Women in the Armed Forces
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:22:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Women in the Armed Forces
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Should we allow women in the military and armed forces?
Yes

Yes, but exempt them from any draft

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 65

Author Topic: Women in the Armed Forces  (Read 13241 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2004, 04:47:57 PM »

I think that women should be allowed to serve in the military, but I don't like female soldiers. Killing is not women's business and I wouldn't like to kill women in the battlefield. Women should be tender and sensitive not amazons.

If women were allowed to be soldiers, only a small percentage of women would choose to do so (note: I oppose the draft for both genders).

This would not stop the majority of women from being 'tender and sensitive'.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2004, 04:51:23 PM »

Women are not fighters emotionally (by nature), no matter how physically fit they are. It's not their duty to fight for the country, and as such it is immoral to draft them.

Some men are not 'fighters emotionally (by nature)', yet many make the argument that all able-bodied men should be drafted.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2004, 05:36:43 PM »

Women are not fighters emotionally (by nature), no matter how physically fit they are. It's not their duty to fight for the country, and as such it is immoral to draft them.

As nclib said, what about men who aren't fighters?  What about women who are?  Why can you not see the blatant sexist stereotypes you're making?

Anyway, who was that woman who was captured in Iraq again? She wasn't sent to fight on the front lines, but she sure ended up in danger. That's the kind of thing I'm talking about.

Um, yeah, that's one woman.  Lynndie England, that one female soldier in the Abu Ghraib pictures, did not exactly look like a poor, fragile woman.  Many more men have been captured than women.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2004, 07:20:35 PM »

The military is NOT about anyone's right to fight. Why do people give this ridiculous arguments people give for allowing women in the military.

I cannot believe some people actually support the notion of drafting women, regardless of whether there's a draft at all. Talk about lack of character.

If a woman can provide a good reason why she can't fight, she can be exempted, just as men can. But everyone who is physically fit and able to serve should be required to, if there is a draft. (which I oppose)

Even if your generalizations are usually true, they aren't always true, and I believe that treating everyone equally is more important than trying to force everyone to conform to your stereotype.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2004, 09:27:53 PM »

Why would you waste all that money setting up separate female facilities (I assume you don't want men and women working together, for obvious reasons)? To have women, and no other reason. With men, the reason is to protect the country.

Anyway, who was that woman who was captured in Iraq again? She wasn't sent to fight on the front lines, but she sure ended up in danger. That's the kind of thing I'm talking about.

Why fight wars in the first place? (I assume you support military action in order to protect freedom.)

If we're going to fight to defend freedom, we should make sure women's freedoms are protected.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2004, 12:29:01 AM »

Being able to fight and screw up the armed forces is not freedom.

There's no comparison between a man and a woman mentally and emotionally. Some men aren't fighters, but they all are by nature.

I said that particular woman was in danger. I didn't say she was incompetant. I don't want women in danger, especially not because of any draft.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2004, 05:34:55 AM »

PFC Jessica Lynch was the name of the soldier.
Tory

« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2004, 12:23:41 PM »

I served with women in the Navy, didn't see a problem with it.

I don't think that women should be allowed in the infantry or any any sort of direct-combat unit.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2004, 08:04:58 PM »

You've obviously never been to North Philadelphia. 
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2004, 09:37:28 PM »

I'm willing to draft them, then
Redefeatbush04

« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2004, 04:30:20 PM »

Your prejudice is painful to read Phillip
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2004, 04:37:27 PM »

What prejudice would that be?
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2004, 10:05:18 AM »

Yes, but i oppose either men or women being drafted, save in the absolutely most dire circumstances.
raggage

« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2004, 09:07:14 PM »

Absolutely let them in. I know of many highly competent female police officers who do their jobs very well, both physically and otherwise. I believe the same would be the case in the military.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2008, 09:45:22 PM »

Yes -on condition that they also be subject to the draft, if it is ever reinstated.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2008, 09:50:03 PM »

Of course. 

(Although there are certain segments of the military that shouldn't integrate.   Subs for example.  I'd have no problem with an all woman sub crew, but it would be really hard to get them up to speed without some integration in the mean time.)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2008, 09:54:20 PM »

Absolutely.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2008, 10:28:47 PM »

Yes -on condition that they also be subject to the draft, if it is ever reinstated.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2008, 11:22:43 PM »

Are we planning on a draft?
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2008, 11:34:57 PM »

I am in favor of allowing women to serve, in and out of combat situations.  While I oppose the draft, as long as we have a draft, I believe women with special skill sets can and should be called up. 

I do think that women should not be treated much differently from men.  For example, if male recruits must shave their heads, female recruits should, too.  The hair is shaved for a number of reasons including ease of care, health and sanitary reasons, unit cohesion (we're all alike and all in this together), it's cooler in heat and finally -- it's one of the first steps in showing the recruit his ass is Uncle Sam's now.  Maybe it's harsh, but most female soldiers and sailors I have talked to have told me that would not have been a deal-breaker for them. 

As to physical standards, they should be rigorous for both sexes.  I would make exceptions for either gender, however, in cases of special skill sets.  Of course, sometimes, people with certain skills can be contracted with or hired full-time as civlian military employees.  But if, for some reason, a person needs to be in the chain of command and rank, I am not against exempting them from certain requirements.

For example, if the Army needs good surgeons or dentists or shrinks...while I think they should have as much basic training as they can handle...I wouldn't automatically disqualify them because they can't do 100 push ups at the end of basic.

Willy Woz
Yemen

Political Matrix
E: -8.71, S: -5.13

« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2008, 12:21:50 AM »

Depends.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix