Convention Poll 1: Universal Participation
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 01:26:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Convention Poll 1: Universal Participation
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: If a Lower House was created to allow all citizens to debate and vote on legislation, would you participate?
Yes, a great deal

Yes, a bit and I would vote

Yes, infrequently

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 23

Author Topic: Convention Poll 1: Universal Participation  (Read 1890 times)
Fine...I Made This More Civil
persepolis

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2009, 11:59:27 PM »

Actually, I just thought of a possibility for a bicameral congress where the lower house is not universal.

I actually already proposed that, and it didn't get enough votes from delegates to pass to the next phase of the convention.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2009, 12:04:36 AM »

Actually, I just thought of a possibility for a bicameral congress where the lower house is not universal.

I actually already proposed that, and it didn't get enough votes from delegates to pass to the next phase of the convention.

As it so happened, I was able to put it forth & it looks like there's a real chance of a compromise between the proponents of the two major plans. Smiley
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2009, 09:22:16 AM »

Nothing would ever be able to be passed or in very rare situations. Imagine how many votes you'd need to pass anything and how innactive most people would be.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2009, 11:07:53 AM »

Nothing would ever be able to be passed or in very rare situations. Imagine how many votes you'd need to pass anything and how innactive most people would be.

Majority vote and no quorum. But that sorta puts debate power in the hands of those who are always active, while some members could mobilize zombies for vote power whenever the mood strikes them. Universalism straight is becoming less and less appealing, but the current compromise being struck in the Convention is a promising starting point.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2009, 12:20:01 PM »

Majority vote and no quorum. But that sorta puts debate power in the hands of those who are always active, while some members could mobilize zombies for vote power whenever the mood strikes them. Universalism straight is becoming less and less appealing, but the current compromise being struck in the Convention is a promising starting point.

Pretty much. People used to complain frequently about the RPP mobilizing inactive voters. If we had a universal lower house & did the same thing the complaints would multiply 10,000x.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies