Presidential Parliamentarian (Discussion Open)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:50:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Constitutional Convention (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Presidential Parliamentarian (Discussion Open)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: Presidential Parliamentarian (Discussion Open)  (Read 39026 times)
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: June 19, 2009, 05:26:34 PM »

Argh, now someone is introducing the status quo as an option?

Well, congrats, you win the convention.

I don't think any radical changes will make through public referendum anymore. They may have in February, but not now.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #101 on: June 19, 2009, 05:39:44 PM »

Also, just for discussions sake here:

Guys, regional Senate elections, as evidence by the ones currently happening, are boring and awful. Why do we want more of them again?

Six months ago I might have agreed with you, but I think there are alot more people who would participate if given the chance and these elections aren't really unchallenged. The Mideast, Midwest, and Northeast each had at least two candidates for the seat. Duke ran for the Senate in the special election and probably would run for the Senate if there were other opportunities for him to do so. The Pacific is of course a special unfortunate case, but we would at least find more candidates, we have plenty of them.

The old canard of not being able to fill the spaces isn't so true now.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #102 on: June 19, 2009, 05:45:40 PM »

I'm fairly surprised there's any lobbying for more Senate seats to be elected by regions considering the number of candidates who ran for Senate this time around.  In fact, if we're keeping the Regions, the number of Senate seats should be decreased, not increased.  Or perhaps put a cap on the number of people who can hold regional office.  Overall, we seem to have a shortage of people who want to run for anything.

Decreased? We have a record number of citizens and more voters now than we have previously.

I really doubt that.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Number of regions with competitive Senate elections (defined as ones that went past the first round)

Feb 2008: 1
June 2008: 2
Oct 2008: 1 (though "spoiled ballots" almost beat than all other candidates combined in this one)
Feb 2009: 2
June 2009: 0?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That's something I could live with.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #103 on: June 19, 2009, 06:57:31 PM »

I would say that the Midwest election is competitive. It would be more competitive if you, Jas, and Lewis Trondheim voted for Fritz.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #104 on: June 19, 2009, 07:06:43 PM »

I would say that the Midwest election is competitive. It would be more competitive if you, Jas, and Lewis Trondheim voted for Fritz.

They're subversive types. It's "cool." Wink
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #105 on: June 19, 2009, 10:33:44 PM »

They're subversive types. It's "cool." Wink

They're fighting the man, Dude!

ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #106 on: June 20, 2009, 05:18:08 PM »

Ah, competition by compulsion, I hadn't thought of that Wink
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #107 on: June 20, 2009, 06:00:33 PM »
« Edited: June 20, 2009, 06:06:15 PM by Senator Marokai Blue »

Well, with all due respect, Fritz is fairly close to your ideologies, and if you didn't spend so much time complaining about salads and talking about "loonyism" and more time taking things seriously and giving proper candidates due consideration, elections might turn out differently than they do now. You act like class clowns and then complain when the class doesn't turn out well.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #108 on: June 20, 2009, 07:14:29 PM »

Well, with all due respect, Fritz is fairly close to your ideologies, and if you didn't spend so much time complaining about salads and talking about "loonyism" and more time taking things seriously and giving proper candidates due consideration, elections might turn out differently than they do now. You act like class clowns and then complain when the class doesn't turn out well.

Don't worry, I understand that teh intarwebs is only for Very Srs Business.  Fritz is close to my ideology, but he started a thread called "No change!", whereas I've been calling for a complete overhaul of the entire system.  The Senate's ideological decisions have no impact whatsoever on my life in Atlasia, while forum affairs decisions do; thus, forum affairs are a more important component to my decision than ideology.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #109 on: June 20, 2009, 09:07:58 PM »

Don't worry, I understand that teh intarwebs is only for Very Srs Business.  Fritz is close to my ideology, but he started a thread called "No change!", whereas I've been calling for a complete overhaul of the entire system.  The Senate's ideological decisions have no impact whatsoever on my life in Atlasia, while forum affairs decisions do; thus, forum affairs are a more important component to my decision than ideology.

Well maybe if we had an active GM (glares at Ebowed) that would change. How does anything affect you life in Atlasia? This is supposed to simulate government and elections.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #110 on: June 21, 2009, 10:04:58 AM »

There's a ready-made Constitution on this model already.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies