government?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Would you support Israel if it fell under a non-democratic government?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: Would you support Israel if it fell under a non-democratic government?  (Read 3820 times)
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2009, 06:26:11 AM »

Just that:

Explain to me how this blind nationalism is any different from the Front Nationale in France or Slovak National Party or any of those other loony fascist parties in Europe the world. Replace "Israel" with the name of that country and you could easily have one of their slogans.

Thank you.
Governor PiT
Robert Stark
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -0.87

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2009, 10:39:48 PM »

As much as I'd like to think the answer is no, the honest answer is that I would support Israel as long as they remain a Jewish State.

Ben, you are such a hypocrite. How is that any differant than calling for America to be a white state?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2009, 10:42:13 PM »

As much as I'd like to think the answer is no, the honest answer is that I would support Israel as long as they remain a Jewish State.

Ben, you are such a hypocrite. How is that any differant than calling for America to be a white state?

I'm not calling for Israel to become a Jewish State, even though it already is.  I'm not saying Israel should remove all non-Jews, either.  I'm saying that as long as Israel remained a Jewish State, I would support it.

Oh, and welcome back Tongue
Governor PiT
Robert Stark
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -0.87

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2009, 11:13:41 PM »

I'm not calling for Israel to become a Jewish State, even though it already is.  I'm not saying Israel should remove all non-Jews, either.  I'm saying that as long as Israel remained a Jewish State, I would support it.

Do you support the status quo, a two state solution, a one state solution, or ethnic cleansing as the far right supports in Israel?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2009, 11:23:12 PM »

Do you support the status quo, a two state solution, a one state solution, or ethnic cleansing as the far right supports in Israel?

Only the most extreme radicals would support ethnic cleansing; not even Bibi or Lieberman supports that.  I, of course, do not.  The status quo is not a good position, and cannot be maintained.  I support a two state solution, with an undivided Jerusalem as the Capital City of Israel.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2009, 11:25:07 PM »

So in other words if Israel launched preemptive wars of aggression against its neighbors and carried out ethnic cleansing, you would still support it
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2009, 11:31:48 PM »

So in other words if Israel launched preemptive wars of aggression against its neighbors and carried out ethnic cleansing, you would still support it

If Israel launched a war against Iran, I'd probably support it.  I would not support unnecessary wars of aggression, and I would never support ethnic cleansing.

Of course, if Israel ever did do that, then it would cease to be a Jewish State.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2009, 11:35:57 PM »

If Israel launched a war against Iran, I'd probably support it.  I would not support unnecessary wars of aggression,

Contradictory statements.

and I would never support ethnic cleansing.

Of course, if Israel ever did do that, then it would cease to be a Jewish State.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2009, 11:46:55 PM »

If Israel launched a war against Iran, I'd probably support it.  I would not support unnecessary wars of aggression,

Contradictory statements.

and I would never support ethnic cleansing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman

Perhaps so.  In any case, I do not support ethnic cleansing, and would not support Israel if it tried to do so.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2009, 04:57:13 AM »

Like the Arabs attempted in '48, '67 and '73?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2009, 12:55:13 PM »

Like the Arabs attempted in '48, '67 and '73?

Uh, what's your point? Because of something that happened well over 30 years ago it would be OK for Israel to launch a pre-emptive attack and ethnicly cleanse its Arab citizens?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2009, 01:59:10 PM »

No, not at all.  I'm saying that I agree with you.  It would be very hard to support someone if they launched a preemptive war of aggression with the goal of carrying out genocide....like the Arabs did in '48 and '73.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2009, 02:00:29 PM »

And who here has been supporting the Arab countries in those years? DWTL maybe, anyone else?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2009, 02:05:14 PM »

After a group attempts genocide, how long does a person have to wait before they can start supporting them?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2009, 02:15:17 PM »

And who is now? You're really just babbling. Funny considerin just how anti-Libertarian human trash like Netanyahu and Avigdor Lieberman are.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2009, 03:31:11 PM »

Yea really dead0man, there is no good side in this fight.

The arab side are terrorists who are willing to blow up innocent people and keep their people in extreme poverty because they can't move on from something that happened 60 years ago. And the Zionists are just a bunch of land grabbers who ignored arab titles of property to land and just took it all to give to Jewish immigrants. I don't see how a libertarian can support either.

I agree of course that Israel shouldn't be disbanded now, even though it should never have been established. The only solution is to either abolish the Palestinian Authority and give Israeli citizenship to every Palestinian, or to split Israel/Palestine into 1000+ city states with a free trade zone between them. 
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2009, 04:19:31 PM »

I don't support Israel now, so it's style of government is largely irrelevant.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2009, 01:08:53 PM »
« Edited: June 01, 2009, 01:11:35 PM by This Is Me Hating You »

Yea really dead0man, there is no good side in this fight.

The arab side are terrorists who are willing to blow up innocent people and keep their people in extreme poverty because they can't move on from something that happened 60 years ago. And the Zionists are just a bunch of land grabbers who ignored arab titles of property to land and just took it all to give to Jewish immigrants. I don't see how a libertarian can support either.

Great post that I wholly agree with.

The worst thing is that dead0man even seems to be arguing against Israeli Arabs, who would be the people ethnically cleansed. Of which pretty close to all are not terrorists or terrorist supporters, and who the terrorists consider collaborators and aren't any kinder toward than Jews.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2009, 11:26:00 PM »

My point was against people that support the Arabs* today.  It wasn't against the Israeli Arabs and it wasn't for Israel.  BRTD asked Ben if he'd still support Israel if they launched a preemptive strike against the Arabs and I mentioned that the Arabs had done that exact same thing twice already, yet people still support them...are they horrible people like Ben would be if he supported Israel after they attempted genocide?

(or I'm just digging a deeper hole)

*not ALL Arabs, just the violently anti-Zionist.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2009, 11:34:06 PM »

What "people" support the Arab countries in question? A few ignorant idiots on the internet, not including anyone who posted in this thread (As DWTL has not) and a few countries for geopolitical reasons? Kind of a red herring.

As to the question how long after attempting genocide does a country become "OK", Germany and Japan were US allies by the end of the 40s.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2009, 11:43:49 PM »

What "people" support the Arab countries in question? A few ignorant idiots on the internet, not including anyone who posted in this thread (As DWTL has not) and a few countries for geopolitical reasons? Kind of a red herring.
Aye, you are probably correct.  I may have been arguing with myself there.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Good point.  (although we had good excuses for both...the Germans look like us and we needed both to fight the commies...it's worked out pretty well for everybody...that takes nothing away from your still very good point though)
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2009, 04:12:21 PM »

Probably the best point is that the governments of both countries were hardly the same as the ones that committed genocide.

However if you look at the Arab countries, its similar. Jordan and Egypt never had a real regime change, but have made peace with Israel and still recognize it now. Iraq obviously isn't under the same government. Lebanon isn't either, and never played a big role to begin with having their own internal problems. That leaves Syria as the only Arab country under the same regime that threatens Israel, and I haven't seen anyone talk about how glorious the Syrian regime is.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2009, 04:55:06 PM »

Aye, conceded.
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2009, 02:17:03 AM »

it does not matter on the government. it matters on what the problem is and how it started.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies