BREAKING: MSNBC reports Sotomayor next SCOTUS justice (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:05:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  BREAKING: MSNBC reports Sotomayor next SCOTUS justice (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: BREAKING: MSNBC reports Sotomayor next SCOTUS justice  (Read 23520 times)
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« on: May 11, 2009, 08:27:05 PM »

I would love to see Napolitano get the job.  Someone on some message board suggested that he appoint Michelle!  That would be awesome!
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 09:46:02 PM »

Someone on some message board suggested that he appoint Michelle!  That would be awesome!

Because it worked so well for Bill Clinton Roll Eyes

It might also be illegal.

And you should get a sense of humor...
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 03:22:51 PM »

Two more names (serious suggestions):

Lisa Madigan
http://www.illinoisattorneygeneral.gov/

Anne Milgram
http://www.nj.gov/oag/oag/ag_bio.htm

unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 03:26:04 PM »

Picking Lisa Madigan would make it seem as if he is clearing the primary for his basketball buddy

So?
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 03:29:23 PM »

This looks very bad.  Obama does not want to look bad.  Therefore, she would be a poor choice.

He probably won't pick her for that exact reason, but she would be a great pick IMO.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 11:51:18 AM »

I would like to hear details about this case before I state my opinion.  On principle I don't agree with her decision either but I would like to know what led her to it.
Also, she ruled against the Hispanic side of the fighter-fighters' lawsuit, funny enough, although for the African-Americans.

Not that I agree with her.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 02:42:16 PM »

Phil, come on you really think Thomas was qualified?  The only reason he was picked was because Bush had to pick an AA to replace Marshall and an ultra-conservative because you guys were pissed his first pick was a moderate like Souter and the only black guy he could find who fit that description was Thomas.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 06:03:18 PM »

Speaking of the devil...

Glenn Beck shows his class once again via his Twitter account:

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2009/05/glenn-beck-can-messiah-obama-heal-sotomayors-diabetes.php

''Does the nominee still have Diabetes? Could the Messiah heal her, or does she just not want to ask? What is protocal (sic) on miracle healings?''

Beck is such a prick.  But his inability to spell is amusing
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 09:56:45 PM »

I am pleased that there will finally be a second Latino on the Supreme Court(haha no one has heard of Benjamin Cardozo?).

Cardozo was a Sephardi Jew of Portuguese descent, i.e. not a Latino.

Even the Portuguese connection is very tenuous: the family left the Iberian peninsula for the Netherlands during the Inquisition, then went to England, and then came to America before the Revolution.
Hey come on man, my race doesn't have very many accomplishments in this country. Tongue

Hispanics are not a race.  And the Portuguese are obviously not Hispanic.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 10:24:28 PM »

This might have been discussed already, but the only thing (other than the affirmative action elements to Obama's stated criteria in choosing a nominee, although Sotomayor certainly seems well qualified, so I'm not as concerned at this point) that concerns me is her opinion in Ricci v. DeStefano.  Does anyone have any insights on this?  I haven't seen much analysis of this decision, perhaps since the case is still pending before the Supreme Court.

There's really nothing wrong with AA when it comes to Supreme Court appointments IMO.  I think it's actually a good thing.  I'm against making appointments based on race or other criteria when it comes to Cabinet positions, but that's because every secretary has a specific job and you must pick the best person.  Everyone on the Supreme Court however does the same job, so I think it is right that everyone is represented.

The firefighters case bothers me too to be honest.  It really depends though on the reasons why she reached that decision.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 12:14:09 AM »

The only thing Hispanic about Cardozo is his name.  Portuguese in case someone didn't know is a different language than Spanish.  He's not Latino either. The term is meant to describe immigrants or descendants of immigrants from Latin America, not European countries like Portugal
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies