Parliamentary Bicameralism (Discussion Open)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:42:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Constitutional Convention (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Parliamentary Bicameralism (Discussion Open)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19
Author Topic: Parliamentary Bicameralism (Discussion Open)  (Read 94262 times)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: May 05, 2009, 06:21:55 AM »

Option 1
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #326 on: May 05, 2009, 09:42:38 AM »

option 1
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #327 on: May 05, 2009, 07:24:42 PM »

Option 1. Maybe a few minor changes here and there to it, but it's pretty good.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #328 on: May 06, 2009, 12:07:22 PM »

Final Vote Totals
Option 1 = 13 (Marokai, Hashemite, $Dan$, PiT, Lief, ilikeverin, afleitch, Daniel Adams, Verily, dead0man, Franzl, AndrewCT, Smid)
Option 2 = 0
NOTA = 1 (bgwah)

Quorum: Achieved
Option 1 Passes
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

« Reply #329 on: May 07, 2009, 03:47:09 PM »

I make a motion that we vote to reduce the regions to three and rewrite Article I for three regions, not five. We can work out the details of the regions later on.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #330 on: May 07, 2009, 03:52:05 PM »

I make a motion that we vote to reduce the regions to three and rewrite Article I for three regions, not five. We can work out the details of the regions later on.

I say we move on to the next Article and work out the regions at the end. The best idea is to get all the proposals done, vote which one we want, and then work out the miscellaneous issues that may prove contentious. No reason to go through these fights over and over for each proposal.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #331 on: May 07, 2009, 03:53:35 PM »

I say we move on to the next Article and work out the regions at the end. The best idea is to get all the proposals done, vote which one we want, and then work out the miscellaneous issues that may prove contentious. No reason to go through these fights over and over for each proposal.

Ok, just trying to get this active. What is the next Article?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #332 on: May 07, 2009, 04:11:00 PM »

I would like to see someone craft an Article on the Prime Minister and on the President. Although I am somewhat questioning the need for a separate one for the PM. His powers have been outlined in Article I. What would be added by an addition article?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #333 on: May 07, 2009, 04:13:30 PM »

I would like to see someone craft an Article on the Prime Minister and on the President. Although I am somewhat questioning the need for a separate one for the PM. His powers have been outlined in Article I. What would be added by an addition article?

The procedures of his election, though that does not need to be enumerated in the Constitution. For the PPT's election I think it is laid out in the OSPR, actually.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #334 on: May 07, 2009, 04:49:46 PM »

*yawn*

I proposed an article on the PM and President a while ago.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

For the people who did care, the main issue was term limits.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #335 on: May 07, 2009, 11:11:23 PM »

Considering the time spent writing and editing half of this stuff, I don't go searching pages back to find these things. Not to mention the potential for things to change when articles are passed ahead of this one.

Here is the written version of Article II as written by Hashemite and edited by me:

Article 2: The Government

Section 1: Role of the Prime Minister
1. The Head of Government of the Republic of Atlasia shall be a Prime Minister.
2. The Government of Atlasia shall consist of the Prime Minister and his or her chosen Ministers.

Section 2: Election of the Prime Minister
1. The Prime Minister shall be elected by the joint sitting of Congress after every election involving either or both chambers, or in the event of the vacancy of the position.
2. No Person shall be eligible to become a candidate for the office of Prime Minister who has not attained two hundred or more posts, is not a member of Congress, and is not a registered voter in Atlasia.
3. In order to be a candidate, a person must announce their candidacy and receive the endorsement of three other sitting members of Congress.
4. Elections of the Prime Minister shall be through public post in a specially designated thread to be opened and certified by the President of Atlasia.
5. If a candidate has received half plus one of the votes cast, he shall be deemed elected.
6. If no candidate has received half plus one of the votes cast in the first round of voting, the lowest-placed candidate for Prime Minister is eliminated before a second round of voting is held.
7. The conditions in Clause 5 continue until a candidate has received half plus one of the votes cast, at which time he or she shall be deemed elected.
8. Upon the election of a Prime Minister, the Prime Minister-elect, in a speech to the joint sitting of Congress, shall present his government's agenda for the parliamentary term.
9. Upon conclusion of this speech, the members of the joint sitting of Congress shall vote in a confidence vote on the Prime Minister and his agenda, which shall require half plus one of all votes cast to carry. In the event that the motion is lost, the process shall be repeated until a Prime Minister has been chosen and the Congress has carried a confidence motion. Any Prime Minister removed by a loss of a confidence motion shall be ineligible to be a candidate for said position in the same Congress.

Section 3: The Cabinet
1. Upon the carrying of the confidence vote outlined in Section 1, Clause 9, the Prime Minister shall name his appointed Cabinet.
2. No Person shall be eligible to become a Cabinet official who has not attained two hundred or more posts, and is not a registered voter in Atlasia.
3. A Member of Government shall hold no other paid position in a profession, business or on the executive board of a corporation.
4. The Cabinet posts shall be determined by statute following the adoption of this Constitution, or as needed by the Prime Minister in ad-hoc appointments. All ad-hoc Cabinet members are subject to approval by the Senate.
5. The Government shall be responsible to the chambers of Congress. Any Cabinet member may ask to address the legislature at any time.
6. The Prime Minister may dismiss any Minister at his discretion.

Section 4: Confidence Motions
1. A Member of Congress may move a motion of confidence in the sitting government with the support, through public post, of four other members of Congress.
2. The Member of Congress moving said motion shall have the right to detail the reasons behind his motion before a joint sitting of Congress.
3. The Prime Minister or a Person so delegated by the Prime Minister through public post shall have the right to express opposition to said motion in a speech before the joint sitting of Congress.
4. When the conditions set out in Clauses 2 and 3 have been met, the individual chambers of Congress shall hold separate votes on the motion, in which members may only vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain, where an abstention shall be considered a vote of no confidence.
5. A confidence motion shall last exactly 72 hours and shall require a vote of half plus one of all attending voting members, totaling no less than a quorum, to carry.
6. If the confidence motion is lost in each respective chamber of Congress, the Government and Congress shall be instantly dissolved and new elections held as expressed in Article I, Section 4 of this Constitution.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #336 on: May 10, 2009, 07:16:58 PM »

Okay, seeing as this Convention looks like a ghost town, I bring Article II to a vote. Please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain. The vote will last for 48 hours.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #337 on: May 10, 2009, 07:21:27 PM »

Aye on my article Smiley
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #338 on: May 10, 2009, 07:55:16 PM »

Aye, but I have a question about Sec. 3 Clause 3, how would this affect people who run newspapers? I value alot of the newspapers existing in Atlasia and I wouldn't like to see them affected by that.
Daniel Adams
Georgia

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: 2.43

« Reply #339 on: May 10, 2009, 08:18:03 PM »

Aye, but I have a question about Sec. 3 Clause 3, how would this affect people who run newspapers? I value alot of the newspapers existing in Atlasia and I wouldn't like to see them affected by that.
I agree Sec. 3 Clause 3 is problematic. I would like to see this clarified before I vote.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #340 on: May 10, 2009, 08:59:40 PM »

Are you paid for your services as an Atlasian paper? If not, no worries.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #341 on: May 10, 2009, 09:47:50 PM »

Aye
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #342 on: May 10, 2009, 10:04:42 PM »

Aye
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #343 on: May 11, 2009, 07:14:02 AM »

I am willing to take out Section 3.3 if people don't like it for some reason.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #344 on: May 11, 2009, 09:50:59 AM »

I support no change, so Nay.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #345 on: May 11, 2009, 09:52:46 AM »

Aye
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #346 on: May 11, 2009, 11:55:06 AM »

Newspapers are not paid in Atlasia, as far as I can tell. For game purposes, it's a cute provision without any meaning, although obviously if this were implemented in real life it would be significant.

Anyway, Aye.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #347 on: May 11, 2009, 11:58:58 AM »

I don't have a problem with that clause anymore, in the light of those comments, so I drop my objections to that little part. Smiley
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #348 on: May 11, 2009, 12:43:05 PM »

Aye
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #349 on: May 11, 2009, 12:55:07 PM »

Aye