Opinion of Obama's handling of the Somali Pirates hostage situation
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 04:33:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Opinion of Obama's handling of the Somali Pirates hostage situation
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Opinion of Obama's handling of the Somali Pirates hostage situation
Strongly Approve

Approve

Disapprove

Strongly Disapprove

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 33

Author Topic: Opinion of Obama's handling of the Somali Pirates hostage situation  (Read 3086 times)
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2009, 10:46:13 PM »

RB, neither of us are military experts that could POSSIBLY know what the hell we're talking about with this operation, agree?

the people at the Pentagon are experts in this, agree?

So, what is your complaint, exactly?
 That the experts, who know a billion times more than you know about an operation, and would have no reason to delay it beyond necessity, took too long?  That Obama wasn't aggressive enough in pressuring the Pentagon to act?

Yes, they do know more than I do. But from an average citizen's perspective, it seems like a long time with no action being done. I don't understand why they didn't try to do anything when the captain made his first attempt to escape.

What should they have done, exactly?  It was in the middle of the night.  Open fire when you're unprepared to guarantee that all of them will die instantly, and when one of the Somalis is in the water (difficult to shoot at).

Please, elaborate.

What should Obama have done when he attempted his escape.

I don't know. Like I said I'm not an expert, but just letting him get recaptured wasn't the best option was it? And Obama shouldn't have done anything, he would have been notified too late. It should have been up to the commanders in the area.

Are you retarded? Do you seriously have a mental disability? The United States military is not permitted to engage in any military operations, aside from returning direct fire, without the express permission of the Commander-in-Chief.

The captain was a civilian. The regional commanders had to get permission from the C-in-C to intervene. His response was timely and appropriate, and the mission was a success.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2009, 10:47:05 PM »

Approve for once.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2009, 10:48:18 PM »

RB, neither of us are military experts that could POSSIBLY know what the hell we're talking about with this operation, agree?

That the experts, who know a billion times more than you know about an operation, and would have no reason to delay it beyond necessity, took too long?  That Obama wasn't aggressive enough in pressuring the Pentagon to act?

Yes, they do know more than I do. But from an average citizen's perspective, it seems like a long time with no action being done. I don't understand why they didn't try to do anything when the captain made his first attempt to escape.

What should they have done, exactly?  It was in the middle of the night.  Open fire when you're unprepared to guarantee that all of them will die instantly, and when one of the Somalis is in the water (difficult to shoot at).

Please, elaborate.

I don't know. Like I said I'm not an expert, but just letting him get recaptured wasn't the best option was it? And Obama shouldn't have done anything, he would have been notified too late. It should have been up to the commanders in the area.

Are you retarded? Do you seriously have a mental disability? The United States military is not permitted to engage in any military operations, aside from returning direct fire, without the express permission of the Commander-in-Chief.

The captain was a civilian. The regional commanders had to get permission from the C-in-C to intervene. His response was timely and appropriate, and the mission was a success.

Hey, just FYI, I am going to ignore everyone of your posts from now on. Kthx.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2009, 10:49:09 PM »

Please, elaborate.

OH NOEZ, LOGIC MIGHT PENETRATE THE PARTISAN FOG OF IRRATIONALITY CLOUDING MY MIND! MUST PRESERVE STATUS QUO!
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2009, 10:53:27 PM »

Please, elaborate.

OH NOEZ, LOGIC MIGHT PENETRATE THE PARTISAN FOG OF IRRATIONALITY CLOUDING MY MIND! MUST PRESERVE STATUS QUO!

No, I'll just stop feeding the troll and he'll go away.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2009, 10:55:08 PM »

I really don't see how he could have handled it any better although I'll admit that I didn't bother paying that much attention to the whole thing.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2009, 10:56:13 PM »

Please, elaborate.

No, I'll just stop feeding the troll and he'll go away.

'Troll'? No, I'm not trolling, you douchebag. I'll tell you when I am trolling you. And you will know. I am correcting your many, blatant, intentional stupidities.

The United States Armed Services are not allowed to engage in combat, save when they are under fire, without permission. The captain was a civilian. Put two and two together, chief; rub those tired old brain cells together: they had to get permission from the President to engage in a rescue mission. That required Obama to know about it first, and to receive a strategy from the Pentagon. The Pentagon, in turn, altered its initial rescue plan once news of his attempted escape broke. And it took time to get the SEALS in position.

That's why it took three days. You are whining because you are a whiner.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2009, 10:57:15 PM »

RB: so what is your complaint exactly.  please, elaborate, that as an "average citizen" in a situation you admittedly know nothing about, in a thread 100% about Obama that you admittedly acknowledge that he had almost nothing to do with, that the military commanders on the ground exhibited poor judgment by not moving forward with their actions sooner in a mission that ended up as a perfect success?

forgive me if I am a bit confused
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2009, 11:03:03 PM »

RB: so what is your complaint exactly.  please, elaborate, that as an "average citizen" in a situation you admittedly know nothing about, in a thread 100% about Obama that you admittedly acknowledge that he had almost nothing to do with, that the military commanders on the ground exhibited poor judgment by not moving forward with their actions sooner in a mission that ended up as a perfect success?

For the record, I did vote strongly approve in the poll. I just feel it should have done a little quicker. But, if you say that they needed that time to make the plan, then I'll take your word for it. It's just a bit disconcerting to have an American in harms way, never knowing when they will decide to pull the trigger, and the government seemed to not be doing anything(even though they were doing things behind the scenes).
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2009, 11:05:16 PM »

For the record, I did vote strongly approve in the poll. I just feel it should have done a little quicker.

It couldn't have been done any faster! This was a fast rescue operation. In P'tahn Nien in Vietnam, for instance, it took two weeks for the Nixon Administration to receive word of the capture of four American snipes, and another week and a half to maneuver Rangers into the area to commence a rescue operation. And it was still a success.

I was actually surprised at how quickly it was done.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2009, 11:06:22 PM »
« Edited: April 12, 2009, 11:10:37 PM by Lunar »

RB, I don't know 100% that they needed more time to save him, I'm the opposite of a military expert.  But I can logically deduce that these operations are enormously complex and require careful planning, which takes time, in order to maximize their odds of success.  Their failure to react in a surprise situation (the captain jumping off the boat in the middle of the night), could perhaps be a failure.  It's difficult to tell.

But I trust that the people who have worked their whole life towards this sort of thing, as of now, before I find out any more information [as of now, I barely know anything], in which they ended up with a perfect success...probably did the right thing at the right time.  When we find out more deets we'll have the better opportunity to critique.

Again, I think the default explanation is that Obama was a rubber stamp, until we hear otherwise from objective sources (I doubt the White House will promote this aspect of the story haha).  Probably a few photo ops and exaggerations are in order?
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2009, 11:09:49 PM »
« Edited: April 12, 2009, 11:11:21 PM by Einzige »

Moreover, there are a lot of things to assess in undertaking a search-and-rescue mission. It is the policy of the State Department never to put American soldiers in harms way if they are likely to fail at their mission; consequently, the government would have had to ascertain the number of enemy combatants in the area to ensure an adequate counter-force was applied.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2009, 11:13:29 PM »

Very unimportant.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2009, 11:17:23 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

What needs to happen is that the French and Americans and English need to put pressure on the locals not to tolerate the pirates any longer. We can continue to blow pirates to Hell from now until kingdom come, but until domestic opinion is against them and they are pressured out of existence, they will still have safe havens to operate from.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2009, 12:00:20 AM »

For lasting competent™ leadership please re-elect President Barack Obama in 2012

and visit:

www.barackobama.com

Thank You Very Much !

Honorary mention: www.navy.mil
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2009, 02:36:06 AM »

Strongly approve.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2009, 03:27:01 AM »

What was Obama's handling exactly?  Not disapproving the Pentagon's request and like, staying silent on questions, upon request?
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2009, 06:08:09 AM »

What was Obama's handling exactly?  Not disapproving the Pentagon's request and like, staying silent on questions, upon request?

"Good show, old sport. Now we musn't do anything to upset the Republicans, else they won't sit with us at the country club luncheon tomorrow."
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2009, 07:46:01 AM »

Approve.  The situation has been handled well so far, but now we need a strong response to put an end to this kind of activity altogether.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2009, 11:26:02 AM »

A joke.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2009, 03:40:02 PM »

GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2009, 03:44:08 PM »

Yes, this is the correct way of dealing with these criminals (or enemies of mankind, if you prefer), but it won't solve the problem on its own.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies