Suggestions for Government Types (Closed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 02:08:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Constitutional Convention (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Suggestions for Government Types (Closed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Suggestions for Government Types (Closed)  (Read 10108 times)
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2009, 03:05:47 PM »

I was thinking about this in History class while trying not to fall asleep. I have a few issues with the Smid proposal (which I outlined in that respective thread, but nobody answered), though I agree with the general idea. Should I propose my preferred personal version or should I not since those issues could be fixed later?

If you agree with the general outline proposed in the blurb, but think there are certain policy differences you would take in constructing that model than I would vote for the basic premise and then propose your ideas when we start building.

If, however, you feel there is a fundamental difference between the blurbs I have in the first post of this thread and what you have in mind I would propose it.

Let me be clear, we aren't going to be asking for wholesale proposals like Smid's. We will be starting from scratch with a regime archetype and then go article by article, section by section and fit it together like a puzzle. The current proposals are meant to be as vaguely specific as possible.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2009, 06:18:29 PM »

Didn't really find a better thread for this:

What does everyone think of making everyone re-register when the constitution passes to clear the voter rolls of people who are no longer active for sometimes as long as six months
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2009, 08:45:21 PM »

Didn't really find a better thread for this:

What does everyone think of making everyone re-register when the constitution passes to clear the voter rolls of people who are no longer active for sometimes as long as six months

This will be one of those straggling issues the Convention will address at the end. I will go make a thread for these right now so we can add ideas of what to address as we think of them.

And, to voice my opinion, you would kill the game.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2009, 09:05:11 PM »

I think it would be worth considering a Consitutional Monarchy of sorts. In other words an executive (given the title of King or Emperor if we wanted to be more bad-ass) with greatly expanded powers who is elected not as frequently (perhaps only once a year). Also an idea would be that the executive has veto power over regional issues as well (but can still be passed by regional legislatures if done so by a 2/3 majority). There would still be the same basic structure with regions, governors and a parliament (which could take a number of forms). I personally feel that Atlasia needs a figurehead of sorts. In addition it would make the yearly (or I guess twice a year) campaign much, much more important, everyone would have to pay attention.

Atlasia has been in trouble in the recent past and needs a strong leader to get us through the coming days.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2009, 09:09:20 PM »

I think it would be worth considering a Consitutional Monarchy of sorts. In other words an executive (given the title of King or Emperor if we wanted to be more bad-ass) with greatly expanded powers who is elected not as frequently (perhaps only once a year). Also an idea would be that the executive has veto power over regional issues as well (but can still be passed by regional legislatures if done so by a 2/3 majority). There would still be the same basic structure with regions, governors and a parliament (which could take a number of forms). I personally feel that Atlasia needs a figurehead of sorts. In addition it would make the yearly (or I guess twice a year) campaign much, much more important, everyone would have to pay attention.

Atlasia has been in trouble in the recent past and needs a strong leader to get us through the coming days.

You caught me just as I was about to put up the thread. Lucky. I will combine this idea with the unitarianism (if it's alright with you), and make some sort of government in which the powers of the national executive are greatly strengthened over the power of the regions. This way you are seconding the unitarian form (and getting on the ballot) while just changing the blurb a little.

Work for you?
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2009, 09:16:46 PM »

You caught me just as I was about to put up the thread. Lucky. I will combine this idea with the unitarianism (if it's alright with you), and make some sort of government in which the powers of the national executive are greatly strengthened over the power of the regions. This way you are seconding the unitarian form (and getting on the ballot) while just changing the blurb a little.

Work for you?

No, not really. I don't want to see the regions lose any of their power... I just want a stronger and more relevant executive branch. Though because I am not blind I can see how the two conflict... Perhaps a solution is simply having regional governments that have their own legistlatures who enact laws and such but no national legistlative branch. Instead for laws to take effect on a national scale 3 out of four regions plus the King/President/Emperor must agree (in other words the law has passed all but one region and has the agreement of the executive, until then the laws would only be effective in the region(s) in which passed).
Yeah, basically I am just bouncing around ideas that would sound interesting.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2009, 09:39:10 PM »

I have closed this thread to additional proposals. The four candidates can be found in the Government Proposal Vote thread, which has not yet opened for vote. Currently, I am trying to determine the parameters of debate. Please contribute to that discussion, to be followed by brief debate and the vote.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2009, 10:02:09 PM »

Wow, nobody even seconded Abolitionism?  Jeez.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2009, 10:32:05 PM »

I'll second it for the purposes of debate, however I am concerned that it will require too many participants to be viable.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2009, 10:45:57 PM »

I'll second it for the purposes of debate, however I am concerned that it will require too many participants to be viable.

Really? Creating multiple small nations? We can't even decide if we want 3 or 4 regions and how we would go about dividing that up.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2009, 09:17:35 AM »

I will reopen this thread for proposals, as the vote will not be starting yet. There is currently a discussion on the parameters of that vote and the preceding debate.

Feel free to continue to post "actual" proposals and seconding one's you like.
Fine...I Made This More Civil
persepolis

« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2009, 10:52:18 PM »

I have a proposal.
Bicameral System Proposal:
I suggest we have a 10 region system, with delegates to a House delegated by population of region, with a 20 delegate limit. The second house will be a Senate, with one delegate from each region and no nationally elected Senators. Bills will be passed with the same system as the current USA system. This will get more people into the game and allow more people a chance to participate. There will be no governors. Each region will be self governing. Any duties, if there were any, of the governor will go either to a Senator or a Representative.

President: Our president will be elected by majority vote, as it is now. However, I propose that the VP and the President be elected separately, to promote more interest in elections and the office of President.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2009, 12:05:46 AM »

I have a proposal.
Bicameral System Proposal:
I suggest we have a 10 region system, with delegates to a House delegated by population of region, with a 20 delegate limit. The second house will be a Senate, with one delegate from each region and no nationally elected Senators. Bills will be passed with the same system as the current USA system. This will get more people into the game and allow more people a chance to participate. There will be no governors. Each region will be self governing. Any duties, if there were any, of the governor will go either to a Senator or a Representative.

President: Our president will be elected by majority vote, as it is now. However, I propose that the VP and the President be elected separately, to promote more interest in elections and the office of President.

I have slightly reworded the blurb to make the concept a little more broad. Most specifics can be worked out through the Convention. I actually like your idea though and I would urge a delegate to sponsor it and another to second it. It is titled Bicameral Nonparliamentarian.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2009, 12:46:22 AM »

I don't necessarily agree with it, but I'll sponsor it out of my desire to get as many proposals as possible into the Convention. I hope another delegate will second my decision.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2009, 06:20:05 AM »

I don't necessarily agree with it, but I'll sponsor it out of my desire to get as many proposals as possible into the Convention. I hope another delegate will second my decision.

I second it simply in order to provide choice. I disagree with the proposed system.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2009, 06:41:53 AM »

Thank you Senator. Smiley
Fine...I Made This More Civil
persepolis

« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2009, 04:38:55 PM »

I second it simply in order to provide choice. I disagree with the proposed system.

I am glad you chose to second it, and respect my plan enough to give it a chance in the "national spotlight," so to speak.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2009, 04:54:06 PM »

I am glad you chose to second it, and respect my plan enough to give it a chance in the "national spotlight," so to speak.

Oh no problem, I don't think any proposal should go unheard. Everyone should have the chance to present their ideas.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2009, 07:28:09 PM »

Plus, I like the proposal. I can't vote, but I'll be pushing for it to make the cut.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2009, 04:05:11 PM »

I am officially closing this thread. No additional proposals will be taken at this time. Thank you everyone that participated. Please continue to discuss the proposals in their respective threads. Voting will begin at 10pm EST in the voting thread.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies