little river county arkansas
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:39:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  little river county arkansas
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: little river county arkansas  (Read 5728 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 10, 2009, 02:00:11 PM »

2004:
john kerry: 51%

2008:
barack obama: 34%

man, they must really dislike joe biden, or something.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 02:03:36 PM »

Poinsett County was worse. Kerry recieved 52.69%, and Obama mustered only 34.59%
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 02:14:13 PM »

Poinsett County was worse. Kerry recieved 52.69%, and Obama mustered only 34.59%

obviously, they were opposed to his health care plan.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 02:25:54 PM »
« Edited: May 10, 2009, 02:30:57 PM by Senator Realisticidealist »

A more likely connection:
Clinton % vs. Trend

This also works with Tennessee, Louisiana, West Virginia, and Oklahoma (to a lesser extent).
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 02:29:30 PM »

Little River always votes for the candidate with the littler penis, Walter.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 02:31:56 PM »

Or the place is crawling with people making over 250.000$ a year.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 08:34:25 PM »

I'm still most concerned with Logan and Mingo, WV.

Even McDowell, which Obama still won.  The swing to McCain there was pretty huge...
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 09:03:13 PM »

I wouldn't get too bent out of shape over a few rural counties. Yes, I'd rather win them, but there aren't a lot of votes there.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 06:31:18 AM »

I wouldn't get too bent out of shape over a few rural counties. Yes, I'd rather win them, but there aren't a lot of votes there.

It's sort of disheartening, though.  These people voted Democratic over and over and over - until Obama was the nominee, going against the national trend.  The conclusion we are forced to draw from that is just downright unpleasant.

Of course I suppose it's no different than rural counties which never voted for the Democrats in the first place, and remained as such in 2008.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 05:24:10 PM »

It's sort of disheartening, though.  These people voted Democratic over and over and over - until Obama was the nominee, going against the national trend.  The conclusion we are forced to draw from that is just downright unpleasant.

Of course I suppose it's no different than rural counties which never voted for the Democrats in the first place, and remained as such in 2008.

I totally agree with your second paragraph. While what you described in your first paragraph certainly is disturbing, but given the choice between a racist who otherwise supports Democratic policies vs. a racist who supports Republican policies, I'd choose the former.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 10:15:23 PM »

Logan County, West Virginia has voted for all Democratic nominees except Al Smith and Barack Obama. hmm.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 10:18:25 PM »

Logan County, West Virginia has voted for all Democratic nominees except Al Smith and Barack Obama. hmm.

1960 primary result?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 10:20:56 PM »

1960 primary result?

That's not exactly readily available information...
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 11:05:36 PM »

1960 primary result?

That's not exactly readily available information...

it would likely disprove rob's assumptions.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2009, 11:08:48 PM »

There was a ton of cash flowing through the West Virginia coal country that primary season. I don't know how it voted, but it wouldn't mean much either way...
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2009, 11:11:39 PM »

There was a ton of cash flowing through the West Virginia coal country that primary season. I don't know how it voted, but it wouldn't mean much either way...

of course it was a corrupt result.

but it isnt like other wv elections were clean.

(i would also argue that most workaday west virginians generally liked the kennedys better than humphrey, even if they were spooked of his religion)
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 10:26:30 PM »

I don't really agree with everyone claiming that Arkansas is so racist as to why it was the state that swung the most Republican in a big Democratic year. I'm sure that played out to some extent but I think the real reason why Arkansas went so Republican is because of the Clinton factor - Hillary wasn't the nominee and I'm sure a lot of Arkansans felt really hurt and betrayed after watching her go through everything she went through during the primary - being called the Al Sharpton of white people and constantly mouthed as this polarizing bitch all because she dared to run for President and then she was slammed as racist simply for the fact that white, working class voters voted overwhelmingly for her over Obama. They voted for Hillary not because of the color of her skin or because of Obama's skin, but because of her message of jobs, jobs, jobs that really resonated in the rural areas, and most of these Reagan Democrats remember how good life was for them when Bill was president. IMO, it was more of a sincere and nostalgic vote for the Clintons more so than it was the notion that "we're not gonna vote for a black man in my Arkansas." It's really hard to prove racism. Unless you literally go out and ask everyone who voted in these counties why they voted for McCain over Obama, the racist argument is a little flawed. The same situation holds true in West Virginia where Hillary slaughtered Obama in the primary. West Virginia loves the Clintons and I'm sure the fact that she wasn't the nominee made a lot of West Virginians fell the same way as Arkansans. You can even YouTube videos where you have all these self-identified West Virginia Democrats saying they will vote Republican if Hillary isn't the nominee. A lot of people just wrote them off and said, "Oh they'll get over it." Well, they were true to their word. Same in Kentucky.

Again, just my opinion. I have a fond love and respect for West Virginia after this primary election. "You know, like the song says, 'It's almost heaven.'" Sad
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2009, 03:20:19 PM »

What was it more of, the fact of him being black, or the terrorist/muslim rumors? Also anyone who thinks AR couldn't have gone Dem is a moron, Kerry came within single digits, and if McCain had faced an opponent of different ethnicity we could have won.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies