Attn. Justices: Atlasia v. Benconstine (Case Closed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:36:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Attn. Justices: Atlasia v. Benconstine (Case Closed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Attn. Justices: Atlasia v. Benconstine (Case Closed)  (Read 2089 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 16, 2009, 11:40:39 PM »
« edited: April 17, 2009, 08:02:28 PM by AG Marokai Blue »

I would like to bring to the court's attention the case of Atlasia v.s Benconstine. Ben has been charged with violating the Voting Whilst Banned Act (and by doing so, violating a court ordered punishment of a 13 week voting ban).

The details can be viewed here: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=94114.msg1970390#msg1970390

I hope we can get off the ground fairly quickly.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 11:47:22 PM »

For the record, it seems all traces of this law's debate and passage have been deleted.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 11:48:56 PM »

For the record, it seems all traces of this law's debate and passage have been deleted.

Hm? https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=93946.0
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 11:49:31 PM »

It remains, but for some reason the link from the Wiki is broken. I thought it was deleted earlier myself.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 11:51:02 PM »

Eh, now I feel stupid. Well that's something in the Wiki that should be fixed. Good we found that.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 12:37:53 AM »

I would like to offer my services as defense counsel for Benconstine, if he accepts.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 12:42:53 AM »

I would like to offer my services as defense counsel for Benconstine, if he accepts.

Aren't you getting ahead of yourself? He might plead guilty! Wink
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 12:46:22 AM »

Aren't you getting ahead of yourself? He might plead guilty! Wink

I'm rearin' for a fight, so let's hope he doesn't do that. Although I wouldn't have anything against a preemptive presidential pardon. Wink
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 05:45:52 PM »

How does the defendant plea?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 05:46:45 PM »

Guilty.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 06:03:10 PM »

I do ask the court for a light sentence, as this was near the end of his punishment and no serious electoral implications are on the horizon.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 06:06:42 PM »

I do ask the court for a light sentence, as this was near the end of his punishment and no serious electoral implications are on the horizon.

First, It is the court's understanding that the defendant's previous sentence was to expire soon, for the record, when was it set to end?  And assuming the defendant had not violated the law, would he have been eligible to vote in this election?

Second, what penalty does Atlasia seek in this matter?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 06:47:58 PM »

The sentence:

[quote]
Therefore, I sentence the defendant, benconstine, to a ban from voting for a period of thirteen (13) weeks commencing on January 19, 2009 and a ban from holding office for a period of twenty-six (26) weeks commencing on the same date as above.
[quote]

By my count, the sentence ends on April 19, 2009 at 11:59 PM.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 06:51:48 PM »

First, It is the court's understanding that the defendant's previous sentence was to expire soon, for the record, when was it set to end?  And assuming the defendant had not violated the law, would he have been eligible to vote in this election?

Ben was sentenced to a 91 day voting ban, he voted roughly 4 or 5 days before his sentence was up, depending on when you interpret the punishment beginning on the 19th of Jan. It's possible Ben would have been eligible to vote on the last day of voting, but I'm unsure.

However, The Voting Whilst Banned Act states voting or even the attempt to vote is illegal while banned from doing so. Ben was under a voting ban at the time of the vote.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

A reasonable extension of his existing voting ban. A two or three week extension is fair I think, in light of the near end of his sentence, I simply seek a light sentence, I'll leave the details to the court.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2009, 06:56:08 PM »

I'm willing to take the AG's suggestion and impose his sentence of a three week extension which itself will be extended to cover the full duration of an election the defendant would otherwise be entitled to vote if such election is underway at the expiration of this sentence.

So ordered.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2009, 07:17:49 PM »

I should further note that the defendant should watch himself, this court will not take kindly to a third offense.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2009, 08:05:20 PM »

I thank the court for the swift action with which this case was dealt with. Smiley
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2009, 08:07:55 PM »

I thank the Court for giving me a light sentence.  If I may ask, exactly when will I be able to vote again?  I'd like to avoid making this same mistake again.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2009, 09:53:53 PM »

I thank the Court for giving me a light sentence.  If I may ask, exactly when will I be able to vote again?  I'd like to avoid making this same mistake again.

Three weeks from the end of your original sentence OR if there is an election on going in that period which you would have been eligible to vote in (had you not erred) at the conclusion of voting for that/those election(s)...whichever comes last.

As to not allow a scenario to allow your sentence to stretch into perpetuity, the "added" time will only count from the first eligible election that occurs during your sentence but extends beyond it.

So say on the final week of your added suspension an election (which you could have otherwise voted in, say for president), your suspension will not end until the general voting booth for that first election closes.  If say an eligible at large seat opens up a few days after (and its booth stays open a day or two longer) you can vote in that election on the days after your sentence is served.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies