Republican Campaigns
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:12:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Republican Campaigns
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Grade the last 5
Bush 92 A

Bush 92 B

Bush 92 C

Bush 92 D

Bush 92 F

Dole 92 A

Dole 96 B

Dole 96 C

Dole 96 D

Dole 96 F

Bush 00 A

Bush 00 B

Bush 00 C

Bush 00 D

Bush 00 f

Bush 04 A

Bush 04 B

Bush 04 C

Bush 04 D

Bush 04 F

McCain 08 A

McCain 08 B

McCain 08 C

McCain 08 D

McCain 08 F

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Republican Campaigns  (Read 3842 times)
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 27, 2009, 03:30:03 PM »

Well?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 03:42:30 PM »

Second of all, I have no doubt that an Atwater-style campaign would have made the election much closer, perhaps even ruined Obama's chances.  McCain was just too nice a campaigner, and at times his campaign seemed impotent.  The decision to suspend the campaign because of the economy was the worst EVER.  In September/October he allowed Obama to make the campaign narrative.  He just couldn't distance himself from Bush and he hardly even tried.  Terrible campaign.

That goes straight to the Comedy Goldmine.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 04:00:08 PM »

McCain's problem was that he didn't taje advantage of the primary process and get an early start. He had a huge advantage since he was the presumptive nominee before Obama was, but he seemed to just sit back an relax. If he would have worked as hard then as he did in the final months, it would have been much closer.
McCain was too nice. Obama had a lot of issues that concerned Americans. (Reverend Wright, Ayers Connection, Muslim???, Birth Certificate) that McCain didn't bring up. He was too soft on Obama.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 04:08:16 PM »

McCain's problem was that he didn't taje advantage of the primary process and get an early start. He had a huge advantage since he was the presumptive nominee before Obama was, but he seemed to just sit back an relax. If he would have worked as hard then as he did in the final months, it would have been much closer.
McCain was too nice. Obama had a lot of issues that concerned Americans. (Reverend Wright, Ayers Connection, Muslim???, Birth Certificate) that McCain didn't bring up. He was too soft on Obama.

I cannot believe you would even bring up the Muslim issue. Conservatives have no shame.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 04:10:03 PM »

All of these were terrible. Even Dubya's much-vaunted reelection effort was laughable, in that he attracted less than 51% of the vote during the apex of American patriotic furor in the post-Cold War era. The Republicans haven't been good at campaigning since '84, and not great at it since '72.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 06:05:34 AM »

1992 : D
1996 : C
2000 : C
2004 : F
2008 : B

McCain campaign was the best. Every other candidate would be destroyed by Obama.
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -3.90

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 03:59:53 PM »

I give Bush's '04 Campaign and A. Considering outside circumstances, and Bush's presidency, Bush really did a good job. I wouldn't vote for him, but he did a great job winning voters he had no buisness winning. He was a weak candidate, but he ran a good campaign. Overall though, pretty weak field for the most part. It's quite interesting when you think about it, because Reagan, Nixon and Eisenhower were all great candidates who ran great campaigns.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 08:11:06 PM »

1992: D
1996: D
2000: B
2004: A
2008: C
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 02:10:28 AM »

I give Bush's '04 Campaign and A. Considering outside circumstances, and Bush's presidency, Bush really did a good job. I wouldn't vote for him, but he did a great job winning voters he had no buisness winning. He was a weak candidate, but he ran a good campaign. Overall though, pretty weak field for the most part. It's quite interesting when you think about it, because Reagan, Nixon and Eisenhower were all great candidates who ran great campaigns.

Are you serious? Bush had the benefit of the largest terrorist attack on domestic soil nine months into his Presidency, two resulting wars, and a popular stance on the hot-button social issues of the day. The fact that he couldn't win 51% of the vote with everything in his favor belies the ineptness of the Bush '04 campaign.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 07:20:29 AM »

Bush'04 campaign was a disgusting, demagogic and dishonest campaign. When you are an incompetent president who is destroying America in the name of God, the only way to campaign is to say that you opponent is an antipatriotic ( Kerry loved France, what an horror ! ), an intellectual ( according to Bush everyone who isn't stupid as him is an intellectual ) and a traitor ( contrary to Bush, Kerry did the Vietnam War ). Bush'04 campaign is just nauseating, it's a concentrated of stupidity, bigotry, demagogy and calumny.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 10:57:17 AM »

*Sigh* Please, please don't make yourself look like an idiot. If Obama is a Muslim, why is there no evidence of him having visited a mosque at any point in his adult life? Why has he been photographed eating pork and drinking beer? And furthermore, if he's a Muslim, why did he join Reverend Wright's church? Either he's a Muslim or he's a member of a racist black power church. Pick one. He can't be both.

As for the birth certificate, can you please, please, please tell me why the State of Hawaii has a record of a fraudulent birth in its records? Oh wait, lemme guess. The Saudis paid them off and bought the silence of hundreds of people, right?

If McCain had gone after these, he would have been slammed as a racist by every news organization except for Fox, and it would have backfired.

and McCain brought up Ayers quite extensively.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 11:48:04 AM »

Bush'04 campaign was a disgusting, demagogic and dishonest campaign. When you are an incompetent president who is destroying America in the name of God, the only way to campaign is to say that you opponent is an antipatriotic ( Kerry loved France, what an horror ! ), an intellectual ( according to Bush everyone who isn't stupid as him is an intellectual ) and a traitor ( contrary to Bush, Kerry did the Vietnam War ). Bush'04 campaign is just nauseating, it's a concentrated of stupidity, bigotry, demagogy and calumny.

When you're so invested in a candidate and he loses, it's not surprising that you would find his opponent's campaign disgusting.  Kerry stupidly wrapped himself up in his Vietnam credentials.  Remember his silly salute at the convention?  The problem was that Kerry did some things in Vietnam that were less than patriotic and often treasonous.  Secondly, the 'intellectual' attack and anti-intellectualism in general is based not on a dislike for intelligence but a dislike for elitism.  Kerry was the richest Senator and he was never able to connect to the average voter.  His wife Teresa made a speech at the convention in several languages to show how 'worldly' she was.  His affinity for France did nothing to help his image.

You daily dose of stupid by our Blubbering Republican redneck friend.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 08:57:11 PM »

Why do you want to prove that you're an idiot?
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 11:52:56 PM »

Secondly, the 'intellectual' attack and anti-intellectualism in general is based not on a dislike for intelligence but a dislike for elitism.  Kerry was the richest Senator and he was never able to connect to the average voter.

If he had invested in a ranch somewhere in west Texas and affected a southwestern drawl, presumably he would have run better among conservative voters. In the world of right-wing "populism," image is everything.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2009, 12:00:40 AM »

Bush 92: D
Dole 96: C. Not much he could've done, really.
Bush 00: B. Shouldn't have come close, but he did.
Bush 04: B. Not bad, but his winning here had a lot more to do with Kerry's suckage, IMO...
McCain 08: D. Palin was truly epic fail.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2009, 12:21:00 AM »

Bush 1992: F, I don't see how anyone can give it any other grade. Bush went from "politically invincible" to trailing Clinton by double digits within a year.

Dole 1996: I'll give him a D, but it was hard to make people care that year.

Bush 2000: Maybe a C, Monica Lewinsky really helped him out. Gore really outdid Bush in the last couple weeks of the campaign; Bush just got really lucky in the end.

Bush 2004: Bush really f'ed up Iraq with the WMD/terrorist ties controversy and got unlucky that troops started dying in uncomfortable numbers beginning in early 2004 (135 killed in April 2004) or so. Otherwise he would have won in a landslide. Tagging Kerry as a "flip-flopper" was brilliant and it stuck given his ineptitude to respond to attacks. Lousy debate performances but overall I'd give it a B. "Moral Values" turnout was excellent.

McCain 2008: Impressive job pulling himself back into relevancy by December 2007 but his nomination was kinda lucky with pluralities giving him marginal victories in NH, SC, FL before Super Tuesday. Had a hard time attracting media attention for obvious reasons from Super Tuesday to the RNC, but still managed to remain competitive with Obama until Sep. 15. After that, his campaign was really awful. Maybe a C- given the tough environment.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2009, 11:05:04 AM »

Bush 00: B. Shouldn't have come close, but he did.

this logic angers me.  who cares what he 'should' have been able to do?  the point is that he was basically winning the entire time and crashed and burned in the last three weeks.
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2009, 01:19:03 AM »

Bush '92 was probably the only candidate who actually managed to talk me out of voting for them when I had been planning to do so.

I was a Republican in the day, and a little more conservative than I am now (reality opened my eyes a bit.  The GOP swerving hard toward authoritarianism after that did too), but his closing campaign - accusing Clinton of being a communist making a huge deal over Clinton's draft avoidance lost him a lot of credibility with me.  Taking campaign advice from Bob Dornan showed a fatal lack of good judgment.
JerryBrown2010
KyleGordon2016
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.68, S: -9.30

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2009, 10:26:19 AM »

Bush 92   D
Dole 96    D
Bush 00    B
Bush 04    C
McCain 08 C
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2009, 06:33:07 AM »

Bush ran a lousy campaign in 1992.  Talk about uninspiring ... Dole, much the same way, though it is telling that about 100% of the undecideds broke for Dole on election day.  Bush ran a good campaign in 2000, good, not great.  It should never have been as close as it was, though.  Bush has the superb Democrat GOTV efforts to blame for that.

Bush's campaign in 2004 was just about the best campaign up there, and still it failed to produce a landslide victory.  He won, however, with some seats in Congress to boot.

The problem wasn't with the campaign; the problem was with the product.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

McCain may have run a nice-guy campaign, but the GOP ran the nasty Atwater/Rove style of campaign... and the more the GOP ran that campaign, the better Obama did.  The idea was to cast Obama as an extremist -- which worked very well for LBJ against Goldwater or Nixon against McGovern.  It failed badly when the Carter campaign tried it against Reagan -- because Reagan turned on the charm and showed himself too pragmatic to be an extremist. Obama has much the same political skills as Ronald Reagan, and he did much the same as did Reagan.

The schizophrenic Party-nominee divide works -- to bring defeat. I don't say that McCain would have won; without it; I just think that the election of 2008 would have been far closer, and the GOP might not have lost some of the Senate seats that it lost.     
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies