Minnesota Senate Race: What's the latest?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:56:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Minnesota Senate Race: What's the latest?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Minnesota Senate Race: What's the latest?  (Read 6533 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 03, 2009, 06:12:46 PM »

Huh??
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 08:04:55 PM »

Coleman finally rested his case after like five weeks of bad rulings for him and emberassing arguments(count the absentees, don't, count them, don't...), and weak and contradicting witnesses(or whatever term you wanna use). Now it's Franken's turn but I doubt he'll take five weeks, then there'll be the ruling sometime after that.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 03:24:26 AM »

any chance Coleman appeals to the Supreme Court?
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 08:37:18 AM »

I doubt he even has a case for the Supreme Court. And even if it got there, they'd probably just rule the same way as the Minnesota court did.

http://theuptake.org/
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 09:03:50 AM »

I doubt he even has a case for the Supreme Court. And even if it got there, they'd probably just rule the same way as the Minnesota court did.

http://theuptake.org/

Oh I agree the Supreme Court would rule the same way. I'm more concerned about how long this process is taking...and I'd like it to be settled as quickly as possible.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 10:43:34 AM »

If the situation were flipped, this would have ended weeks ago. Republicans are disgusting.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 05:16:02 PM »

Anyone think that this may have ruined Coleman's career?

Rossi did something simular in Washington and went from being even in 2004 to losing by about 7% this year.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 08:54:00 PM »

Anyone think that this may have ruined Coleman's career?

Rossi did something simular in Washington and went from being even in 2004 to losing by about 7% this year.

It might have helped that Obama won the state by 11 more points than Bush.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 03:19:02 PM »

I heard Coleman's now trying to push for a re-vote.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 04:21:34 PM »

I wonder how Republicans would have reacted if Gore decided to say "Too close, let's try again, Florida!"
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 08:14:46 PM »

I wonder how Republicans would have reacted if Gore decided to say "Too close, let's try again, Florida!"

LOL!!  I'm definitely not a fan of Al Franken, but I want this to be settled ASAP.  Minnesota needs two Senators, especially with Amy Klobuchar as the Senior Senator who herself has only been in since 2007.  Minnesotans of either party are not being well served at all by Coleman's repeated delays of the inevitable.

I think, and now hope, this has ruined Norm Coleman's career.  The people of Minnesota will hopefully learn their lesson not to elect this whiner and complainer again to anything.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 06:23:23 AM »

I doubt people are completely blaming this on Coleman.  I mean, Franken is forced to mirror each of Coleman's arguments in court (You found these ballots, well, we found more using your own system) and most people aren't on the ball enough to know that Coleman is really just a proxy for Cornyn at this point.  This close election has essentially just become a senate vote at this point.

But it's not like the Democrats can get GOP Senators to agree to vote to give the Democrats another Senate seat, no matter how frivolous the lawsuits are.  I mean, any GOP strategist can say that the longer and more muddled Franken's trial it is, the better the GOP is once Franken gets seated.  And that's not even counting the essential vote Franken could cast for various big bills coming up.

so yeah, I don't expect anything to happen soon.  Which is kind of unfortunate for Minnesota.  Coleman's counterargument, for the record, is that if Reid would declare the seat vacant, then Pawlenty could just appoint Coleman to serve until this lawsuit thingy is settled.

It might actually be better for the Democrats to get Kennedy to retire.  They'd need the same number of additional votes (they'd only have to get to 59) to break the cloture, but once the special election is held in MA and Stephen Lynch is the new senator (I hope I didn't ruin the surprise, but it's what will likely happen, trust me), then the Democrats will get a more consistent vote.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2009, 03:20:46 AM »

I wonder what this election will do to the future of Mark Ritchie.  I couldn't really see him being hurt by it.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 03:27:11 AM »

I wonder what this election will do to the future of Mark Ritchie.  I couldn't really see him being hurt by it.

He's done a great job at handling it, refraining from any publicly partisan actions (criticizing Coleman's delaying game etc) and handling it a respectful manner.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2009, 08:54:25 AM »
« Edited: March 09, 2009, 08:55:58 AM by ICE HOCKEY »

I doubt people are completely blaming this on Coleman.  I mean, Franken is forced to mirror each of Coleman's arguments in court (You found these ballots, well, we found more using your own system) and most people aren't on the ball enough to know that Coleman is really just a proxy for Cornyn at this point.  This close election has essentially just become a senate vote at this point.

But it's not like the Democrats can get GOP Senators to agree to vote to give the Democrats another Senate seat, no matter how frivolous the lawsuits are.  I mean, any GOP strategist can say that the longer and more muddled Franken's trial it is, the better the GOP is once Franken gets seated.  And that's not even counting the essential vote Franken could cast for various big bills coming up.

so yeah, I don't expect anything to happen soon.  Which is kind of unfortunate for Minnesota.  Coleman's counterargument, for the record, is that if Reid would declare the seat vacant, then Pawlenty could just appoint Coleman to serve until this lawsuit thingy is settled.

It might actually be better for the Democrats to get Kennedy to retire.  They'd need the same number of additional votes (they'd only have to get to 59) to break the cloture, but once the special election is held in MA and Stephen Lynch is the new senator (I hope I didn't ruin the surprise, but it's what will likely happen, trust me), then the Democrats will get a more consistent vote.

I would not want Lynch from MA.  Of the MA delegation, he definitely drank the most of the Bush/Cheney Kool-Aid.  I'm thinking more Richard Neal.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2009, 03:03:50 PM »

The gossip is that Coleman's not gonna appeal to the federal Supreme Court and that he's gonna replace Micheal Steele as RNC chairman.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2009, 05:52:21 PM »

The gossip is that Coleman's not gonna appeal to the federal Supreme Court and that he's gonna replace Micheal Steele as RNC chairman.

for real?  source?
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2009, 06:22:06 PM »

It's gossip, I can't give you a real "source", per se... Tongue
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2009, 01:59:15 PM »

when can we expect the first ruling here?
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2009, 04:29:38 PM »

The biggest shame here is not getting to see Al Franken sworn in by Dick Cheney.

Oh well.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies