Absentee voting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 12:31:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Absentee voting
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Absentee voting  (Read 4049 times)
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2009, 06:07:50 PM »

Is there any reason I could not designate myself? Am I not a member of the executive? Smiley
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2009, 06:10:18 PM »

I think somebody does need to sue now. Hashemite?

The electoral laws have been violated...and I have no idea what implications this will ultimately have. I doubt there's any precedence for this.

Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2009, 06:11:12 PM »

Is there any reason I could not designate myself? Am I not a member of the executive? Smiley

Why not designate all members of the executive in case something happens to you too. I am not one to beleive in aliens but something just keeps gobbling up our officials. Cheesy
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2009, 06:12:23 PM »

The electoral laws have been violated...and I have no idea what implications this will ultimately have. I doubt there's any precedence for this.

No precedence? I can tell you haven't been around that long Wink. We've had numerous election disasters. One time the voting booth "disappeared" after everyone had voted!
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2009, 06:13:39 PM »

No precedence? I can tell you haven't been around that long Wink. We've had numerous election disasters. One time the voting booth "disappeared" after everyone had voted!

Oh sure, there have been disasters, but I don't think there is one concerning not opening the absentee booth. (Correct me if I'm wrong though).

A court would have to decide now what exactly happens in this case.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2009, 06:14:27 PM »

Oh please enlighten us newbies. What was done to fix that situation?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2009, 06:26:09 PM »

They usually just opened the voting booth a week later.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2009, 06:44:50 PM »

In that case, should we include the folks who declared after February 14th on the ballot since the deadline is technically a week before the opening of the regular voting booth?
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2009, 06:59:45 PM »

The lack of absentee booth on time is not a new thing. This has happened a few times in the past without controversy (because nobody requested the absentee vote) and most people didn't notice. The truth is, this isn't a new depth for Atlasia.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2009, 07:00:12 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Doesn't sound like it
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2009, 07:00:37 PM »

The lack of absentee booth on time is not a new thing. This has happened a few times in the past without controversy (because nobody requested the absentee vote) and most people didn't notice. The truth is, this isn't a new depth for Atlasia.

Oh Peter, enlighten us with your wisdom. What should we do!!
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2009, 07:05:58 PM »

F all.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2009, 07:08:20 PM »

Doesn't sound like it

Ah, I was unfamiliar with the exact wording of the statute. Could've checked it myself though, I guess.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2009, 09:59:07 PM »

F all.
Damnit! I hate it that you're always right.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2009, 12:32:33 AM »

Nonetheless, do we still use CESR? It states

The Constitution clearly gives the Senate power to set such regulations.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2009, 12:38:47 AM »

I'm pretty sure we do. When the Vice-Presidential Election Amendment was up for debate, Lewis said that he figured we could just amend the CESRA to achieve that effect.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2009, 12:45:54 AM »

I'm pretty sure we do. When the Vice-Presidential Election Amendment was up for debate, Lewis said that he figured we could just amend the CESRA to achieve that effect.

What?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2009, 12:50:50 AM »

What?

A little while back, there was debate on an amendment that would have changed it so that the President & Vice-President are elected separately. Lewis suggested that this did not need an amendment & could occur by amending CESRA.

My memory is a little foggy, so I might be getting some details wrong. If you want, I could find the thread.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2009, 01:01:26 AM »

Oh, maybe so, but this is different, or is specifically gives the Senate the power to set regulations for absentee voting. Article V, section 2, clause 8 says:

[quoteThe Senate may by appropriate legislation determine the procedure for absentee voting.[/quote]

Article I also gives the Senate the power to assign duties to executive officers.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2009, 01:25:51 AM »

Oh, maybe so, but this is different, or is specifically gives the Senate the power to set regulations for absentee voting. Article V, section 2, clause 8 says:

Article I also gives the Senate the power to assign duties to executive officers.

Ah. I don't know if we're in shape to do any such thing right now since our PPT just resigned & our VP recently took over a week to break a tie.

Still, as Franzl found out earlier, the President can give an executive officer permission to open a voting booth:

Quote from: Restricted
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2009, 04:01:49 AM »

I'm of the opinion that the President can empower himself to operate in place of the SoFA, per s.9(1) CESRA.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2009, 07:10:53 AM »

It might be best in the interest of fairness, considering myself and the President are both on the ballot, to pass the power to Franzl or Hashemite. Not that I don't trust Bgwah - I just don't want any grumbles about public confidence during a mini-crisis.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2009, 08:46:45 AM »
« Edited: February 18, 2009, 09:51:10 AM by TCash101 »

Ah. I don't know if we're in shape to do any such thing right now since our PPT just resigned & our VP recently took over a week to break a tie.

Still, as Franzl found out earlier, the President can give an executive officer permission to open a voting booth:

I don't think you're getting what I'm saying about the Senate. Some in the thread were arguing that if no one requested to absentee vote, it didn't matter. I'm stating that the Senate already passed regulations stating a booth is supposed to be open. Maybe no one will care and it won't matter, but technically a booth should be open. I agree with Franzl and Jas- this is the executive branch's area of responsibility, bgwah should appoint someone or do it himself.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2009, 11:05:46 AM »

I don't think you're getting what I'm saying about the Senate. Some in the thread were arguing that if no one requested to absentee vote, it didn't matter. I'm stating that the Senate already passed regulations stating a booth is supposed to be open. Maybe no one will care and it won't matter, but technically a booth should be open. I agree with Franzl and Jas- this is the executive branch's area of responsibility, bgwah should appoint someone or do it himself.

Oh. I pointed out earlier that the absentee voting booth is necessary:

Actually, it would seem that the absentee voting booth is required. The use of the word "shall" would indicate that the establishment of the absentee voting booth is a legal obligation.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2009, 06:53:26 PM »

I apologize folks, my mouse hadn't been working for the last couple of days, and I have been pretty busy lately. I'm working on the official ballot as we speak.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies