Will DC Ever go Republican?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:26:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Will DC Ever go Republican?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Will DC Ever go Republican?  (Read 15667 times)
Zarn
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2010, 09:37:15 AM »

Not unless the Democrats do something that really ticks off African-American vote. With their vote being an essential foundation of the party, I wouldn't foresee that ever happenning. The reason why the Democrats lost the south in the 50s and 60s is because they put their belief in freedom for all americans before petty politics. The Demorat's press for civil rights alienated the south, but the Democrats didn't care if they lost a large bloc of support as long as they were doing what they believed was right. That kind of thing would never happen today, either party. That is why I believe that DC will always go Democratic

Republicans voted 138 to 34 for the Civil Rights Act. Dems voted 152-96. If the Republicans didn't support the act, it would have failed.

I suggest you research Senator Everett McKinley Dirksen. That doesn't mean wiki him.

Actually, Republicans have a much better track record on 'racial' equality.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2010, 05:57:55 AM »

Not unless the Democrats do something that really ticks off African-American vote. With their vote being an essential foundation of the party, I wouldn't foresee that ever happenning. The reason why the Democrats lost the south in the 50s and 60s is because they put their belief in freedom for all americans before petty politics. The Demorat's press for civil rights alienated the south, but the Democrats didn't care if they lost a large bloc of support as long as they were doing what they believed was right. That kind of thing would never happen today, either party. That is why I believe that DC will always go Democratic

Republicans voted 138 to 34 for the Civil Rights Act. Dems voted 152-96. If the Republicans didn't support the act, it would have failed.

I suggest you research Senator Everett McKinley Dirksen. That doesn't mean wiki him.

Lol. Not this sh!t again.

Are you a vile piece of garbage, or cluelessly repeating what a vile piece of garbage told you?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2010, 07:56:35 AM »
« Edited: July 25, 2010, 08:07:23 AM by Uncle Salty »

Lol. Not this sh!t again.

Are you a vile piece of garbage, or cluelessly repeating what a vile piece of garbage told you?

I have to agree with Lewis for once.
This rumour that the GOP was a beacon of racial equality throughout it's history is just LOL.  But no!  Just because they supported "civil rights" it suddenly means they were a "color blind" party!  I suggest those who also say "urr durr the Republicans voted a majority for Civil Rights!" to also take a look at the South Carolina gubernatorial elections immediately after the Civil War (where the Republicans who took power willingly made relations between freed blacks and whites much worse, Benjamin Tillman would've never been possible if it weren't for Radical Republicans trying to enforce their will at the ballot) and the 1928 US Presidential Election (when the Republican Party, the great "party of Civil Rights" abandoned the black vote just so they could win the votes of white protestants in the South, it was just an added bonus that his opponent was Irish Catholic, people who were usually despised by white protestants).  I could probably think of more examples (like their history of nativism).  Of course many of you probably never knew about this, given the politically correct history professors teach you.
I mean I am by no means a Democrat hack (face it guys, Southern Democrats left a pretty bad sh*t stain on your party's history), but the idea that the GOP was always this morally superior when it came to race relations is just LOL.  In fact, the GOP probably made it possible for the authoritarian Southern Democrats to rise to power.............
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies