No change! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:26:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Constitutional Convention (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  No change! (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: No change!  (Read 8613 times)
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: April 05, 2009, 10:01:06 PM »

Forgive me for being a returning member who has lost touch with current events in Atlasia.  Can someone please explain to me why this Constitutional Convention is being held at all?

I read the constitution currently in effect today, and it seems to have worked just fine for several years.  I am failing to understand the reasons behind this movement to re-write it.

I oppose any plan which calls for universal membership in a lower house, or that calls for a prime minister elected by the legislative bodies.  The President (Prime Minister, whatever) should continue to be elected directly by the voters.  I would urge delegates to this Convention to vote for no changes to the constitution.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 11:08:19 PM »

Admirable objectives, but I still don't see how any of the proposals being offered accomplishes them.  People will come and go all the time (case in point:me).  As I recall from my active days here when I was the SoFA, the most fun and highly participated in event of this game is the presidential elections.  And now, you have proposals that would completely eliminate presidential elections!  This will have the opposite effect you are trying to achieve.

But hey, I know I'm jumping in on something that's been going on for a while.  Carry on with your convention.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 12:06:54 AM »

I believe that every proposal has a nationally elected President, as well as other elected offices similar to the Senate.

There was one I saw with a "Parliament" electing a "Prime Minister", that was the one I was objecting to.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'll try to do that.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 10:59:46 PM »

Having revisited the proposals currently on the table, I re-iterate my objections to any change to the current constitution.  Amend it if needed, but don't just start over.

While I realize there are many participants who are not Americans, I believe the purpose of this game is to simulate American politics.  This site is dedicated primarily to United States presidential elections (this is uselectionatlas.org).  I strongly object to the usage of terms such as "Parliament" and "Prime Minister".  That game will simulate British/Canadian style politics, rather than US, and it is my belief that such a game will not attract as many new participants as the current game does.  Someone posted that we set a new record for votes cast in the current election.  It seems the current game does attract new players.

I could perhaps go along with universalism, if the majority of Atlasians feel this is a good and needed change, and no major structural changes to the Presidency are made, and no titles are employed that are not found in use in the USA.

I don't mean to be difficult, really, but I have to express my feelings about this.  I presume any proposal passed by this Convention will be put before the voters.  I will likely vote no, and I hope that others will join me.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 08:06:10 PM »

Thanks for your agreement, Vepres.

From what I have read recently in this convention, it seems to be heading in the right direction- I think the delegates have by and large agreed that we can't have a Parliament and Prime Minister.  For now, I'm keeping my mouth shut and waiting to see what they come up with.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies