Three important trends (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:40:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Three important trends (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Three important trends  (Read 8334 times)
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: October 02, 2004, 05:19:39 PM »

The fate of NJ remains to be seen, as its shift to the left is very recent, and many polls are indicating a close race in 2004.  

A high %-age of Jersey voters are left leaning independents.  As of right now, any decent democratic canidate will do very well here.  Gore in 2000 wasn't a great canidate, but it's not like he was the worst choice.  56% of NJ voted for Gore. (only NY, MA, RI, and MD gave Gore a higher percentage)  For the last several weeks, Kerry has looked like an idiot.  Jersey will rarely vote for an idiot anything.  We are also one big suburb, so we have alot of those middle class inner suburbs that are also largely republican.  That benefits Bush.  Our large black population of social liberalism among even those republican families is what helps democrats.

My overall view of my state is that security is the one thing that can benefit the GOP here.  Alot of security moms and the sort.  But almost every other issue helps the democrats.  If this election winds up close, Kerry wins easily.  

BTW, we are very much part of that left-swing going on in the northeastern suburbs.  I could see us giving democrats over 60% in fture presidential elections, especially ones where social issues play a bigger role.  
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2004, 10:03:51 PM »

The fate of NJ remains to be seen, as its shift to the left is very recent, and many polls are indicating a close race in 2004.  

A high %-age of Jersey voters are left leaning independents.  As of right now, any decent democratic canidate will do very well here.  Gore in 2000 wasn't a great canidate, but it's not like he was the worst choice.  56% of NJ voted for Gore. (only NY, MA, RI, and MD gave Gore a higher percentage)  For the last several weeks, Kerry has looked like an idiot.  Jersey will rarely vote for an idiot anything.  We are also one big suburb, so we have alot of those middle class inner suburbs that are also largely republican.  That benefits Bush.  Our large black population of social liberalism among even those republican families is what helps democrats.

My overall view of my state is that security is the one thing that can benefit the GOP here.  Alot of security moms and the sort.  But almost every other issue helps the democrats.  If this election winds up close, Kerry wins easily.  

BTW, we are very much part of that left-swing going on in the northeastern suburbs.  I could see us giving democrats over 60% in fture presidential elections, especially ones where social issues play a bigger role.  

That is about the best analysis of NJ I have ever read.  NJ is not a democrat state in the same sense of RI and MA.  They are not Kool-Aid drinkers.  Given a strong, moderate Republican and a loony left liberal, the Republican will likely win.

A major factor keeping northern NJ from going as far left as NY probably is the desire to be as little like the city as possible.

That is why Bush cannot win here.  He is not a moderate.  A guy like Guiliani has a really good shot here, but I don't see how the conservative wing of the GOP would allow that.  You would basically need the match-up you described for the GOP to win in the current NJ. 
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2004, 09:17:58 AM »

Yea...sure. 
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2004, 02:03:10 PM »

" THe NJ republican party needs to find a reasonable way to keep the McGreevey situation in the news though."

Actually Tedrick, I think that McGreevy has a pretty high approval rating. Higher than Bush's anyway I believe.

I also consider it pretty shallow to do that. But something Rove would probably try.

Someone can be doing a good job and have a high approval rating and still kill the party.  Look at Bill CLinton.  The Democrats lost power under him, even when his approval rating was good.

Is it pretty shallow?  Yep.  Is it good politics?  Yep.  Both parties do it all the time.

Jerseyites are smart enough to realize the whole fiasco was the fault of the governor.  Not the state Democratic party, and not John Kerry.  There will be no backlash. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies