The ilikeverin Proposals
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:05:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Constitutional Convention (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The ilikeverin Proposals
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The ilikeverin Proposals  (Read 2355 times)
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 20, 2009, 06:52:21 PM »

...إن شاء الله before everyone coalesces around Smid!

1) Abolish the national government.  You've heard it before and such.
2) Abolish the regions and go to a national lower house where everyone is automatically inducted.  Keep elections for higher positions, o/c, including perhaps expanding them to including the cabinet.  It would almost be as if we were simulating one big state/region.
3) Now that I mention it, why not pretend we're the 51st state that's somewhere random?  It would be a way to get rid of the whole are we the US continued or a separation nation dichotomy.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 10:46:42 PM »

This what is most like what I want to see. Get rid of the unused jank like Regions which no one actually cares about except as a political talking point. Keep only what we actually use right now: the Senate and some executive offices, excluding the Presidency. Give everyone something to do in a lower house of the legislature, which would maybe have advisory power or possibly full legislative authority.

We don't need or want to make the system complicated and full of positions that don't do anything meaningful. That's the problem with Regional government.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 12:26:54 AM »

2) Abolish the regions and go to a national lower house where everyone is automatically inducted.  Keep elections for higher positions, o/c, including perhaps expanding them to including the cabinet.  It would almost be as if we were simulating one big state/region.
3) Now that I mention it, why not pretend we're the 51st state that's somewhere random?  It would be a way to get rid of the whole are we the US continued or a separation nation dichotomy.

Our opinions are not far apart. I agree with making the game revolve around a national lower house with universal membership. The question where we may possibly differ is whether or not to create an elected upper house - I'm not sure if this is what you meant when you referred to by elections for higher positions. There are a few smaller differences, but I think we agree on a fair amount.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 08:29:58 AM »

Universal membership to anyone?  It would seem the numbers in the house would be switching quite often.  What about giving a vote in the lower house to every person that voted in the last election?
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 10:40:01 AM »

Our opinions are not far apart. I agree with making the game revolve around a national lower house with universal membership. The question where we may possibly differ is whether or not to create an elected upper house - I'm not sure if this is what you meant when you referred to by elections for higher positions. There are a few smaller differences, but I think we agree on a fair amount.

Right, there'd be an elected upper house, preferably, in my proposal.

Universal membership to anyone?  It would seem the numbers in the house would be switching quite often.  What about giving a vote in the lower house to every person that voted in the last election?

What's wrong with the numbers switching quite often?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 10:43:13 AM »

What's wrong with the numbers switching quite often?
You'd have people registering simply to vote on PMs and important bills.  Why not make it that you have to show some interest in the game before being granted a vote in the lower house?
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 10:53:06 AM »

DWTL makes a good point. I believe that the MPs should be those who voted at the last election. Or else we'll have fluctuating numbers, and a high number of totally inactive/disinterested "MPs".

And inactive MPs should be expelled.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 06:50:45 PM »

I suppose, but I don't want people to have to sit around biding their time for two months if they're going to be reliably active.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 10:49:29 PM »

I would say have the 10 period between registration and voting also apply to voting in the lower house.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies