Will the Republicans split into the Libertarian Party and Christian Party? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:35:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Will the Republicans split into the Libertarian Party and Christian Party? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will the Republicans split into the Libertarian Party and Christian Party?  (Read 8229 times)
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« on: April 18, 2009, 12:52:03 PM »

Will the Republicans split into the Libertarian Party and Christian Party?   There seems to be a large anti-tax uprising (the Tea Party Protests) along with some Republicans (Megan McCain, Steve Schmidt) saying that the GOP should endorse Gay Marriage.  These two ideas are really similar to the Libertarian position, which is that government should stay out of people's business, wallets, and private lives.  At the same time the Evangelical Christians are without a clear, strong GOP supporter other than Mike Huckabee and I've heard many don't believe that the Republicans really don't stand up for them since the GOP never stopped abortions, brought prayer back to schools, or did anything that the Christians support.  The GOP only said they would during elections but when they were in power, they didn't follow through.

It seems like the Libertarian group and the Christian group are increasingly at odds with each other.  Will they split?  Should they?

Because the Republican Party is now the minority, such a split would ensure one dominant party and two marginal parties in opposition.  The desire of those seeking such a split is that the Libertarian and Christian groups could cut into support for the Democratic Party. The Democratic Party could always co-opt such an issue as Gay Marriage.

I know people don't like me bringing up local politics, but I could see a Democratic schism just as easily and this is simply looking at things within a 20 mile radius of me.  This is a generalization, I know, but you have African American Dems, urban yuppie/professor white Dems, ethnic white union Dems, and soccer mom suburban Dems.  All of the above seemed to be pretty united fairly well this past election save a few union white Dems that weren't crazy about voting for a black guy.  In 2004, the Christian Right and Big Business were in harmony and that's why they won while the Democrats were split and arguing.  It's all a matter of who's united and who's split.

That said, I don't regret my vote for Obama, but one thing I've noticed is some blacks I've come across act like now that Obama's president, they can afford to be a bit more cocky, entitled, and black guys are getting more aggressive with white women at clubs.  Myself and other union Dems I know have noticed this and there are people I know who aren't happy with it.  I've even heard some blacks suggest that Obama is an "uncle Tom" and would rather have a Cynthia McKinney or Al Sharpton as president.  I'm not kidding.  Thankfully that will never happen.   

When you think about it, you can really have multiple parties/coalitions like they do in Germany  or Italy in this country.  Where would I fall in?  Probably as a union Dem, but then again a lot of them are more socially conservative than I because I'm pro-choice and pro-gay marriage.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies