BREAKING: MSNBC reports Sotomayor next SCOTUS justice
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:09:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  BREAKING: MSNBC reports Sotomayor next SCOTUS justice
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11
Author Topic: BREAKING: MSNBC reports Sotomayor next SCOTUS justice  (Read 23306 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: May 25, 2009, 08:18:42 PM »

Some massively under qualified person, whoever it is, to replace the person who was massively under qualified when they were appointed.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #151 on: May 25, 2009, 08:24:47 PM »

Not so much a judgment on the current President, or the retiring Justice, just a plain and simple fact that the quality of the average Supreme Court Justice has rapidly gone down hill over the last 60 years.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #152 on: May 25, 2009, 10:07:09 PM »

My prediction remains Wood.  She's relatively older so less threatening.  Kagan is also less threatening since she's already been approved.  Both would pass supposed they pass vetting.

Wildcard/hopeful pick remains Karlan. *crosses fingers*
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #153 on: May 26, 2009, 05:26:50 AM »

According to the New York Times it's down to the Final Four:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/26/us/politics/26court.html?_r=1&hp

"The president has narrowed his list to four, according to people close to the White House — two federal appeals judges, Sonia Sotomayor of New York and Diane P. Wood of Chicago, and two members of his administration, Solicitor General Elena Kagan and Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano."

I still say that Napolitano is a red herring and that Obama wants to leave Kagan as Solicitor General for a couple of years before he elevates her to the Supreme Court.

So, if the NYT is correct, the big final is between Sotomayor and Wood.

(paging Ogre Mage...) 
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #154 on: May 26, 2009, 08:13:24 AM »

MSNBC says Sotomayor:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30938978/

And NYT just txted me saying the announcement will be at 10:15am today.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #155 on: May 26, 2009, 08:33:28 AM »

Kagan would've been a much better pick.  Still, at least he's likely to get more appointments than just this one.

At 55, she's the same age Sam Alito was when he was appointed.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #156 on: May 26, 2009, 08:36:06 AM »

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2009/05/26/behind_obamas_announcement.html

Why was Napolitano seriously considered?

Kagan would've been a much better pick.  Still, at least he's likely to get more appointments than just this one.

At 55, she's the same age Sam Alito was when he was appointed.

Sotomayor doesn't seem to be all that bad. Granted it would be nice to have a non-appeals court justice on the Court, but she could add some spice (pun not intended) to the bench.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #157 on: May 26, 2009, 08:41:24 AM »

Sotomayor doesn't seem to be all that bad. Granted it would be nice to have a non-appeals court justice on the Court, but she could add some spice (pun not intended) to the bench.

Not bad, no, but not my first or second choice.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #158 on: May 26, 2009, 09:07:40 AM »

Watching CNN. Reporter saying a WH official says of the shortlist candidates, Obama knew the least about Sotomayor and she won it in the interview. Mostly through her passion for the law and her life story.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #159 on: May 26, 2009, 09:19:14 AM »

Not terribly surprised, but then again who is.

I don't see how she doesn't get confirmed unless there's something terrible out there we're missing.  The stuff that's already out there is simply too weak.

My general impression having read her past 2nd circuit opinions is that she is no great intellect.  I found her writing and reasoning to be quite pedestrian, not unlike Alito, now that I think about it.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #160 on: May 26, 2009, 09:20:49 AM »

great bold decision Barack...PSYCHE
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #161 on: May 26, 2009, 09:21:06 AM »

Does it help or hurt that she saved baseball? Tongue
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #162 on: May 26, 2009, 09:25:04 AM »

I find it funny that Politico still can't find a color photo to headline
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #163 on: May 26, 2009, 09:32:22 AM »

Republicans plan to pound a videotape in which Sotomayor said on a Duke University Law School panel in 2005 that the “court of appeals is where policy is made”

“And I know,” she added, “I know this is on tape, and I should never say that because we don’t make law. I know. O.K. I know. I’m not promoting it. I’m not advocating it. I’m — you know.”

Of the four widely reported finalists, Sotomayor was the one Republicans said they would complain most loudly about, and conservative legal groups attacked within minutes after Obama’s selection was reported.

Read more: "Breaking: Obama nominates Sonia Sotomayor - Mike Allen and Jonathan Martin - POLITICO.com" - http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0509/22962_Page2.html#ixzz0Gcgpl6SN&A

Hopefully this won't end up being like Caroline Kennedy.  I hope she'll have a better explanation than that...
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #164 on: May 26, 2009, 09:37:03 AM »

Republicans plan to pound a videotape in which Sotomayor said on a Duke University Law School panel in 2005 that the “court of appeals is where policy is made”

“And I know,” she added, “I know this is on tape, and I should never say that because we don’t make law. I know. O.K. I know. I’m not promoting it. I’m not advocating it. I’m — you know.”

Of the four widely reported finalists, Sotomayor was the one Republicans said they would complain most loudly about, and conservative legal groups attacked within minutes after Obama’s selection was reported.

Read more: "Breaking: Obama nominates Sonia Sotomayor - Mike Allen and Jonathan Martin - POLITICO.com" - http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0509/22962_Page2.html#ixzz0Gcgpl6SN&A

Hopefully this won't end up being like Caroline Kennedy.  I hope she'll have a better explanation than that...

She'll get coached to or come up with a better explanation (even though I agree the answer given there is terrible and once again shows signs of a pedestrian intellect). 

That is far from enough however.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #165 on: May 26, 2009, 09:39:51 AM »

I'm sure Obama's team has already found an explanation for that. It's a pretty easy find.

FoxNews doesn't seem to be hitting back to hard just yet. I imagine by the time we see BillO or Hanitty tonight we can expect YouTube videos, angry rants and the shaping of the conservative message.

Of course, I spoke too soon. Already pulled a quote where Sotomayor says a Hispanic woman would make better decisions than a white male.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #166 on: May 26, 2009, 09:45:07 AM »

I'm sure Obama's team has already found an explanation for that. It's a pretty easy find.

FoxNews doesn't seem to be hitting back to hard just yet. I imagine by the time we see BillO or Hanitty tonight we can expect YouTube videos, angry rants and the shaping of the conservative message.

Of course, I spoke too soon. Already pulled a quote where Sotomayor says a Hispanic woman would make better decisions than a white male.

Actually there is no need for elaborate explanation.
Just read Anonymous Liberal's post where he explains what Sotomayor meant:

http://www.anonymousliberal.com/2009/05/more-republican-judicial-clowning.html
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #167 on: May 26, 2009, 09:46:03 AM »

http://www.politico.com/blogs/glennthrush/0509/Five_GOP_Sens_voted_for_Sotomayor_in_98.html

Senate Republicans, led by then-Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott (R-Miss.), blocked her nomination by Bill Clinton to the Second Circuit for an entire year, arguing -- presciently -- that she was being tapped in preparation for a SCOTUS appointment.

Sens. Robert Bennett (R-Utah), Thad Cochran (R-Miss.), Susan Collins (R-Maine), Orrin Hatch (R-Utah), Judd Gregg (R-N.H.), Richard Lugar (R-Ind.) and Olympia Snowe (R-Maine) joined a unanimous slate of Dems in pushing Sotomayor through by a vote of 68-28.

Among the 29 Republican nays were current Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Kent.), Minority Whip John Kyl (R-Ariz.), ranking Judiciary Committee member Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) and John McCain (R-Ariz.).

Past performance is no guarantee of future votes — and Sotomayor is already being targeted by conservative groups over comments she's made suggesting an activist streak.

On the other hand, she's the first Hispanic to be nominated for the high court — and every GOP leader with a pulse knows that opposing her could accelerate the stampede of Latinos out of the GOP in the southwest, west and Texas.

McCain, who has been extraordinarily sensitive to those trends (if unable to fight them) might be the real bellwether here: He's been a pretty reliable GOP soldier on SCOTUS, so if he breaks from his party early — or had really nice things to say about Sotomayor — it could be a sign that Sotomayor will have an easy time.

Also look out for what associates of Daddy Bush (Jim Baker, etc.), who first appointed her to the federal bench, have to say.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #168 on: May 26, 2009, 09:48:46 AM »

Actually there is no need for elaborate explanation.
Just read Anonymous Liberal's post where he explains what Sotomayor meant:

http://www.anonymousliberal.com/2009/05/more-republican-judicial-clowning.html

yeah the actual video shows her basically immediately correcting herself, more harmless than I had thought, but still damaging when taken out of context
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #169 on: May 26, 2009, 10:15:48 AM »

I'm guessing around 65-70 votes for her.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #170 on: May 26, 2009, 10:26:58 AM »

She is a big time activist. She tries to legislate Affirmative Action in new forms and rule her cases based upon ethnicity and sex.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #171 on: May 26, 2009, 10:30:49 AM »

Democrats should hope for the Republicans to oppose her.

I bet the optics of a bunch of rich, white guys voting against a Hispanic woman who overcame poverty and rose to the top of the judicial field will do wonders for the popularity of the Republican party among Latinos and women.

Question: How will Mel Martinez vote?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #172 on: May 26, 2009, 10:49:28 AM »

Question: How will Mel Martinez vote?

Who cares? He's gone at the end of his term no matter what.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #173 on: May 26, 2009, 10:51:47 AM »

http://www.politico.com/blogs/glennthrush/0509/Rahm_gave_Snowe_a_headsup.html

Snowe's statement:

“Indisputably, this is an historic selection, as Sonia Sotomayor is just the third woman to be nominated to The Court and the first Hispanic American. I commend President Obama for nominating a well-qualified woman, as I urged him to do during a one-on-one meeting on a variety of issues in the Oval Office earlier this month.

“I also appreciate that White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel called me personally this morning to inform me of the President's selection."
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #174 on: May 26, 2009, 10:54:01 AM »

gutless
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies