America 2050- We talk about future elections...but what will the stances be?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:55:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  America 2050- We talk about future elections...but what will the stances be?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: America 2050- We talk about future elections...but what will the stances be?  (Read 13874 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2009, 12:06:59 PM »

Sounds like Futurama to me. I bet the world would probably be like Futurama by like 2250, if we discover how to travel in relativistic dimensons and speeds. Then again, if we ever did get FTL, would it change the world that much?
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2009, 03:19:25 PM »

Sounds like Futurama to me. I bet the world would probably be like Futurama by like 2250, if we discover how to travel in relativistic dimensons and speeds. Then again, if we ever did get FTL, would it change the world that much?

1. Someone would assassinate Hitler.

2. Someone would assassinate Stalin.

3. Someone would assassinate Miguel de Torquemada. (Spanish Inquisition)

4. Someone would betray John Gacy and Ted Bundy to the relevant police forces.

5. Someone might bring a bicycle to the Roman Empire (I can't imagine a technology that would have done more good for more people at the right time) and show how to use it.

6. Someone might lock the door to the President's box at Ford's Theater during a performance of Our American Cousin in April 1865.

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2009, 03:36:27 PM »

5. Someone might bring a bicycle to the Roman Empire (I can't imagine a technology that would have done more good for more people at the right time) and show how to use it.

6. Someone might lock the door to the President's box at Ford's Theater during a performance of Our American Cousin in April 1865.

Yeah, you're right. Cheesy
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2009, 05:32:16 PM »

Yes....but how would all of this make it easier for me to get laid?

Then again, back to something for all of us-

Maybe we could force Barbara Bush to have an abortion. Tongue

...or perhaps we would able to protect the Crazys from being sodomized by aliens. Then again, is that neccesarily a bad thing?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2009, 08:07:46 PM »

Helping out the Roman Empire would come dead last on my agenda.  I would be more eager to help the people who fought against them... for the most part.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2009, 08:09:22 PM »

And, of course, we all know what would be #1 on States' agenda

Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2009, 08:21:39 PM »

And, of course, we all know what would be #1 on States' agenda

LOL

Ironically he would still end up under a strong federal government. I could so picture him being one of the villains though.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2009, 11:49:06 PM »

Where's the suicide booths? We were supposed to have those last year!
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2009, 07:50:31 PM »

Where's the suicide booths? We were supposed to have those last year!

Well, already a few states are not arresting their doctors for it.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2009, 11:12:22 PM »

Hmmm...this is who I think will be the strongest countries in the world (in no particular order) in 2075-

Total Population 13 000 000 000  (growth of 110% of today) (G)GDP: 350 000 000 000 000  (growth of 700% of today)
United States of America- 700 000 000  Capital: Washington, D.C.
Federation of Mexico-   400 000 000   Capital: Mexico City, D.F.
European Union- 800 000 000         Capital: Brussels
Commonwealth of Turkey- 850 000 000  Capital: Moved to Istanbul
South African Confederation- 1 000 000 000  Capital: Johannasburg or Nairobi
The Federation of Japan- 1 000 000 000  Captial: Tokyo
Christian Republic of Poland- 600 000 000  Captial: Warsaw
Republic of India-  2 500 000 00  Capital: New Delhi
Empire of Persia- 500 000 000  Capital: Tehran
Brazil: 500 000 000 Captial: Brasilia

Second Rate Powers:
State of Israel (only surviving sovreign nation on the Eastern Mediterrian)- 10 000 000 Capital: Tel Aviv
Buddhist Republic of Tibet Capital: Lahsa- 400 000 000
Austrailia Capital: Sydney- 40 000 000
New Zeland: Wellington 7 000 000
Confederacy of the Tartars Capital: Tashkent 300 000 000

Disputed Territories: Siberia- U.S.A., Japan, Tartary
                                 Western Africa- African Confederacy, Commonwealth of Turkey
                                 Indonesia: India, Japan
                                 Sonoma/Ariza- U.S.A., Mexico
                                 Tunisa, Morocco- European Union, Commonwealth of Turkey
                                 Sarmatia- Poland, Turkey
                                 Croatia, Transylvania- Europe, Turkey and Poland
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2009, 12:47:06 PM »

Any other takers?
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2013, 11:12:44 AM »

Helping out the Roman Empire would come dead last on my agenda.  I would be more eager to help the people who fought against them... for the most part.

Roman Empire? Who cares. The people of the Roman Empire? Much different.

The bicycle would have been the simplest modern technology to imitate in antiquity, and it alone would have made life safer and more efficient. It would have also made slavery harder to enforce. It's just surprising that nobody invented it until modern times.

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2013, 11:47:54 AM »

Zombie times, or at least generalized cannibalism due to collapse of environment, agriculture and energy supply.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2013, 01:26:57 PM »

Zombie times, or at least generalized cannibalism due to collapse of environment, agriculture and energy supply.
I think the US will look more like Yugoslavia than former USSR. Can't let all these guns go to waste.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2013, 01:32:10 PM »

I think the US will look more like Yugoslavia than former USSR. Can't let all these guns go to waste.

They have cannibalism in the former Yugoslavia?
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #65 on: October 17, 2013, 01:34:57 PM »

They have cannibalism in the former Yugoslavia?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balkanization
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2013, 01:43:06 PM »

Yeah I know all about Balkanization, seatown.  But I was talking about cannibalism.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2013, 01:49:34 PM »

Yeah I know all about Balkanization, seatown.  But I was talking about cannibalism.
Well the US owners are already cannibalizing the country... and that will stop once there is not sufficient energy(fossil fuels) to do so, and we will see some pretty spectacular fighting. As for literal cannibalism I don't see it happening, most people will die before they get hungry.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2013, 08:06:13 PM »

Well the US owners are already cannibalizing the country... and that will stop once there is not sufficient energy(fossil fuels) to do so, and we will see some pretty spectacular fighting. As for literal cannibalism I don't see it happening, most people will die before they get hungry.

Though I am optimistic that there are progressively more fossil fuels as they find better ways to get to it. Though I think when capitalism finally separates itself from those who are not capitalists, it will be interesting to see what happens next.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2013, 08:22:50 PM »

I don't know about 2050, but in the coming decades, I think there are some issues that are destined to develop.

Many major economic issues in the future will be those related to our aging populace.  

I expect Social Security to be a big flash point in the future.  Even now, you see the Millennial generation opposes Social Security because they think that they may never see the benefit from it.  As long as each generation is larger than the one that comes before it people can expect to get more out of the system than they put in, but once that reverses the system is hard to sustain.  The US will become much more friendly to immigrants, seeing them as a way to reduce the age ratio.  Immigration is an advantage that the US will have over any other western nation, and I expect the US to be very prosperous compared to the rest of today's first world nations.

My guess is that artificial intelligence and genetic engineering/human cloning will be major social issues in the future.

I think its almost given that in the future a computer will gain true sentience.  I can imagine that there will be mass paranoia about sentient computers and fear that they might become malicious.  Meanwhile, 'designer babies' will become a reality in the future, especially for the very rich, which will only increase the gap between classes as the children of rich people accrue more advantages.  

Other issues in the future will be space exploration and colonization and foreign policy as always (though I don't feel comfortable speculating on the particulars of it).  

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2013, 08:24:00 PM »

Roman Empire? Who cares. The people of the Roman Empire? Much different.

The bicycle would have been the simplest modern technology to imitate in antiquity, and it alone would have made life safer and more efficient. It would have also made slavery harder to enforce. It's just surprising that nobody invented it until modern times. 

The bicycle is deceptively simple.  First off a Roman bicycle is going to be heavier, simply because it'll end up being made mainly of wood with expensive metal used only where absolutely necessary.  Imagine something like an early velocipede only with pedals and a chain drive.  The wheels in particular will be heavier for there will be no wire-spoked wheels. Also because of lack of materials, it'll have to have solid tires rather than pneumatic ones, so it'll be far less comfortable and the lack of rubber means they won't grip as well making them less safe.  Last but not least, you can forget about there being ball bearings for the wheels.  Maybe roller bearings or a plain bearing.

Given the expense involved in making even the inferior Roman version outlined above, dropping a bicycle off in the Roman Empire is not going to set off transportation revolution.

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2013, 08:39:57 PM »

I don't know about 2050, but in the coming decades, I think there are some issues that are destined to develop.

Many major economic issues in the future will be those related to our aging populace.  

I expect Social Security to be a big flash point in the future.  Even now, you see the Millennial generation opposes Social Security because they think that they may never see the benefit from it.  As long as each generation is larger than the one that comes before it people can expect to get more out of the system than they put in, but once that reverses the system is hard to sustain.  The US will become much more friendly to immigrants, seeing them as a way to reduce the age ratio.  Immigration is an advantage that the US will have over any other western nation, and I expect the US to be very prosperous compared to the rest of today's first world nations.

My guess is that artificial intelligence and genetic engineering/human cloning will be major social issues in the future.

I think its almost given that in the future a computer will gain true sentience.  I can imagine that there will be mass paranoia about sentient computers and fear that they might become malicious.  Meanwhile, 'designer babies' will become a reality in the future, especially for the very rich, which will only increase the gap between classes as the children of rich people accrue more advantages.  

Other issues in the future will be space exploration and colonization and foreign policy as always (though I don't feel comfortable speculating on the particulars of it).  

There has already been born children that have been born from prescreen embryos and now they are trying to get approval for IVF with mitochondrial DNA donors.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2013, 11:00:10 PM »

Though I am optimistic that there are progressively more fossil fuels as they find better ways to get to it. Though I think when capitalism finally separates itself from those who are not capitalists, it will be interesting to see what happens next.
That's not optimistic... it'll be a different type of catastrophe, environmental degradation.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2013, 11:04:23 PM »
« Edited: October 17, 2013, 11:06:58 PM by Indeed »

Yeah I know all about Balkanization, seatown.  But I was talking about cannibalism.

That's not optimistic... it'll be a different type of catastrophe, environmental degradation.
That's true but at least there might be a future that could come of it. Perhaps there will just be the collapse of our civilization, but it could be the start of a new one.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #74 on: October 19, 2013, 01:46:10 PM »

Technically, if time travel has changed our past, it has already happened.

In other words, if someone in 2500 decided to go to the roman empire and change something, those changes would have already been manifested in the history of the roman empire we know today. It's not like someone changes something, then the entire world history is changed, those changes have already happened in the past

Think about it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies