Lief/Bacon King Campaign HQ
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 02:27:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Lief/Bacon King Campaign HQ
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Lief/Bacon King Campaign HQ  (Read 5129 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2009, 05:30:05 PM »

Yeah, if a non-partisan moderator would be willing to moderate the debate, I would gladly take part.
the artist formerly known as catmusic
catmusic
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.16, S: -7.91

P
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2009, 06:23:25 PM »
« Edited: June 01, 2009, 07:33:14 PM by catmusic »

endorsed. You will be great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2009, 06:26:21 PM »

endorsed. You will be great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, I'd like to ask for a running in the Pacific for senator. JUST DID MY 100th POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, there is already someone running for the seat there from the JCP, but I wish you the best of luck Smiley
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2009, 11:49:33 PM »

I urge everyone to keep up to date with the goings on in the Presidential Debate, graciously hosted by Jas and the Examiner.

Tomorrow I will be presenting an unveiling a detailed agenda.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2009, 12:06:06 AM »

I eagerly await your plans Smiley
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2009, 07:49:09 PM »

As promised, here is the agenda I hope to enact if I am elected to the presidency this June. Obviously I have stands on many other issues besides those listed below; in most cases, I think that most people know my stances on these issues, though I would be happy to answer any questions.

The Four-Point Plan to Revitalize Atlasia

Health Insurance for all Atlasians
I pointed this out in my announcement speech and I'd like to emphasize it again here. Health care in Atlasia is a broken, confusing and jumbled mess. With very little support from the federal government, the regions have been left to their own on the issue, and very little action has been taken. My plan would involve the following:

-A federal government-run public and not for profit health insurance program that Atlasian citizens can buy into.

-A constitutional amendment giving the federal government the authority to pass health care legislation.

-Working with the Senate and regional governments to come up with a plan that is acceptable to all Atlasians and sustainable, while not straying from my determination to give all citizens a choice between private and public options.

A National Living Wage
Like health care in this country, the minimum wage is currently an issue that has been left to the regions, with mixed results. I support the following:

-A constitutional amendment giving the Senate the authority to pass a nationwide minimum wage mandate.

-Subsequent legislation that would establish a nationwide minimum wage, indexed to inflation.

-Legislation that would gradually transition this nationwide wage from a minimum one to a living one, so that all hard-working Atlasians have the resources to afford the basic necessities of life.

An Economic Stimulus Plan
The economy is an issue that the Senate has largely ignored, even as working Atlasians face the worst economic crisis in decades. My stimulus package would do the following:

-Invest money in fixing roads, bridges and other infrastructure throughout the country, putting people back to work.

-Temporarily increase funding for food stamp and unemployment benefits, to help struggling families and increase consumer spending.

-Provide aid to local and state governments, to prevent lay-offs of teachers and other government workers.

-Temporarily nationalize the ailing auto industry, and put it on track to retool and adapt to compete in a 21st century economy.

Complete Overhaul of the Atlasian Tax Code
The Atlasian tax code is currently rather vaguely based on that of the United States, aside from a few laws that have amended and revised it slightly. As President, I would work with the Senate to craft Atlasia's own tax code, so that we have a better idea of where our money is coming from. I will work to ensure that this tax code is based primarily on progressive income taxation, with hopefully very little reliance on regressive or "flat" taxation. Besides giving the government a better idea of our resources, this more progressive tax policy would ensure a fairer, more equitable society and a strong Atlasian middle class.

As state above, I will be happy to answer any questions about my agenda or about my stances on other pertinent issues. Thank you.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2009, 08:53:59 PM »

Although my word does not mean much around Atlasia these days (then again it never has even when I was Lieutenant Governor) Senator, I would like to offer you my most humblest of endorsements for President of the Republic. Best of luck in the campaign.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2009, 10:10:28 AM »

I'm back!
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2009, 10:10:41 AM »

Some information on me. As you know, the Vice President mostly deals with the Atlasian Senate. Here's a few of the major efforts I've been involved in recently:

• I single-handedly prevented the Senate from inadvertently removing all Atlasian broadcast law (source)

• I promoted the comprehensive reform of Atlasian drug law, doing most of the research that the new bill entailed (source)

• My opposition turned the tide in the debate of the "CO2 Cap and Trade Bill," preventing Atlasia's carbon tax system from being replaced with a much more confusing and less efficient setup. (source)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2009, 08:36:47 PM »

Question for Lief?

How do you intend to pay for a public Health care plan? Will that be taken into account when you redo the tax code? Unless both pass at the same time, how can we be sure the Health care plan won't pass unless the tax code has been reformed to support it? What changes will you make to the Tax code and how can we be sure it will generate enought revenue to pay for your health care plan?
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2009, 04:45:11 PM »

I shall now give you a few questions, namely some questions that I already gave earlier to PiT, one of your opponents.

1. Where do you stand in regards to this?

2. What do you think in regards to bgwah nominating Keystone Phil for attorney general? And in the event that you are elected, do you intend to replace him?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2009, 09:01:33 PM »

I shall now give you a few questions, namely some questions that I already gave earlier to PiT, one of your opponents.

1. Where do you stand in regards to this?

2. What do you think in regards to bgwah nominating Keystone Phil for attorney general? And in the event that you are elected, do you intend to replace him?

1) I support abolishing the regions.

2) I don't think it's prudent for a candidate to talk about cabinet appointments before he has been elected. If elected, I will leave all options on the table with regards to my cabinet. Though bgwah and I are in the same party, my administration will not be a total continuation of his, and I will review each member of the cabinet when putting together my own.

Question for Lief?

How do you intend to pay for a public Health care plan? Will that be taken into account when you redo the tax code? Unless both pass at the same time, how can we be sure the Health care plan won't pass unless the tax code has been reformed to support it? What changes will you make to the Tax code and how can we be sure it will generate enought revenue to pay for your health care plan?

Universal health care should be sustainable in the long-run, and as such, I hope for it to be fully funded by government revenues. I would personally like for the majority of the costs to come from progressive taxation, and will try to lobby the Senate to that end.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2009, 09:08:51 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

If I may ask, why do you support abolishing the regions, and what good would it do?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2009, 09:19:34 PM »

If I may ask, why do you support abolishing the regions, and what good would it do?

None whatsoever, especially for new members like you looking to get involved. Goodbye regional assembly(ies).
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2009, 09:24:29 PM »

None whatsoever, especially for new members like you looking to get involved. Goodbye regional assembly(ies).
That's my concern. If you abolish regions, wouldn't it reduce the number of positions available? I could see why Lief supports this though, because if all elections were national elections, the JCP would kill the RPP and DA, meaning one party would dominate, and that wouldn't be very fun. A lot of Atlasians would probably leave.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2009, 10:46:31 PM »

Well, I don't support abolishing regions either. But personally I believe the chances of it happening are near 0%, so I'm not too worried about it... Wink
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2009, 11:01:08 PM »

Well, I don't support abolishing regions either. But personally I believe the chances of it happening are near 0%, so I'm not too worried about it... Wink

True. Hard to imagine the regions voting to abolish themselves.

That said, it is no comfort that a candidate for President wants to abolish the backbone of the introduction to the game.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2009, 12:33:13 AM »

For what it's worth, I support regional rights.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2009, 01:47:05 AM »

That's my concern. If you abolish regions, wouldn't it reduce the number of positions available? I could see why Lief supports this though, because if all elections were national elections, the JCP would kill the RPP and DA, meaning one party would dominate, and that wouldn't be very fun. A lot of Atlasians would probably leave.

Well, that's ridiculous. I have also been a strong supporter of more proportional election system. Besides, the current election is between a left-wing candidate with the JCP's backing and a right-wing candidate with the DA and RPP's backing, and I'm hardly dominating or killing PiT; he's ahead by a fair amount at the moment, if my math is correct. What I desire is a game that is healthy, active and engaging, throughout, and the regions are, by and large, inactive deadweight.

True. Hard to imagine the regions voting to abolish themselves.

That said, it is no comfort that a candidate for President wants to abolish the backbone of the introduction to the game.

Hardly. The regions only serve as the backbone of the introduction to the game (which is only really true in some regions these days; others, such as the Northeast or the Pacific, are controlled by people who have been in the game for a long time) because we let them be. There's no reason why newbies can't take a more active role in the workings of the national government. There's no reason why newbies can submit bills to their regional legislature but not their national legislature. Maybe, if we didn't have the impediment of region legislatures, people would be more involved in the Senate, pay more attention to what's happening there, and ultimately give the legislation written by the Senators more importance.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2009, 10:53:59 AM »

Congratulations on your apparent win guys.  Of course I would have rather won but there are no two guys I would have rather had us lose to.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2009, 01:36:21 PM »

Congratulations on your win. I didn't vote for you, but I spoke out for and recognised the legitimacy of your win.

Be nice to the Senate Smiley
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2009, 01:55:29 PM »

Congratulations too. Glad to see the Left winning somewhere...
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2009, 06:59:38 PM »

Huh. That's a surprise. I had already resigned myself to defeat. Tongue

Well, I don't want to jinx anything by declaring victory definitively until any court cases work their way through the court system. But, if the result stands (and even if it doesn't), I want to thank the many people who voted for and supported Bacon King and I. I promise that we won't let you down.

I'd also like to thank PiT and Happy Warrior for running a great race, and hope to work with them in the future.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2009, 07:03:57 PM »

I would also like to thank you for the exhilarating race.

Also, it seems that Lewis is ready to make a case for there being a runoff. I guess that means the election fun might not be over yet. Smiley
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2009, 08:22:00 PM »

Hearty congratulations. I fully expect you to be competent, active and reformist.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies