Will The Republicans ever win D.C.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:33:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Will The Republicans ever win D.C.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Will The Republicans ever win D.C.  (Read 12943 times)
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 29, 2004, 05:18:29 AM »

I know this doesn't really belong in "History" but there is no "Future" forum lol.

What you reckon?
dunn

« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2004, 05:26:10 AM »

I voted not in the next 50 years

anything could happen.. it took 100 years, civil rights and Goldwater but in 64' the south vote for the repulican

50 years is a long time
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2004, 08:00:42 AM »

I agree, not in the next 50 years...the parties could flip-flop by then, etc.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2004, 10:08:15 AM »

no shot.

dc is probably 98% blacks and government employees, both groups vote overwhemingly democratic.
Huckleberry Finn
Finn

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2004, 04:35:07 PM »

I voted not in the next 50 years, but I'm not 100% sure. Republicans could win with very popular, very moderate, Afro-American, incumbent candidate. (Colin Powell?) But this is very improbable scenario.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2004, 05:31:38 PM »

I, like so many others, voted not in the next 50 years. By then, so much might have happened. 98.57% in South Carolina voted for FDR in 1936. 28 years later, 1964, 58.89% voted for Goldwater. That's how fast things can change.

Btw, does anyone know why Dave listed 3rd party candidate T. Coleman Andrews for the 1956 presidential election in SC? The guy got 2 votes, which means himself and his running mate, how pathetic is that? Cheesy Grin
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2004, 06:01:11 PM »

Btw, does anyone know why Dave listed 3rd party candidate T. Coleman Andrews for the 1956 presidential election in SC? The guy got 2 votes, which means himself and his running mate, how pathetic is that? Cheesy Grin

Were they from SC or something?

Anyway, he put that in because they got 107,929 votes in the nation.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2004, 09:14:30 PM »
« Edited: February 29, 2004, 09:35:10 PM by nclib »

I voted no. At least not under our current political situation. As for Powell, even a left-wing Dem like Kucinich would probably beat him in DC, but barely.

If there's a major political revolution, I suppose it's possible [Reps would win DC], but I don't see that happening anytime in the near future.

Upon recollection, I guess I could have put "Sometime In The Distant Future". But I don't see it as analogous to the S.C. switch. In 1936, SC voted overwhelmingly for a Democratic Party that was also supported by Northern states whose views and demographics were very different from South Carolinians.

D.C. is consistent with the National Democratic Party. It even transgresses racial lines. Blacks in DC voted overwhelmingly for Gore as did blacks in the rest of the country. Whites in DC voted around 70% Gore, a number similar to whites in other Northern urban cities.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2004, 12:09:19 AM »

Republicans will win DC when Dennis Kucinich wins Idaho.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2004, 08:06:17 AM »

I remember my mom told me once how a local candidate for the the DKP (nutty "communists") and his wife came to vote in the precinct where she was a volunteer. He got one vote in that precinct, which means his wife can't have had that much confidence in him.
dunn

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2004, 09:42:36 AM »

I remember my mom told me once how a local candidate for the the DKP (nutty "communists") and his wife came to vote in the precinct where she was a volunteer. He got one vote in that precinct, which means his wife can't have had that much confidence in him.

maybe he was so honest he did not vote for himself

Smiley
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2004, 11:31:00 AM »

That is cool! Cheesy
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2004, 11:31:57 AM »

That's still only 0.17% of the national vote...but I do see your point though...
zachman

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2004, 04:37:51 PM »

Reagan lost by 50% points in 1984, in DC. It ain't going back unless the parties switch again, which should happen in 50-100 years.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2004, 04:46:54 PM »

Reagan lost by 50% points in 1984, in DC. It ain't going back unless the parties switch again, which should happen in 50-100 years.

Why should it?
zachman

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2004, 05:39:19 PM »

Parties accept a new issue based on their president's viewpoints. If the republicans court immigrant voters, they will start to lose conservatives- especially if the democrats nominate a national hero. This will be similar to Johnson's Great Society, shifting the support in the South.

The parties change, especially if they do not have a trademark difference, which the republicans could acheive if the democrats dominate again.
zachman

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2004, 05:57:39 PM »

I was thinking this post was about Utah. Oops.

But the same conditions do apply.
MarkDel

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2004, 12:46:27 AM »

There is NO WAY the Republicans will ever win Washington, DC. I suppose anything is possible in 100 years or so, but historical trends suggesting shifting party ideology are not as applicable to this situation. I suppose it's possible that DC could vote Republican if virtually all of the Black people moved to a different area...LOL

Let me put this in perspective for you how STRONG the Black vote is for the Democratic Party in DC. On Election Day, if I snuck into all of the voting booths in Washington, DC and changed the Republican ticket to Dr. Martin Luther King, and the Democratic ticket to Adolf Hitler, then Zie Fuehrer would be winning election in Washington, DC!!! If you think I'm overstating this, just consider the African American community's reaction to Colin Powell and Condi Rice being prominent members of the Bush Cabinet...
Huckleberry Finn
Finn

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2004, 01:09:41 AM »

I suppose it's possible that DC could vote Republican if virtually all of the Black people moved to a different area...LOL
That is good point. I was just going to take note about it here. Very improbable scenario however. White conservative middle class trending inner city urban living in USA? But I have read some article that told about it. It was about Los Angeles situation.

I Finland there is lot of conservative rich people living in the inner city of Helsinki btw.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2004, 01:44:40 AM »

I suppose it's possible that DC could vote Republican if virtually all of the Black people moved to a different area...LOL

Actually D.C. whites voted for Gore 67-20. Even just that would make it more Democratic than any of the 50 states.
MarkDel

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2004, 01:57:42 AM »

Lewis,

Sounds like an interesting book. What's the overall message he's trying to promote?

NCLib,

Wow, is that right? 67-20 for Gore among white DC voters? Come to think of it, that might make sense. When I worked on Capitol Hill, most of the Republican staffers lived in Roslyn, Arlington, Alexandria and other parts of Northern Virginia, while most of the Democratic staffers lived right in the District itself.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2004, 02:12:19 PM »

Very true... Smiley

I don't see D.C. changing hands anytime soon. Though, as Zachman says, political parties in the US are not as strongly defined idelogically as in most other countries, so the 'Democrats' might be something very different in a 100 years, making D.C. go for the 'Republican' by that time.
Apostle
Rookie

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2004, 08:02:12 PM »

I think D.C. would be a better place if the Republicans took over.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2021, 11:40:06 PM »

I like how Atlas has been asking this question for over 17 years now.
TodayJunior
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2021, 10:36:42 PM »
« Edited: May 27, 2021, 10:49:48 PM by TodayJunior »

There’s a greater likelihood of the entire ice sheet of Antarctica melting and becoming a habitable continent within this decade.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies