The World's Most Powerful Nation in the 21st Century?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:11:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  The World's Most Powerful Nation in the 21st Century?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which Will It Be?
United States

China

India

Brazil

Japan

Other

None

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 23

Author Topic: The World's Most Powerful Nation in the 21st Century?  (Read 5663 times)
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 07, 2009, 02:11:07 PM »

Which Nation will be the dominant political force on the planet in the 21st Century?
Will There be a "dominant" force at all? Will It Be Multipolar Instead of Unipolar?

NOTE: The European Union Is Not included, due to it is not a country.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 02:14:52 PM »

Define "powerful".
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 02:18:50 PM »

The nation that is the hegemon.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 02:51:23 PM »

Definitely America for the first half of the century. China can compete with the US in 20-30 years but their population is aging fast and it is not clear if they can sustain their current growth for too long. India has a long way to go before it is a superpower of the scale of the US, but I see them as having the potential. As long as they can educate their masses and bring the fertility rate down to 2.0, they very well could be the superpower the of the late 21st century. But honestly I am only certain that America will be the superpower for the next 50 years.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 03:16:02 PM »
« Edited: March 07, 2009, 03:22:56 PM by Benedict »

America as a leader for the next 50 years, that's what I tend to think too, but I see it more as just a leader of an international union.

To me, the time when US could lead alone, by and for them, is ending up. And so, because the question is about a nation, I think that the time is ending up for the power of nations too, no matter China, India, Russia, Brazil, else. Times will be for unions I think.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 03:40:58 PM »

It is, and will continue to be, the United States.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 04:07:28 PM »

Liechtenstein, obviously.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 05:56:07 PM »

The U.S. looks to be the most powerful nation for quite awhile. China looks like it could become as strong as the USSR was in reality, but on more friendly terms with the United States. With an increasingly boundless technological innovations we could see unions of nations that are not even nearby like Japan, Australia, and Europe.

Latin America look like it will remain dominated by the U.S., but it is getting its act together currently and there is not a whole lot to divide the region (look how peaceful Latin America is compared with the rest of the world). Brazil will probably dominate unless all the Spanish speaking nations can unite.

Africa is not looking bright in the future and undoubtedly has become the center for the American-Chinese rivalry, although it appears that China is winning more friends with its money instead of military. America most definitely needs to invest in Africa, but clearly Africa won't bring out any world powers.

Europe won't come together most likely and will remain a high standard of living sort of place, but still overshadowed by American wealth and might and the upcoming Chinese power.

Russia is... looking to be falling apart...

India is a wildcard. Nobody is sure where its headed, but it seems possible it could gain impressive power. We will just have to wait and see.

I see more of a U.S. domination for the next 10-30 years, then a U.S. domination with a significant second power from China. After 50 years it probably won't be clear who is the most powerful, but China and the U.S. will share the title of world power. From then on is dependent on what happens between 2009 and 2060.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 10:45:37 PM »

With new global diplomacy and globalism like it is, no nation is going anywhere, so who cares who is the most powerful? You cant get wiped off the map. Its impossible barring the absolutely ridiculous. Everyone is the most powerful.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2009, 12:31:14 PM »

It will be the United States, though I have little doubt it will be the last century in which we will ever be dominant, and then only in one category: militarily. 
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2009, 02:57:04 PM »

The US. I was going to write why but it became a long confusing mess.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies