America 2050- We talk about future elections...but what will the stances be?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:43:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  America 2050- We talk about future elections...but what will the stances be?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: America 2050- We talk about future elections...but what will the stances be?  (Read 13928 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2013, 09:29:40 AM »

I'd imagine that if someone did travel in time and change the past, we would never know it would happen. This is the second most plausible thing (something like Crono Trigger). The first most plausible thing is that time travel is impossible or that civilization goes extinct before it figures it out (sort of like a book called Evolution where within the lifetimes of most posters here, civilization gets destroyed by a mix of Global Warming, Terrorism and Genetic Engineering and in a thousand years civilization's survivors start to evolve back into animals). The distant third being that time travel just creates alternative realities (something like Stargate) and a forth being that Doctor Who is real.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #76 on: October 20, 2013, 09:54:23 AM »

Though, I think I made this thread wondering what people really believed would happen with current and possible issues in 40 years and 4 have already come to pass.

My main things I was trying to poke out and get a natural, candid response about whether one of the two parties would "just give up" on abortion or gay rights just like conservatives had to do with overt racism in the 1960s or what liberals had to do with what is now known as Obamacare and its potential future expansions in the 80s and 90s. Of course, there will be new issues, too.

Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #77 on: October 20, 2013, 12:01:49 PM »

Though, I think I made this thread wondering what people really believed would happen with current and possible issues in 40 years and 4 have already come to pass.

My main things I was trying to poke out and get a natural, candid response about whether one of the two parties would "just give up" on abortion or gay rights just like conservatives had to do with overt racism in the 1960s or what liberals had to do with what is now known as Obamacare and its potential future expansions in the 80s and 90s. Of course, there will be new issues, too.

Oh yes, this thread.

I admit this was much fun, though you shouldn't be so shocked by some of the oddball responses.  After all, people are thinking of 2050 like Robert Zemekis thought of 2015 in Back to the Future Part II: REALLY REALLY SUPER DUPER FUTURISTIC LIKE INSANELY HYPERBOLICALLY PASTEL COLOURS FUTURISTIC MAN!!!!
Meanwhile, it is 2013 and we don't seem to be anywhere close to commercially available flying car suspensions or $50 Pepsi bottle.  A lot can change in two years though, let me tell you.

Rarely though is attention actually brought to political issues.  I mean, "silver or gold" is so 1896 mannnnnnnn.  By 2050 we'll probably be talking about something much more relevant, like whether or not to eliminate paper and coin currency entirely and replace it with entirely electronic payment.  This could result in an "Odd Man's" alliance of staunch civil libertarian left wingers and "Get Off Gold!" conservatives.  Electronic Paycard advocates would obviously be dominated by the business classes for ease of transactions as well as having your name in a database.  Eventually, as technology increases the debate further to whether Americans should stick to their government issued purchase cards or move onto implementing scanners into people's hands to facilitate transactions.  Civil liberty concerns run amok, giving rise to a third party movement called something like "the Free People's Party" that is opposed to the elimination of currency in favor of all transactions being electronic.  Corporatocracy runs amok as Democrats and Republicans battle over which banks should reign supreme.  Those against the forced electronic movement are divided further between those who want a return to paper backed currency (a far cry from their Gold Standard ancestors) and those who want a total eradication of the monetary system (basically, Star Trek).

Another possibility.
Biden his time
Abdullah
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #78 on: April 12, 2021, 07:50:39 PM »

Bumping.

This was an interesting conversation to read (it was created 12 years ago just after Obama's inauguration).

How well do you all think these predictions are aging?

Also, any posters who are still active who commented on this thread (Daily_Beagle, Antonio V, pbrower2a) what do you think about your older predictions?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies