Presidential Parliamentarian (Discussion Open) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:39:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Constitutional Convention (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Presidential Parliamentarian (Discussion Open) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Presidential Parliamentarian (Discussion Open)  (Read 38993 times)
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« on: April 04, 2009, 02:16:33 PM »

What type of powers do PMs normally have? Also I think it would be best if the President symbol of the country, with little power.

Prime Ministerial powers depend on the country you're looking at.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 03:15:45 PM »

What type of powers do PMs normally have? Also I think it would be best if the President symbol of the country, with little power.

We could base it off of France, as they are a prominent country with a powerful President & a Prime Minister.

Semi-presidential then?

Well, why not just make it like the US Presidential powers? Head of State, Head of Military, Head of the Courts etc.

What would the President be then?
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 04:01:53 PM »

We could base it off of France, as they are a prominent country with a powerful President & a Prime Minister.

Semi-presidential then?

Well, why not just make it like the US Presidential powers? Head of State, Head of Military, Head of the Courts etc.

What would the President be then?

He could be like the US VP. I don't really know, I'm just throwing Ideas out there, where is more then most delegates are doing.(And I'm not even a delegate.)

If the President is like the American Vice President, then better not have one at all. Have somebody else break ties.

He'd be less relevant than Presidents in most countries with a ceremonial Presidents.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 04:03:27 PM »

Semi-presidential then?

Pretty much.

In France, historically, the Prime Minister pretty much deals with most internal stuff, thus meaning all the local crap falls onto his shoulders. The President can stand high by going meet world leaders, taking care of foreign affairs, and visiting poor countries.

Do we really want that? I don't.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 04:22:57 PM »

I think that the plan we had devised was that the Prime Minister would be in charge of the legislature, leading legislative initiatives, picking cabinet members (who would function something like American committee chairs), and setting the national policy. The President, on the other hand, would be more of a popular representative of the people, in charge of kind of checking the parliament, given the ability to veto, some legislative abilities (either introducing his own bills in a special legislative slot or putting certain bills up to national referenda), and given some ability over dismissing prime ministers and dissolving parliaments.

I must say this is better than the alternatives proposed.

Of course.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 01:30:21 PM »

I very much like this idea of list PR proposed by Lief. Very much so. I hope it gets attention.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 07:05:09 AM »

If you care about universalism, then debate that in the appropriate thread. Move on that instead of being picky and being difficult. This is frustrating.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 04:13:41 PM »

Aye
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies