Prime Minister of Nepal resigns
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:40:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Prime Minister of Nepal resigns
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Prime Minister of Nepal resigns  (Read 1133 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 04, 2009, 07:58:15 PM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/8032389.stm

A former communist Freedom Fighter steps down. Sad.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 09:45:03 PM »

You have no clue how horrible communists are. They claim to be fighting for a classless society when in reality they destroy the lives of people from all classes in rural India and Nepal. At least in Nepal some were fighting against a monarchy, but in India they are just bandits looking for a way to make some cash. Even these Nepali communists are basically a band of criminals who take up a political cause to justify their actions.
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 09:49:17 PM »

This was inevitable from the moment the Maoist began fighting with the military. i feel proud I predicted this two days ago.

That said the bad guys beat the really bad guys here. These Maoist cut off limbs and kidnap kids.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 12:09:39 AM »
« Edited: May 05, 2009, 12:19:41 AM by sbane »

A good article on how "freedom fighting" these maoists are. Admittedly this is not in Nepal, but one would be naive to think these people don't have contact with the Nepalese maoists.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/195669

Also a map of the most Naxal affected districts in India. Look at how all of Eastern India is affected, including areas bordering eastern Nepal.

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 01:52:21 AM »

India isn't comparable to Nepal. India is a functioning democracy, Nepal was a rather despotic regime. And after that regime crumbled the Maoists agreed to take part in multi-party democracy with free elections.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 02:00:02 AM »

India isn't comparable to Nepal. India is a functioning democracy, Nepal was a rather despotic regime. And after that regime crumbled the Maoists agreed to take part in multi-party democracy with free elections.

I was just pointing out that these people aren't close to being freedom fighters. Of course there aren't many good options in Nepal.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 02:00:36 AM »

I was just pointing out that these people aren't close to being freedom fighters. Of course there aren't many good options in Nepal.

They helped oust the king and quit fighting after that. That's Freedom Fighting.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 02:02:32 AM »

They helped oust the king and quit fighting after that. That's Freedom Fighting.

And committed their fair share of atrocities along the way.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 07:05:10 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Reminds me of that line (quoting from memory) "being called a murderer, okay, I have to live with that. Nobody is perfect, and I haven't been. But being called a murderer by the police? What a fucking joke."

Forming a joint army from the former warring forces was a condition of the negotiated settlement.  (In NI too, much of the post-Good Friday stumbling was due to Unionist sabotaging of the creation of a new integrated police force.)

The article also doesn't ask the real question, which is "will other parties be able to form a government without the Maoists?" Because if not, expect new elections shortly, and more Maoists after. And then, either progress on the issue this is about, or an army coup.

Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 03:52:32 PM »

The article also doesn't ask the real question, which is "will other parties be able to form a government without the Maoists?" Because if not, expect new elections shortly, and more Maoists after. And then, either progress on the issue this is about, or an army coup.

The Assembly elected a NC President over a CPN(M) candidate last year, so an opposition coalition is definitely possible.

IIRC, t'was a NC-CPN(UML)-MJF coalition.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies