Presidential Parliamentarian (Discussion Open) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:16:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Constitutional Convention (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Presidential Parliamentarian (Discussion Open) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Presidential Parliamentarian (Discussion Open)  (Read 39247 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: April 05, 2009, 02:36:10 PM »

Realistically though, that would probably be something not contained in the constitution, right? Our current constitution is very vague with regards to how elections are run, if I remember correctly.

It's because our election system has been amended piecemeal to try and suit different demands and tastes over time. Whatever system that is chosen (open PR or party list PR) will to an extent depend on what people want; party based politics or personality based politics (or a mix). I am in favour of a PR system but whether it is a party list should really depend on the government system chosen. In some circumstances it can work very well, in others it may be seen as 'restrictive' if your favoured candidate has been shunted down the list because of party politics. It also cause some pissed off party members quitting and running as a one person list Smiley Which could be a good or a bad thing!

On the issue of the president, in this I agree that he should have powers that act as a counterweight to the PM. I think that was touched upon here; https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=94209.msg1953553#msg1953553
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 07:05:24 AM »

I like Lief's proposal...and Purple State's idea about delegating redrafting power to the Prime Minister.

Seconded
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 07:07:21 AM »

Aye
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies