Sen. Tom Coburn (R-OK) still undecided about 2010.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 01:40:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  Sen. Tom Coburn (R-OK) still undecided about 2010.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Sen. Tom Coburn (R-OK) still undecided about 2010.  (Read 11373 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 04, 2009, 08:03:23 PM »

www.politics1.com is reporting that Sen. Tom Coburn is still undecided if he will seek re-election in 2010.  Coburn was supposed to decide by February or March, but now hopes to decide by the middle of June.

He did say when he was campaigning in 2004 that he would serve no more than 2 terms.  So, I wouldn't be suprised if he runs, but wouldn't be suprised if he didn't run, either.  Given his track record in Oklahoma politics, he will probably keep his word if he runs in 2010 then he won't run in 2016.

Personally, I am hoping that he doesn't run and give Gov. Brad Henry a better chance at the seat should he decide to run since he is term-limited.  Henry would still be climbing uphill in the race given Oklahoma's recent voting record, but with his popularity as governor and his relative conservatism, he could at least make the seat competitive and reduce it to lean to likely Republican instead of safe Republican.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 10:47:39 AM »

I'm certainly no fan of Henry....but pretty much anybody is better than Coburn. Let's hope he does run for Governor.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 12:30:27 PM »

A Henry/Coburn switch would be fine with me.  Would Henry just be a Ben Nelson type Senator?
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 01:17:33 PM »

A Henry/Coburn switch would be fine with me.  Would Henry just be a Ben Nelson type Senator?

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brad_Henry

"Governor Henry has taken a fairly moderate political stance as governor. He believes that abortion is not an issue that requires government interference and has a mixed view of affirmative action, supporting it in colleges but not in hiring for the bureaucracy. Henry supports expanding public healthcare and holding HMOs accountable for poor care; however, he also is in favor of upholding the death penalty and is against gun control. The governor supports tax cuts for the lower and middle classes and believes in keeping the income tax; he also supports using the "War on Drugs" strategy to combat methanphetamine use within his state"
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 02:14:24 PM »
« Edited: May 05, 2009, 10:26:59 PM by Sir Humphrey »

"Governor Henry has taken a fairly moderate political stance as governor. He believes that abortion is not an issue that requires government interference and has a mixed view of affirmative action, supporting it in colleges but not in hiring for the bureaucracy. Henry supports expanding public healthcare and holding HMOs accountable for poor care; however, he also is in favor of upholding the death penalty and is against gun control. The governor supports tax cuts for the lower and middle classes and believes in keeping the income tax; he also supports using the "War on Drugs" strategy to combat methanphetamine use within his state"

Hm...I see nothing in there that would prevent me from supporting him, though I do question what the abortion answer means.  My death penalty position is that it should be legal but not used...he seems like a hanging judge, but that's again not a huge concern with me.

Before anyone leaps on the "War on Drugs" line, I'm pretty damn strongly opposed to the meth epidemic.  It's definitely a case where a zero tolerance approach appeals to me.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 02:53:41 PM »

Sounds absolutely perfect to me.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 09:07:29 PM »

Coburn to retire?  SAAWWWWWEEEETTTTTT!!!!!!  Seriously, our country would be MUCH better off with him out of the United States Senate.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 09:56:46 PM »

Coburn to retire?  SAAWWWWWEEEETTTTTT!!!!!!  Seriously, our country would be MUCH better off with him out of the United States Senate.

I couldn't agree more.  Though, he is the better of my two Senators.  Just marginally, though.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 10:03:15 PM »

The problem is that he hasn't announced it yet...Tongue
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 11:47:11 PM »

My death penalty position is that it should be legal but not used.

What's the point of that?
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 10:12:50 PM »

Just some points of contention:

First, if Coburn does retire, isn't he thinking of running for Governor? That could lead to a bloody GOP primary between him and Rep. Mary Fallin (OK-05). If he does retire, isn't the seat likely to be held by any generic Republican regardless, given the strongly conservative tendencies of Oklahoma's electorate?

Secondly, hasn't Henry already said that he isn't interested in running for the Senate? But it wouldn't be the first time a politician has changed his mind .. I, personally, would categorize him as a centrist Democrat.

On the death penalty, I concur with Gandhi - an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.

On abortion:
*NEVER an easy choice
*SOMETIMES the best choice
*ALWAYS a woman's choice.

There ya have it. Smiley
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 10:30:09 PM »

Both Henry and Rep. Brad Carson have said they're interested if Coburn retires, and both would be credible candidates.

I don't know if Fallin would try to oppose Coburn.  Her financial network is CfG, and Coburn is the hero of that group for all of his work to expose earmarkers of both party.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 01:00:59 AM »

I don't know if Fallin would try to oppose Coburn.  Her financial network is CfG, and Coburn is the hero of that group for all of his work to expose earmarkers of both party.

She could always switch to the Senate race instead, of course.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 01:06:53 AM »

Good point.  I'm not sure about the ease of jumping from office to office, it's certainly complicated in terms of financial transfers depending on the state, but it'd make a lot of sense.

I'd root for Carson should he be the nominee, even though I can't think of a single issue he's even really to the left of Coburn on, just because I don't care and think it'd be funny.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2009, 12:23:37 PM »

Sounds absolutely perfect to me.

state executions and DEA raids on civilian property are soooo awesome
cannonia
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.42, S: -1.30

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2009, 12:44:52 AM »

I would hate to see my favorite Senator retire so soon.  Without Coburn, we'd have a Bridge to Nowhere and a lot more pork.  Maybe it's too lonely a job trying to live up to the public's trust in the United States Senate.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2009, 02:11:24 AM »

I would hate to see my favorite Senator retire so soon.  Without Coburn, we'd have a Bridge to Nowhere and a lot more pork.  Maybe it's too lonely a job trying to live up to the public's trust in the United States Senate.

Coburn is your favorite senator??? Dude, get new role models. Tongue
cannonia
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.42, S: -1.30

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2009, 02:40:34 AM »

Corrupt ones in high office, or shallow ones on the internet?
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2009, 02:47:25 AM »

Whatever floats your boat! lol I was just playing, you're entitled to your own opinion. Smiley I just thought every Republican's favorite senator was Jim DeMint of South Carolina since he's been ranked as the most conservative senator, but I'm sure Coburn isn't that far to the left of him.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2009, 03:04:05 AM »

Coburn is very principled and stands up for what he believes in regardless of party politics, you can give him that while pointing out he's a bit of a crazytown type.... "Lesbianism is so rampant in some of the schools in Southeast Oklahoma that they'll only let one girl go to the bathroom. Now think about it."

Replacing him with the chance of Brad Henry would make me very happy.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2009, 04:11:25 AM »

I hope he stays.  He's one of my favorite Senators.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2009, 10:00:23 AM »

I hope he runs again. He is one of my top five favorite Senators along with DeMint, Sessions, Burr, and Ensign. The problem is the honest ones always term limit themselves so he will be gone in 2016. There are still a lot of FF's in the house that could get to the Senate like John Shaddegg, Jeff Flake, Marsha Blackburn, and Jason Chafetz.  Most of the OK delegation turns me off. The exceptions being Mary Fallin, and former Rep. JC Watts. However Tom Cole strikes me as a corrupt Washingtonian and it will be a sad day if he replaces Coburn. Ernest Istook and Frank LArgent are done for politically and its a shame, just like Van Hilleary and Ed Bryant in TN.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2009, 10:03:07 AM »

Obama didn't see anything wrong with him on a personal level.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2009, 07:03:03 PM »

I have to agree with Lunar. His homophobia just makes him a despicable person in my opinion, always talking about the so-called "homosexual agenda." I mean, I know it's Oklahoma and I'm sure that wins him over a lot of votes in this "values" state, but I just don't have much respect for anti-gay bigots.

Just because Obama finds him tolerable doesn't mean I have to, i.e. Jeremiah Wright, Bill Ayers, Donnie McClurkin, Rick Warren. Obama also found these people tolerable and I clearly don't.

I'll tell ya who I do like on your side of the aisle, she's not a Senator though, but Ann Coulter really cracks me up. I'm serious. I really do enjoy hearing her talk on TV. I obviously disagree with everything she says but I like her humor. More Republicans should follow her lead, I think it would help make them a little more likable. My favorite was when she endorsed Hillary over McCain, never saw that one coming! But I'm sure she only did so to sell books...
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2009, 09:56:48 PM »

-------------------------------------

I'm liking him already -for the most part.  We could always use another Blue Dog in the Senate.  Smiley
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies