Schock and Awe - Can he be the face of the party?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 03:29:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Schock and Awe - Can he be the face of the party?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Schock and Awe - Can he be the face of the party?  (Read 5389 times)
Mint
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2009, 04:23:52 PM »

I think the "historically low" comment implied "since the tax existed," boy wonder.

What tax rates do "I want" again?
50% or greater on the 'wealthy.'

After creating additional tax brackets.

Oh yeah, that's so much better.

BTW: What's with the condescension.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2009, 04:25:41 PM »

I think the "historically low" comment implied "since the tax existed," boy wonder.

Creating additional tax brackets makes the system more progressive than it is, which it really isn't. For some of the lower groups it makes sense but the higher it gets it's essentially just a flat tax for a large array of people, regardless.

And it's something that's rubbed off from Phil. Worry not, nothing personal. Tongue
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2009, 04:34:56 PM »

Creating additional tax brackets makes the system more progressive than it is, which it really isn't. For some of the lower groups it makes sense but the higher it gets it's essentially just a flat tax for a large array of people, regardless.

Less bad for my family, but still not desirable. Plus somehow, higher taxation is never enough for government. It just enables them to spend more. Something like the Clinton years, which were heavily fairly center-right anyway, don't really count.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Roll Eyes
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2009, 04:35:33 PM »

Do you have some sort of point here, or...?
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2009, 04:37:24 PM »

Yeah, taxes and spending are too high.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2009, 04:38:23 PM »

Yeah, taxes and spending are too high.

Look at these crippling high taxes! Look how high they are in relation to the past! It's just out of control!
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2009, 04:42:41 PM »

I don't think anyone should have to give the government more than a third of what they earned. Right now when you factor in sales, property, etc. in addition to a 35% income tax it's far more than that in many cases. I don't care that we've had similarly stupid tax rates thanks to you liberals, that's just robbery.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2009, 04:43:14 PM »

I don't think anyone should have to give the government more than a third of what they earned. Right now when you factor in sales, property, etc. in addition to a 35% income tax it's far more than that in many cases. I don't care that we've had similarly stupid tax rates thanks to you liberals, that's just robbery.

Paging Coburn, paging Coburn.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2009, 04:59:10 PM »

Right, anyone that doesn't want >40% of their income gobbled up is a right wing extremist...
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2009, 05:33:03 PM »

Right, anyone that doesn't want >40% of their income gobbled up is a right wing extremist...

I am so old, that I can remember when the top rate was 70%.  50% is a good max figure as the top marginal rate provided it includes all taxes, not just federal income taxes. Obviously, that is a subjective opinion. If the top federal income tax rate is 50% however, by the time you add state and local income and sales taxes, you are up to maybe 63% in some states, and that is just too high. That has got to influence incentives to produce, and encourage efforts to not only defer recognizing income, but also to convert income into something less tax hostile, not to speak of just plain good old failure to report income.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2009, 05:57:02 PM »
« Edited: May 13, 2009, 06:10:42 PM by sbane »

Roll Eyes @ the thought that this generation is always going to hate the GOP. Really, people. Get a grip.
So you're saying the Republican party will eventually change?

No, most of them will become more conservative the older they get and start paying taxes.

I have to dispute this. Yes people generally get more conservative as they age but I think the amount is exaggerated. Just look at the boomers now or the Reagan generation. Yeah the boomers are more conservative today than they were 40 years ago, but they are still more liberal than what you would expect at their age. On the flip side we got the people who came of age under Reagan and they are more conservative for their age than you would expect. Our generation is much more liberal and will stay relatively liberal as we age. I think social issues have a lot to do with it and gay marriage  will become key. Republicans just have to moderate on it as fast as they can because even though its a winning issue today, it probably won't be in 10-20 years. And if there is a perception by that time of Republicans being anti-gay then the party will suffer. On the other hand republicans really do not need to moderate on abortion at all. All evidence shows our generation is just as conservative, if not more, than previous generations on that particular issue.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2009, 06:05:47 PM »

If he is the future of the GOP, then expect a lot more Libertarians in the future.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2009, 06:08:19 PM »

I am so old, that I can remember when the top rate was 70%.  50% is a good max figure as the top marginal rate provided it includes all taxes, not just federal income taxes. Obviously, that is a subjective opinion. If the top federal income tax rate is 50% however, by the time you add state and local income and sales taxes, you are up to maybe 63% in some states, and that is just too high. That has got to influence incentives to produce, and encourage efforts to not only defer recognizing income, but also to convert income into something less tax hostile, not to speak of just plain good old failure to report income.

When people make multi million dollars, do you think raising the tax rate by 5-10% is going to "influence incentives to produce"? It would be wrong to raise the tax rate to 50% on those making $200,000 a year, hell it would ruin the city of SF and Manhattan. But don't tell me it is unfair on someone making 2-3 mil a year, especially after "bonuses". Omg how much do I hate bonuses. Especially in the financial sector they are contractually obligated to give those out regardless of the companies performance.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2009, 06:12:43 PM »

When people make multi million dollars, do you think raising the tax rate by 5-10% is going to "influence incentives to produce"? It would be wrong to raise the tax rate to 50% on those making $200,000 a year, hell it would ruin the city of SF and Manhattan. But don't tell me it is unfair on someone making 2-3 mil a year, especially after "bonuses". Omg how much do I hate bonuses. Especially in the financial sector they are contractually obligated to give those out regardless of the companies performance.

A 5% raise would get us to about 50% in some states. If you go much higher, the distortions I think will start to kick in at an increasingly exponential rate. If you think fairness demands higher rates, that will be one of the costs. Fairness is in the eyes of the beholder. What do you think the top marginal rate should be on income, federal, state and local combined?
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2009, 06:13:38 PM »
« Edited: May 13, 2009, 06:15:41 PM by Total Revenge »

Robbery that in turn will probably benefit everyone(at least with education, infrastructure and research). I am not going to try and argue that they aren't high but the rich can afford to pay higher taxes while those at the bottom cannot. Would you rather liberals just believe in ridiculous deficits and money printing rather than high taxes on the rich?

Besides what you consider robbery is subjective and I doubt the most of the voting populace that will not have their taxes raised will care if society as a whole benefits from government institutions.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2009, 06:15:45 PM »

Hope no one minds losing public transportation and the fire department.
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2009, 06:16:08 PM »

Why not just make a flat tax rate of about 20%-30% across the board?
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2009, 06:17:17 PM »
« Edited: May 13, 2009, 06:20:28 PM by Mint »

Robbery that in turn will probably benefit everyone(at least with education, infrastructure and research). I am not going to try and argue that they aren't high but the rich can afford to pay higher taxes while those at the bottom cannot.

I don't necessarily think more spending is the answer to all of those things, especially education where we've consistently spent more since the '80s only to see continued deterioration. And who exactly is 'rich' according to you?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That seems to be the case regardless of which party dominates, generally speaking. Now perhaps the situation would be improved with a Democrat in office and a Republican Congress as we saw before, but overall raising taxes to mitigate spending... just results in more spending. Note the trends in the 'Liberal Consensus' (1933-1973). Many of the worst deficits were when we had the highest tax rate, although that's explainable in part due to the depression resulting in lower tax receipts.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2009, 06:23:09 PM »

Why not just make a flat tax rate of about 20%-30% across the board?

30% would kill a lot of families. I'm not that opposed to something like a 15% flat tax (at least in theory), but we'd need massive cuts in military spending, entitlements, etc. to sustain one. Ones which aren't happening barring something like a government default or some other crisis.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2009, 06:26:12 PM »
« Edited: May 13, 2009, 06:28:11 PM by sbane »

A 5% raise would get us to about 50% in some states. If you go much higher, the distortions I think will start to kick in at an increasingly exponential rate. If you think fairness demands higher rates, that will be one of the costs. Fairness is in the eyes of the beholder. What do you think the top marginal rate should be on income, federal, state and local combined?

Yeah some states, like California, have pretty high tax burdens to begin with. So I guess in California the tax rate would be close to 65% for those making millions of dollars. Again I don't know if that in itself would cause these multi millionaires to become hermits . And if they try the sleazy route and decide to "die" or whatever, I say the government complete their wish and send them to room temperature prematurely. As you can tell I am in a bit of a radical mood today. Tongue
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2009, 06:29:16 PM »

Roll Eyes @ the thought that this generation is always going to hate the GOP. Really, people. Get a grip.

Roll Eyes

Or that people might change! Imagine that! Young people not always feeling the same way throughout life!
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2009, 06:32:19 PM »

Yeah some states, like California, have pretty high tax burdens to begin with. So I guess in California the tax rate would be close to 65% for those making millions of dollars. Again I don't know if that in itself would cause these multi millionaires to become hermits . And if they try the sleazy route and decide to "die" or whatever, I say the government complete their wish and send them to room temperature prematurely. As you can tell I am in a bit of a radical mood today. Tongue

Ya, you sound a bit like my nephew. I keep having to remind him, that it is not in his best interests for me to get what I "deserve" just yet. Sometimes justice delayed is best.  Smiley
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2009, 06:33:10 PM »

Roll Eyes

Or that people might change! Imagine that! Young people not always feeling the same way throughout life!

Do you really think our generation will get more conservative on social issues? Especially gay marriage. I can see it happening on things like taxes and the amount of government involvement in our lives, but not on social issues.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2009, 06:33:17 PM »

Roll Eyes

Not every election will be like 2008 forever.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2009, 06:34:40 PM »

Roll Eyes

Do you really think our generation will get more conservative on social issues? Especially gay marriage. I can see it happening on things like taxes and the amount of government involvement in our lives, but not on social issues.

Listen, every generation gets a little more socially moderate or liberal compared to their earlier generation but what you're implying is ridiculous.

The Baby Boomers were supposed to be hethens for their whole life. How'd that turn out?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies