Palin and AK-GOP Call on Begich to Resign
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 07:46:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Palin and AK-GOP Call on Begich to Resign
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Palin and AK-GOP Call on Begich to Resign  (Read 4241 times)
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2009, 01:20:11 PM »

These people are crazy.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2009, 09:36:25 AM »

This attempt to turn Stevens into some type of martyr is making me sick.

The Justice Department just did that (inappropriately).   Both Burris and Begich could have problems with how they got to the Senate, and that could affect re-election.

Palin, et al., are keeping the issue alive.  It might not work in IL, but AK is a GOP leaning state.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2009, 09:45:29 AM »

The Justice Department just did that (inappropriately).   Both Burris and Begich could have problems with how they got to the Senate, and that could affect re-election.

Palin, et al., are keeping the issue alive.  It might not work in IL, but AK is a GOP leaning state.

And after that, Santa Claus will come through the chimney and leave gifts for every kid that had been nice the year before.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2009, 11:16:37 AM »

Both Burris and Begich could have problems with how they got to the Senate, and that could affect re-election.

There isn't a single Democrat here who is sanguine about Begich's reelection chances, with or without the Stevens case being thrown out. I do feel pretty strongly that by 2014, the circumstances of Begich's victory will be irrelevant to his reelection chances, especially compared to Alaska's partisan bent. Everyone who cares would have been voting Republican anyway because they were wearing " the feds, vote for Ted" t-shirts last November.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2009, 01:28:19 PM »

And after that, Santa Claus will come through the chimney and leave gifts for every kid that had been nice the year before.

No it's good politics and great spin.  "The only reason Begich won is because of those nasty corrupt Justice Department lawyers (forgetting, conveniently, that they were Bush Justice Department lawyer) targeted Stevens (forgetting, conveniently, how corrupt Stevens really was).
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2009, 01:46:34 PM »

Reply to the quasi-trolling post and ignore brittain33's post. Typical and not what I wouldn't expect.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2009, 01:54:35 PM »

BRTD, I didn't see that post.

Both Burris and Begich could have problems with how they got to the Senate, and that could affect re-election.

There isn't a single Democrat here who is sanguine about Begich's reelection chances, with or without the Stevens case being thrown out. I do feel pretty strongly that by 2014, the circumstances of Begich's victory will be irrelevant to his reelection chances, especially compared to Alaska's partisan bent. Everyone who cares would have been voting Republican anyway because they were wearing " the feds, vote for Ted" t-shirts last November.

It makes reelection harder (and yes, it was hard before).  It also can help undermine anything Begich does politically politically for the remainder of his term.   It's not fair to Begich, but it is effective.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2009, 01:55:50 PM »

No it's good politics and great spin.  "The only reason Begich won is because of those nasty corrupt Justice Department lawyers (forgetting, conveniently, that they were Bush Justice Department lawyer) targeted Stevens (forgetting, conveniently, how corrupt Stevens really was).

Those nasty corrupt BUSH Justice Department lawyers.
Yep! It will be a huge hit among those Alaska latte liberals.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2009, 02:05:37 PM »

I have no doubt in my mind that if the partisan roles were reversed, and a Republican Senator was elected in a very close race over a Democrat who was indicted - and said charges were later shown to be false - that the DNC would be calling for said Senator's resignation and they would probably be filing civil rights lawsuits.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2009, 02:07:08 PM »

I have no doubt in my mind that if the partisan roles were reversed, and a Republican Senator was elected in a very close race over a Democrat who was indicted - and said charges were later shown to be false - that the DNC would be calling for said Senator's resignation and they would probably be filing civil rights lawsuits.
But you would be alone in that.

Note that nothing about the Stevens charges has been "shown to be false".
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2009, 02:40:51 PM »

You mean like they do now with Bob Riley in Alabama?
Daniel Z
Switzerland

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -5.91

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2009, 09:11:06 PM »

You mean like they do now with Bob Riley in Alabama?
Exactly it pretty much HAS happened before. To be fair the Republican sense of entailment is especially strong in Alaska, and I don't think there would be calls for resignation if this happened in another state.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2009, 10:16:32 PM »

They weren't false, it was just that the prosecutors screwed up.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2009, 10:03:45 AM »

But you would be alone in that.

Note that nothing about the Stevens charges has been "shown to be false".

Exactly. Stevens is as innocent as O.J. Simpson was.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2009, 11:34:00 AM »

Those nasty corrupt BUSH Justice Department lawyers.
Yep! It will be a huge hit among those Alaska latte liberals.

I think you read the small print, to understand that this is exactly the point.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2009, 12:53:52 PM »

The same way swing voters were going to think "Those evil Democrats and their lackeys in the liberal media are attacking sweet Sarah Palin." Yep.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2009, 11:16:15 PM »

Wow.  Why don't we hold revotes in Minnesota and Alaska on the same day?  Then both Republicans can lose again Tongue

Be sure to throw in Georgia!
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2009, 11:18:52 PM »

Begich won fair and square. Stevens is still a crook.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies