Does Einzige remind you of jmfcst?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2024, 12:42:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Does Einzige remind you of jmfcst?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Does Einzige remind you of jmfcst?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 21

Author Topic: Does Einzige remind you of jmfcst?  (Read 3987 times)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2009, 01:28:21 PM »

You made it through that whole post? I couldn't make through the first paragraph. More unreadable than ANYTHING I had to read in college.

Yeah, at first I was like... no way... but then I gave it a shot. His basic ideas are actually pretty simple and not really new. He just chooses to use a lot of flowery language. He's still probably a better writer than 85% of the people on here though and we have some decent ones.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2009, 03:23:21 PM »

I generally try to read Einzige's posts. He has a way with language. His only real problem is that he probably cares too much.

^^^^^

He's probably overeducated as well.

Oh, you didn't know? He's a professor, you see...
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2009, 03:24:13 PM »

You made it through that whole post? I couldn't make through the first paragraph. More unreadable than ANYTHING I had to read in college.

Yeah, at first I was like... no way... but then I gave it a shot. His basic ideas are actually pretty simple and not really new. He just chooses to use a lot of flowery language. He's still probably a better writer than 85% of the people on here though and we have some decent ones.

Actually yeah, he is a very good writer. Among other things.

I would disagree with this (very strongly; the world doesn't work like that), but he is a better arguer than most people here; well at least when he wants to be.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2009, 03:26:30 PM »

Btw, BRTD what books exactly did you read in college?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2009, 03:40:49 PM »

I'm referring mostly to textbooks that included compilations of a lot of writings from various people. I did read a few "classics" of course, Plato's Republic, Machiavelli's Prince, but that's not what I'm referring to here.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2009, 03:42:08 PM »
« Edited: April 09, 2009, 03:45:24 PM by The Man Machine »

I'm referring mostly to textbooks that included compilations of a lot of writings from various people. I did read a few "classics" of course, Plato's Republic, Machiavelli's Prince, but that's not what I'm referring to here.

I'm amazed that Einzige's commentary was the most difficult thing you've read... for god sake man, don't they get you to read 20th Century Philosophy or literature these days. Tongue
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2009, 03:43:20 PM »

I'm amazed that Einzige's commentary was the most difficult thing you've read... for good sake man, don't they get to read 20th Century Philosophy or literature these days. Tongue

I know. Rorty is much harder to read than anything I've seen on this forum.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2009, 03:45:08 PM »

I'm amazed that Einzige's commentary was the most difficult thing you've read... for good sake man, don't they get to read 20th Century Philosophy or literature these days. Tongue

I've not read Rorty, but for this case I would recommend Heidegger and Derrida as perfect light reading... lol.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2009, 04:38:45 PM »

I've not read Rorty, but for this case I would recommend Heidegger and Derrida as perfect light reading... lol.

I can personally recommend council minutes from the early 1920's as genuinely enjoyable reading.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2009, 10:09:11 PM »

Rorty is pretty lucid and readable from my - admittedly limited - experience; what have you read by him?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2009, 10:13:07 PM »

Rorty is pretty lucid and readable from my - admittedly limited - experience; what have you read by him?

Private Irony and Liberal Hope, as well as a review of a book by Gadamer, which I actually found to be much more readable than the aforementioned essay.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2009, 10:19:46 PM »

Private Irony and Liberal Hope, as well as a review of a book by Gadamer, which I actually found to be much more readable than the aforementioned essay.

Well, if you're going to skip the introduction and first three essays in the book (have a copy of Contingency, Irony and Solidarity sitting on my nightstand as I type) then it's going to make things harder for you. Tongue The first essay ('The Contingency of Language') is great - strongly recommend going back to it and if you're interested in that sort of stuff, reading Wittgenstein's Philosophical Investigations (which I've only read bits of) as well as some continental stuff (Barthes is always good).
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2009, 10:22:07 PM »

Well, if you're going to skip the introduction and first three essays in the book (have a copy of Contingency, Irony and Solidarity sitting on my nightstand as I type) then it's going to make things harder for you. Tongue The first essay ('The Contingency of Language') is great - strongly recommend going back to it and if you're interested in that sort of stuff, reading Wittgenstein's Philosophical Investigations (which I've only read bits of) as well as some continental stuff (Barthes is always good).

That might be why. Private Irony and Liberal Hope was the first thing by Rorty that we read in Advanced Philosophy.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2009, 07:40:14 AM »

Those fellows aren't exactly popular in American Philosophy departments, though literary critics like them a lot.

People like Hilary Putnam and John Searle are much easier reads.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2009, 11:35:59 AM »

Those fellows aren't exactly popular in American Philosophy departments, though literary critics like them a lot.

People like Hilary Putnam and John Searle are much easier reads.

I know (and social scientists except economics); but as I've been trailing the roads of the philosophy of
social science recently, they are some that are mentioned. Though Searle is aswell; I have The Construction of Social Reality with me, though I admit with work I haven't got a chance to read it yet.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2009, 02:10:39 PM »

I know they're both a little nutty and can get annoying at times, but I genuinely like both of them.

Then again there's very, very few people in the world who I actually dislike...
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2009, 03:39:32 PM »

Is Robert Stark one of those very, very few?
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2009, 04:01:04 PM »

Is Robert Stark one of those very, very few?

Yes, and DC whatever, and at times Ben.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2009, 04:12:54 PM »

Sad
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2009, 04:20:01 PM »

Based on my recent experiences with him, he is insane.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2009, 03:45:55 AM »

On the bright side, he said "at times".
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2009, 06:56:21 AM »

Einzige's posts are similar to the kind of stuff I write when I'm making fun of a position. It would be funny that someone did it seriously if he wasn't such a mean-spirited fellow.

Of course, the vast difference is that Einzige hasn't grown up yet. Jmfcst is wacky in an original way, Einzige is more typical "I read Nietzsche while entering puberty."
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies