Parliamentary Bicameralism (Discussion Open)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:26:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Constitutional Convention (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Parliamentary Bicameralism (Discussion Open)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19
Author Topic: Parliamentary Bicameralism (Discussion Open)  (Read 94290 times)
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: May 22, 2009, 02:49:57 PM »

President Final Vote Tally
Aye = 8
Nay = 3
Abstain = 1

Court Final Vote Tally
Aye = 13
Nay = 0

Thank you to all those who voted, although I am disappointed by the growing number of delegates that seem to be drifting away from the Convention.

That is because this whole Convention is taking way to long.

It should not be a walk in the park. The ease with which a delegate can shape the new Constitution should be enough to garner at least more than 13 votes. Regardless, we will trudge on.

We are up to the easier parts now for this proposal. Less authentic crafting, but stickier topics.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #401 on: May 22, 2009, 04:43:25 PM »

Aye = 8
Nay = 3
Abstain = 1

Court Final Vote Tally
Aye = 13
Nay = 0

Thank you to all those who voted, although I am disappointed by the growing number of delegates that seem to be drifting away from the Convention.

This is a Convention to draft a Constitution. In case you didn't know, that's a major task and it's not an easy thing to do.
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

« Reply #402 on: May 22, 2009, 09:26:18 PM »

Aye = 8
Nay = 3
Abstain = 1

Court Final Vote Tally
Aye = 13
Nay = 0

This is a Convention to draft a Constitution. In case you didn't know, that's a major task and it's not an easy thing to do.

I understand that, I should have said picking one of the three types of Goverments are taking a long time.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #403 on: May 23, 2009, 05:41:23 PM »

Aye on the Supreme Court.

Could people explain why they're voting nay on the President section?

Because it makes the Presidency an almost useless position in a parliamentary system if they have no unique-stand-alone powers that can't be overridden by parliament.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #404 on: May 23, 2009, 08:28:13 PM »

Aye on the Supreme Court.

Could people explain why they're voting nay on the President section?

Because it makes the Presidency an almost useless position in a parliamentary system if they have no unique-stand-alone powers that can't be overridden by parliament.

The President can dissolve either branch without losing his office. That is plenty of power I think.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #405 on: May 26, 2009, 05:56:23 AM »

What is next?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #406 on: May 26, 2009, 08:22:18 AM »

Bill of rights, Constitutional amendments, Regions, Candidacy and office holding rules and Continuity of government.

The nuts and bolts.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #407 on: May 26, 2009, 10:00:26 AM »

Bill of rights, Constitutional amendments, Regions, Candidacy and office holding rules and Continuity of government.

The nuts and bolts.

Do you want them in that order?
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #408 on: May 26, 2009, 11:45:09 AM »
« Edited: May 26, 2009, 11:46:45 AM by ♠♣♦Dan♦♣♠ »

Article V: Bill of Rights
Same as Article VI

Article VI: (Don't know what to name it)

Section 1: Amendment Procedure
The Congress(Senate and House), whenever two-thirds of its number shall deem it necessary, shall propose amendments to this Constitution, which shall be valid to all intents and purposes as part of this Constitution when ratified by a two-thirds of the People voting in public polls in two-thirds of the Regions. Such votes shall last for exactly one week and shall be administered by the Head of the Region or other officer as the Law of the Region may provide. Citizens will cast their vote by public post.

Section 2: New Convention
Upon application of the citizens of a majority of the Regions, the President, with the advice and consent of the Senate, shall call a Constitutional Convention to amend or replace this Constitution. The Convention shall be constituted under regulations determined by the Senate. Such amendments or the replacement proposed by the Convention shall become operative when ratified by two-thirds of the Convention and the citizens of two-thrids of the Regions, in a public poll administered by the Head of the Region or other officer as Regional Law may provide. All public polls mandated under this section shall be via public post and shall last for exactly one week.

Article VII: Regions

Section 1: Regional Government
1. The Regions may elect a Governor as chief executive officer, and may establish other executive posts as they wish, however no executive member may be elected for a term of more than six months.
2. A Region may establish a legislature for itself to make proper laws and electoral procedures.
3. A Region may establish a judiciary for itself; However, if they choose not to, the federal Supreme Court shall arbitrate in all election disputes, but only insofar as Regional Law may provide.
4. Regions are autonomous of the federal government and may govern themselves and their elections as they wish, except where otherwise provided for in this Constitution.

Section 2: Regional Boundaries
1. The Regions shall be draw up by the Senate of Atlasia and approved by the House of Atlasia.
2. The Senate may redraw the Regional Boundaries in the months of January and July without consent of the Regions, any other time consent is required by the region(s) being changed.
3. In the event that a new State joins the Republic of Atlasia, the Senate may apportion this State to a Region via proper legislation, however, the State shall still be liable to all the provisions of this Article.

Section 3: Supremacy Clause and Restriction on Federal Government
This Constitution and the Laws of the Republic of Atlasia which shall be made in Pursuance thereof, shall be the Supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every Region shall be bound thereby, anything in the Constitution or Laws of any Region to the contrary notwithstanding.
The powers not delegated to the Republic of Atlasia by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the Regions, are reserved to the Regions respectively, or to the people.

MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #409 on: May 26, 2009, 12:12:52 PM »

It is me or the Clause 14 of the Bill of Rights give the right to vote to children?
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #410 on: May 26, 2009, 12:16:42 PM »

It is me or the Clause 14 of the Bill of Rights give the right to vote to children?

Yes, because alot of the people are under the age of 18. Duh Cheesy
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #411 on: May 26, 2009, 12:41:55 PM »

I assume than we play characters who are over 18.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #412 on: May 26, 2009, 12:51:35 PM »

I assume than we play characters who are over 18.

Most forum based government sims don't have age limits, because it really don't matter.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #413 on: May 27, 2009, 01:51:17 PM »

I bring the three following articles to a vote. Please vote on each motion individually. Please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #414 on: May 27, 2009, 02:14:47 PM »

Aye, Aye, Nay.

Regions should be abolished.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #415 on: May 27, 2009, 02:17:01 PM »

I still don't understand what harm the regions do. At best they provide a training ground for new members. At worst? They are inactive and boring. You don't gain anything by their abolition.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #416 on: May 27, 2009, 02:29:49 PM »

Aye on all three.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #417 on: May 27, 2009, 04:31:25 PM »

Yup
Yup
Nope

I still don't understand what harm the regions do. At best they provide a training ground for new members. At worst? They are inactive and boring. You don't gain anything by their abolition.

You eliminate dead weight.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #418 on: May 27, 2009, 04:33:01 PM »

Aye, Aye, Aye

I hope we make some edits later on an earlier article with some more restrictions on regional government powers though.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #419 on: May 27, 2009, 04:36:05 PM »

I don't think it's a good idea to have an entire section of the game that is "inactive and boring."
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #420 on: May 27, 2009, 04:43:47 PM »

I don't think it's a good idea to have an entire section of the game that is "inactive and boring."

That is worst case. We clearly see that some regions are not inactive and provide a vibrant training ground for new recruits. Look at how the Mideast has continued (despite your grim warnings months ago) to pump out active users. I went from Assembly member to Senator and now Dan or Persepolis will join me on that same track.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #421 on: May 27, 2009, 05:02:47 PM »

Aye on all three
Daniel Adams
Georgia

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: 2.43

« Reply #422 on: May 27, 2009, 07:44:19 PM »

Aye, Aye, Aye.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #423 on: May 27, 2009, 08:23:32 PM »

That is worst case. We clearly see that some regions are not inactive and provide a vibrant training ground for new recruits. Look at how the Mideast has continued (despite your grim warnings months ago) to pump out active users. I went from Assembly member to Senator and now Dan or Persepolis will join me on that same track.

And I continue to insist that you would have been active anyway, especially if we created compensatory positions to deal somewhat with the decrease in positions brought about by the abolition of regions.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #424 on: May 27, 2009, 08:24:09 PM »

Aye, Aye, Aye.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies