America 2050- We talk about future elections...but what will the stances be? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:28:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  America 2050- We talk about future elections...but what will the stances be? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: America 2050- We talk about future elections...but what will the stances be?  (Read 13932 times)
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« on: October 17, 2013, 08:22:50 PM »

I don't know about 2050, but in the coming decades, I think there are some issues that are destined to develop.

Many major economic issues in the future will be those related to our aging populace.  

I expect Social Security to be a big flash point in the future.  Even now, you see the Millennial generation opposes Social Security because they think that they may never see the benefit from it.  As long as each generation is larger than the one that comes before it people can expect to get more out of the system than they put in, but once that reverses the system is hard to sustain.  The US will become much more friendly to immigrants, seeing them as a way to reduce the age ratio.  Immigration is an advantage that the US will have over any other western nation, and I expect the US to be very prosperous compared to the rest of today's first world nations.

My guess is that artificial intelligence and genetic engineering/human cloning will be major social issues in the future.

I think its almost given that in the future a computer will gain true sentience.  I can imagine that there will be mass paranoia about sentient computers and fear that they might become malicious.  Meanwhile, 'designer babies' will become a reality in the future, especially for the very rich, which will only increase the gap between classes as the children of rich people accrue more advantages.  

Other issues in the future will be space exploration and colonization and foreign policy as always (though I don't feel comfortable speculating on the particulars of it).  

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies