Attn. Justices: Atlasia v. Southeast (Case Closed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:48:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Attn. Justices: Atlasia v. Southeast (Case Closed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Attn. Justices: Atlasia v. Southeast (Case Closed)  (Read 4536 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« on: April 09, 2009, 06:26:22 PM »
« edited: April 22, 2009, 04:29:34 AM by AG Marokai Blue »

I would like to bring to the court's attention the case of 'Atlasia v Southeast'

More information, simply for the court's convenience so we can get started sooner.
(Clarification, I'm suing the government of the Southeast/Governor Duke, not the region itself, if that wasn't obvious.)

The following initiative was passed in the Southeast Region:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Article 1, Section 5 (Powers of the Senate), Clause 8 of the Constitution of Atlasia states:

Article 1, Section 7 (Powers Denied to the Regions), Clause 2 of the Constitution of Atlasia states:

My case is as follows:

As such, I will now be bringing charges to the court against the Southeast Region on the grounds that they have violated Article 1, Section 7, Clause 2 of the Constitution of Atlasia with the "Freedom of Currency Amendment."

(I would like it stated that I was unsure how to sue an entire region, compared to previous cases against individuals or groups of people.)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 02:45:16 AM »

Thank you, Mr. Governor. I will be absent on Friday, so I will probably not be able to argue until Saturday.

I have no objections to this, since I have a pounding headache and can barely breathe at the moment. Sad I should recover somewhat by then.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 01:20:28 AM »
« Edited: April 15, 2009, 01:22:24 AM by AG Marokai Blue »

Atlasia v. Southeast
[Attorney General Marokai Blue, Senator SPC; Arguing]

Statement of Facts

The initiative passed at the center of this case, the "Freedom of Currency Amendment," states:

April 4th {2:53 PM Eastern Time}: Governor Duke opens the voting booth for three different Southeast voter initiatives. One of these is the "Freedom of Currency Amendment"
April 9th {1:06 AM Eastern Time}: The "Freedom of Currency Amendment" passes 4-1, and is certified by Governor Duke.
April 9th {1:34 PM Eastern Time}: Senators Bacon King, Lief, and HappyWarrior requested my office take a look at the possibility of suing the region of the Southeast over the alleged unconstitutionality of the aforementioned "Freedom of Currency Amendment."
April 9th {7:26 PM Eastern Time}: As I had been considering for some time, I directed the Justice Department to press charges against the government of the Southeast for violating the Constitution of Atlasia, and brought the case to the attention of the court.

Question(s) Presented:

The question at the center of the case is the constitutionality of the Freedom of Currency Amendment passed by the voters of the Southeast, and if it subsequently is to be overturned by the court, as well as the power of all regions to issue or recognize currency outside that which is established by the Senate of Atlasia.

Argument:

The Constitution of Atlasia quite clearly references the federally recognized currency, the Dollar, established by the Senate of the Republic of Atlasia, as the sole currency of the country, and explicitly forbids any regional government from instituting currencies of their own.

Article 1, Section 5, Clause 8, of the Constitution of Atlasia states:
https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Article_I_of_the_Second_Constitution#Section_5:_Powers_of_the_Senate

Article 1, Section 7, Clause 2 of the Constitution of Atlasia states:
https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Article_I_of_the_Second_Constitution#Section_7:_Powers_denied_to_the_Regions

SPC supposedly has "other interpretations" of what is referenced above, though I don't see how one could possibly try to weasel their way out of such clear clauses. Presumably the defense will argue that the Freedom of Currency Amendment is "voluntary" and as such no legal tender is officially recognized.

This is shaky legal reasoning, as having the policy that "voluntary" initiatives skirting legal limits would put other limits on regional power in doubt, such as not entering in formal agreements or pacts with foreign powers. [Which is forbidden in Article 1, Section 7, Clause 8] What if there was no official recognition? What if "observing the agreement" was done voluntarily and off the record? Would that allow regional governments to enter into pacts with foreign powers without the consent of the federal government? Surely not. The same could be said for titles of nobility, or a number of other things, explicitly denied to the regions.

Even if, for the sake of argument, we were to entertain this notion that "voluntary recognition" is not formal recognition of legal tender, the "Freedom of Currency Amendment" still violates the Constitution by taking the Dollar out of circulation and issuing "Dixies" in it's stead, and Article 1, Section 7, Clause 2 of the Constitution forbids any region from "issuing" (the Freedom of Currency Amendment refers to this process as "circulating" currency, which has a virtually identical definition to "issue" in verb form) any currency outside of the currency(ies) recognized by the Senate.

Conclusion:

There is no legal rationale for the constitutionality of the "Freedom of Currency Amendment" and as such it should be overturned by the Supreme Court. No region has the power to issue or recognize as legal tender, any other currency but that which is established by the Senate.

I would also request that, should the Court rule against the Southeast on the matter of constitutionality of the "Freedom of Currency Amendment", the power of the regions to issue or recognize any currency other than that which is established by the Senate be clarified as, without a doubt, non-existent.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 11:36:25 PM »

If I may:

What exactly does the bill do then, if we're to accept your reasoning here, Senator?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 11:42:03 PM »

If I may:

What exactly does the bill do then, if we're to accept your reasoning here, Senator?

It does what it says it does. It takes Atlasian dollars out of circulation via exchange and circulates currency issued by someone else.

And you see no conflict with the Constitution by taking the federally mandated currency out of circulation and recognizing another?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 11:46:06 PM »

Is the peanut gallery allowed comment? I am unaware of court procedure.

Perhaps creating a second thread on the other board for commentary would be an appropriate precaution.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 09:59:36 PM »

If I may:

It does what it says it does. It takes Atlasian dollars out of circulation via exchange and circulates currency issued by someone else.

And you see no conflict with the Constitution by taking the federally mandated currency out of circulation and recognizing another?

There is nothing in the Constitution prohibiting states from taking in federally mandated currency and not spending it. The region isn't "recognizing" another currency in the Constitutional sense, since it is not making it legal tender.

The Dixies will become a de-facto currency, by basically taking away all other options but the Dixies though, will it not?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 04:30:15 AM »

I just wanted to state that I'm going to go ahead and tack the "Case Closed" marker to the thread title, and I wanted to thank the court for their ruling. Smiley
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies