Will the Republicans split into the Libertarian Party and Christian Party? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:38:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Will the Republicans split into the Libertarian Party and Christian Party? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will the Republicans split into the Libertarian Party and Christian Party?  (Read 8234 times)
retromike22
United States

« on: April 18, 2009, 02:17:49 AM »

Will the Republicans split into the Libertarian Party and Christian Party?   There seems to be a large anti-tax uprising (the Tea Party Protests) along with some Republicans (Megan McCain, Steve Schmidt) saying that the GOP should endorse Gay Marriage.  These two ideas are really similar to the Libertarian position, which is that government should stay out of people's business, wallets, and private lives.  At the same time the Evangelical Christians are without a clear, strong GOP supporter other than Mike Huckabee and I've heard many don't believe that the Republicans really don't stand up for them since the GOP never stopped abortions, brought prayer back to schools, or did anything that the Christians support.  The GOP only said they would during elections but when they were in power, they didn't follow through.

It seems like the Libertarian group and the Christian group are increasingly at odds with each other.  Will they split?  Should they?
retromike22
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 03:55:07 PM »

I think that the Libertarian Party has the potential to bring recently converted Democrats (Republicans who left the party because of social issue differences) into their party.

And the Christian Party could very well be moderate on economic issues, which could convince many conservative Democrats in the South to join it.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 10:33:08 PM »

I think that most of the Republicans who have joined the Democrats recently have done it because of the recent Bush-era problems, not because of a change in political ideology.

To expand on what I meant when I started this topic, I believe that the Republican party cannot contain both libertarians and social conservatives.  So two new parties should be created to see which of the two is stronger against the Democrats.  I don't believe that is will be 50% Dem, 25% Lib, 25% Christian, because some Democrats (especially new ones) may move to either of the two new parties.

I think that the ideology would be something like this:

Democratic Party: Social Liberal/Economic Liberal (liberal to moderate democrats)
Libertarian Party: Social Liberal/Economic Conservative ("new" democrats who recently converted in the past years, moderate Republicans,  pro-business republicans)
Christian Party: Social Conservative/Economic Liberal (social conservative Republicans, current conservative Democrats)

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies